News:

i mean, pardon my english but this, the life i'm living is ww1 trench warfare.

Main Menu

Nook Tablet vs. Kindle Fire

Started by Luna, November 22, 2011, 12:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

If I were in a position to be shopping...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20111121/us-tec-digital-life-tech-test-nook-tablet-glance/

QuoteStorage: The Nook Tablet has 16 gigabytes of storage plus a memory-card slot. Of the built-in memory, all but 1 gigabyte is reserved for content bought from Barnes & Noble.

That, right there, means I won't be buying a Nook Tablet.  If I pay for the bloody thing, they don't get to tell me what I can read on it.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Triple Zero

1. couldn't you crack it?

2. if it's otherwise better than the alternative, and the memory card is a standard SD or micro-SD that you can pop in and out from the outside without removing the battery or turning the device off, then I wouldn't mind, SD's are cheap. (some shop here had 4GB micro SDs for EUR 2.50 whoo).

3. how big is the average ebook anyway? 5 MB means you can still store 200 of them in a GB.

but looking at the article, it actually does not seem better than the alternative Kindle in any other way, or does it?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

MMMW

Luna

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 22, 2011, 03:34:21 PM
1. couldn't you crack it?

2. if it's otherwise better than the alternative, and the memory card is a standard SD or micro-SD that you can pop in and out from the outside without removing the battery or turning the device off, then I wouldn't mind, SD's are cheap. (some shop here had 4GB micro SDs for EUR 2.50 whoo).

3. how big is the average ebook anyway? 5 MB means you can still store 200 of them in a GB.

but looking at the article, it actually does not seem better than the alternative Kindle in any other way, or does it?

Average eBook is around 400kb.  Yeah, that's a K.  My current Kindle has a 3GB drive, and I regularly haul around a thousand or so e-books on it, mostly because I'm too lazy to run through it and cull off the ones I don't want.

I suppose it could be cracked, but would beat the heck out of me how to do it, I'm a technoidiot.

For me, it's not a matter of storage space, it's the idea that they're telling me what I'm allowed to store on MY gadget.  With a Kindle, it's actually quite possible to walk into Best Buy, pick one up, and never even have an account with Amazon.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Triple Zero

Luna, about that last thing, yeah you're right. One shouldn't even consider supporting such a deal. "15G for our books, 1G for the rest"

Quote from: MMMW on November 24, 2011, 02:59:15 AM
The new android seems legit. It's got up to 32 GB of microSD.

http://www.x10.com/promotions/airpad_7_inch_android_tablet.html?SN#spec

That does indeed seem pretty good, I shall have to check into that, I could use a tablet.

Battery life could be a bit better, IMO? Doesn't a modern netbook get 6 hours of battery on WiFi as well?

Would've been sweeter if it had an eInk display instead, but you only get those in eReaders not tablets, do you?
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Luna

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 24, 2011, 04:32:19 PM
Luna, about that last thing, yeah you're right. One shouldn't even consider supporting such a deal. "15G for our books, 1G for the rest"

Quote from: MMMW on November 24, 2011, 02:59:15 AM
The new android seems legit. It's got up to 32 GB of microSD.

http://www.x10.com/promotions/airpad_7_inch_android_tablet.html?SN#spec

That does indeed seem pretty good, I shall have to check into that, I could use a tablet.

Battery life could be a bit better, IMO? Doesn't a modern netbook get 6 hours of battery on WiFi as well?

Would've been sweeter if it had an eInk display instead, but you only get those in eReaders not tablets, do you?

I've yet to see color eInk, don't know if it's possible.  The Kindle Fire has an 8 hour battery life.  My Kindle, with the e-ink screen has a battery life of "take it camping for a week, as long as you leave the wireless off, you MIGHT have to plug it in.  Once."

Triple Zero

of course, when I said eInk it was with the understanding that it was going to be B&W.

Luna

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 24, 2011, 04:46:02 PM
of course, when I said eInk it was with the understanding that it was going to be B&W.

I would give a cup size off my boobs for working, color eInk.

Or ANY kind of color display with the battery life of the eInk.  I'm not likely to upgrade to either of these anytime soon, actually...  I have a netbook, I have a Kindle, I have a smartphone.  I don't need a tablet.