News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

Unlimited "Guns, Fuck Yeah!" Thread

Started by AFK, January 20, 2013, 12:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 20, 2013, 03:31:32 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2013, 03:20:49 AM
Lots of shit is dangerous in a free society.  Hell, the idea of the 4th amendment is dangerous.  It all boils down to a choice between authoritarianism and the perceived safety if promises, or a free and open society which is by nature dangerous.  I support the latter, for two reasons:  First, the safety promised by authoritarianism is illusory at best, and second, safety isn't particularly healthy for primate brains.  It's not what we're geared for...And in a society in which the safety Nazis pretty much run everything, I like the idea of keeping at least this sort of danger around.

I don't, especially when it results 6 year olds gunned down in schools.  I draw the line there.  Something has to change, if it means less freedom for gun owners, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Well, hell, you may as well get rid of the 4th amendment, too.  Make it easier to bust drug dealers and illegal gun owners, right? 

And you always seem to be in favor of less freedom for everyone.  Just saying.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

Well, I don't happen to think it would be less freedom to ban assault weapons.  People would still have the right to own guns.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 20, 2013, 03:36:53 AM
Well, I don't happen to think it would be less freedom to ban assault weapons.  People would still have the right to own guns.

In every argument on every subject, you come down on the authoritarian side. 

*shrug*

Nothing wrong with that, I suppose.  Different strokes and all.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on January 20, 2013, 03:38:10 AM
Did you not read ECH's post at all?  :?

"Assault weapons" is the new 911.  Never mind that few of the people hollering about it seem to know what the hell they are.

AFK

No, I come down on the side of that which would make our communities healthier and safer.  It is as clear as day that we have a gun culture in this country that is deadly.  "Do nothing" is not an option.  Well, it IS an option, but one that has us killing dozens of people every day.  Not acceptible.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 20, 2013, 03:43:37 AM
No, I come down on the side of that which would make our communities healthier and safer.  It is as clear as day that we have a gun culture in this country that is deadly.  "Do nothing" is not an option.  Well, it IS an option, but one that has us killing dozens of people every day.  Not acceptible.

Sure it's acceptable.

I'm a big fan of Patrick Henry.

The Good Reverend Roger

And what you and I said about which side you come down on are not mutually exclusive.

You want to force people to be safe, I don't.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2013, 03:39:36 AM

"Assault weapons" is the new 911.  Never mind that few of the people hollering about it seem to know what the hell they are.

Yeah, it confuses me. Handgun bans I could kind of see the logic of. "Assault weapons" bans seem like the product of ignorance and fear. If you want to ban guns, at least ban understand what it is you're banning, and why. FFS, if you want to ban the most dangerous weapons, ban hunting guns within the city limits.

Some of the legislation I could see making a difference (over time) would be things like no-cost registration, voluntary registration drives (instead of buybacks, because the data shows that buybacks aren't useful), and low-cost mandatory gun safety training. I'm not very optimistic that any of those would make a big dent, but it would probably help to some extent.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

See, ECH's post makes a lot of sense, and so does TGRR's, to a point. Guns, by their very nature, are dangerous, and arbitrary distinctions aren't going to do much.

And life is dangerous. But in the same way the gvt should provide an economic safety net in the face of capitalism, they should provide at least SOME sort of protection of the citizenry when it's pretty obvious a lot of people are getting needlessly killed simply due to the presence of a piece of mechanics.

AFK

Yes, doesn't change the fact that we need gun control.  And of I had my way, we WOULD go farther than just "assault weapons", but I know my opinion is in a pretty small minority.

AFK

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2013, 03:45:24 AM
And what you and I said about which side you come down on are not mutually exclusive.

I want to keep kids from being gunned down in their goddamned classrooms.  Period.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on January 20, 2013, 03:47:00 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2013, 03:39:36 AM

Yeah, it confuses me. Handgun bans I could kind of see the logic of. "Assault weapons" bans seem like the product of ignorance and fear. If you want to ban guns, at least ban understand what it is you're banning, and why. FFS, if you want to ban the most dangerous weapons, ban hunting guns within the city limits.

Some of the legislation I could see making a difference (over time) would be things like no-cost registration, voluntary registration drives (instead of buybacks, because the data shows that buybacks aren't useful), and low-cost mandatory gun safety training. I'm not very optimistic that any of those would make a big dent, but it would probably help to some extent.

In my dad's day, they taught firearms as a school course in 12th grade.  In Canada, mind you.

In my day, the boy scouts had firearms classes.

Now you can't get the classes until you're an adult, but everyone and their dawg has a gun.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 20, 2013, 03:48:45 AM

Yes, doesn't change the fact that we need gun control.  And of I had my way, we WOULD go farther than just "assault weapons", but I know my opinion is in a pretty small minority.

I think what you're after is people control.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 20, 2013, 03:50:38 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2013, 03:45:24 AM

I want to keep kids from being gunned down in their goddamned classrooms.  Period.

I want to keep kids from getting their entire lives ruined over a pot bust.  Half a dozen of one, six of another.