News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

The Secret Histories, #1

Started by Doktor Howl, July 27, 2010, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 27, 2010, 06:20:32 PM
Quote from: Doktor Charley Brown on July 27, 2010, 06:19:02 PM
Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on July 27, 2010, 06:16:34 PM
It would be interesting to see what would happen internationally if the US split up into 6 pieces.

I would expect UN "peacekeeping" forces on our shores in 10 minutes.

Paid for by whom?   :lulz:

Point.

LMNO

The new immigration rules would be a hoot, too.

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on July 27, 2010, 06:22:01 PM

The border fence would be moved to the NORTH Texas border.

Zyzyx

Quote from: Doktor Charley Brown on July 27, 2010, 06:23:07 PM

The wastes will mold the remaining Texans and assorted Westerners into powerful warriors, who will then invade the rest of the country Cimmerian-style.

But say the US separated again, wouldn't the areas with more militaristic, survivalist mindsets wind up gaining dominance by virtue of their raw dickery?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Zyzyx on July 27, 2010, 06:28:11 PM

The wastes will mold the remaining Texans and assorted Westerners into powerful warriors, who will then invade the rest of the country Cimmerian-style.

But say the US separated again, wouldn't the areas with more militaristic, survivalist mindsets wind up gaining dominance by virtue of their raw dickery?

Never been to Texas?  They're a pack of pussies there, mostly, who rest on the laurels of Sam Houston and a bunch of other slaving scum from 170+ years ago.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 27, 2010, 06:29:57 PM

Never been to Texas?  They're a pack of pussies there, mostly, who rest on the laurels of Sam Houston and a bunch of other slaving scum from 170+ years ago.

They LINE DANCE for fucks sake!

Zyzyx

Quote from: Doktor Charley Brown on July 27, 2010, 06:31:42 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 27, 2010, 06:29:57 PM

They LINE DANCE for fucks sake!
I suppose you're right. Farthest west I've ever been is San Antonio.

Though I did qualify, the remaining Texans. What you said makes sense, too - I know plenty of coddled old money folks from Houston, many of whom wouldn't last ten minutes in a cartel boss's distribution plant.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Zyzyx on July 27, 2010, 06:36:52 PM

Though I did qualify, the remaining Texans.

Oh, we'll just keep them in the same drawer as the remaining conservatives and all the classic liberals we have left.
Molon Lube

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Oddly I agree with Doc on almost everything he stated... including the "solution".

The only bit I disagree with is the plan of the people that started this mess.

What I've read from letters between the players, from their essays and rants and trolling... is that they didn't expect this thing to last for 200 years, at least not without major overhauls. Hell, at least some of them didn't expect the Constitution to be enshrined, they expected it to be thrown out once someone had a better one put together. The Constitution, as it was, was considered the "Well, we got to have something" kind of solution.

That is, they kludged the whole country together, with the idea that Free people, a government run by the people would come up with a better solution. What they didn't count on was Belief, Dogma and the tendency for humans to think something is The Best notwithstanding evidence to the contrary. Look at how Americans fawn over the Constitution as though its the most perfect document in history, or how many 'patriots' think the word means loudly screaming that this IS THE BEST country and anyone who disagrees can go sit on nails... or how our Constitutional Scholars spend ages agonizing of a phrase of the hastily written document (full of compromises and bits to fix later) to determine what the founder's INTENT was.

Their intent was to get King George and his Red Coat wearing stooges off their new Republic... the document was just one brick in the foundation...

I think sometimes we believe too strongly that those poor sods knew what they were getting into. I don't think they would have predicted the strength of the federal government, the civil war, the abuse of power going completely unchecked by the masses... I mean hell, some of those guys presumed that you needed a good war every few decades just to keep shit interesting. I think it would stun them to see the centuries of Americans sitting on their asses while the government slowly took over their lives and choices.

However, thats all in the past and Dok was writing about now and the future... and I have to agree with him, the only future I foresee is one where states break away either by the collapse of the federal government or through secession. The sad part is, I doubt any of them will have even half the clue that the "founding fathers" had. Those guys were smart, well educated people for their time, they read books and studied history... look at the people who are 'leading the charge' right now... how many of them have actually read serious political philosophy books or studied the errors of past governments? Now, how many of them are ideologically driven nuts, focused on bringing about THEIR VISION of the US, based on bad coffee and hate?

Its gonna be ugly.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 27, 2010, 07:57:37 PM

Their intent was to get King George and his Red Coat wearing stooges off their new Republic... the document was just one brick in the foundation...

Perhaps you are conflating the constitution with the articles of confederation.
Molon Lube

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 27, 2010, 07:59:09 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on July 27, 2010, 07:57:37 PM

Perhaps you are conflating the constitution with the articles of confederation.

Gah! You are correct :)

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I was going to include a bit about the Articles and the later modification of those into the Constitution... but apparently it got lost... and now I'm stuck in a phone conference... more in a bit :)

Remington

Dok and Richter are awesome. I could totally see this happening, and I agree that it might be a good thing. Multiple secessions could happen in Canada as well: If anything we've got more divisions and differences than the States. The only thing keeping us together is the fact that Canadians are in general quite laid-back, and that we don't quite have the same amount of national stress as the Americans do.

Tim Hortons is actually one of the major societal forces maintaining the status quo up North. No joke.

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on July 27, 2010, 06:02:35 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 27, 2010, 06:00:12 PM
Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on July 27, 2010, 05:59:21 PM
Oh. I see.

We Doktors don't meddle in the affairs of monkeys.  We simply observe, record, and giggle like schoolgirls.

That would be Professor territory, wouldn't it? Where are they when we need them?
*Waves while taking notes
Is it plugged in?

Telarus

Thanks for the link in the What is the Machine thread, Dok!
This post is mostly so I can find this later and read through from page1.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Jenne

...anybody check out Nebraska lately?

yeah.

The "new wave" of Amurrica.  It's so...cozy.  And whitewashed.  Though it seems the news outlets find the most shit-kickin'est of the redneck-sounding (read: Southern accent) proponents of the state-sovereignty-saving measures (quote-unquote) they can.  Not that there ISN'T correlation with that causation, or vice versa rather...it's just...a very interesting can of worms the local Republicans are going to have if they refuse to adhere to the "Latinos are the Irish of the 21st century" factoids...