News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

I Thought It Was Fucking

Started by Eve, February 28, 2009, 08:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eve

I never imagined
as a little girl
that a kiss on the mouth
would be the defining factor
between a relationship
and a friend.

lol Eve poetry. I rarely share it but have gotten good feedback on this one (mostly because of the title), so here is.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That was good. And a little ouch, which means it worked.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Torodung

Love the idea, I don't understand the rhythm.

I was taught, and came to agree, that poetry is meant to be read aloud. Is that the intent here?

Reading silently, it makes my brain "wiggle." Is that what you were going for?

All told, high marks from the newbie. Thanks for sharing.
The only choice you're given is how best to burn
BURN BRIGHTLY

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think that with a piece this short, you can be pretty freeform without sacrificing impact when it's read aloud, because it doesn't continue long enough to fall into a defined rhythm. That said, if I was writing it, I would probably refine it so that the syllables in each line were a little more regular.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eve

Quote from: Torodung on March 01, 2009, 03:06:00 AM
Love the idea, I don't understand the rhythm.

I was taught, and came to agree, that poetry is meant to be read aloud. Is that the intent here?

Reading silently, it makes my brain "wiggle." Is that what you were going for?

All told, high marks from the newbie. Thanks for sharing.

Personally, I tend to prefer poetry that comes across as a little more "real" (interpreted differently for each person, of course). What that basically means is that I enjoy--and more often write--free form as opposed to rhyming schemes or metered verse. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with either form, it's just not what draws my attention as often, or what I usually write. It's something that I only really noticed when I started keeping copies of my favorite poems (paper notebooks, firefox bookmarks, and even a blog). I could wax on about it and give examples, but that's kind of unnecessary.

I'm not sure I'd agree that poetry is meant to be anything*. It is usually more moving and more powerful when read aloud, but that doesn't mean written poetry should be chucked in the garbage, either. I will give an example here--I've loved "We Real Cool" by Gwendolyn Brooks since I first read it at ~11 years old. When I heard a reading of it by Brooks, I actually found that I liked it a little bit less because her rhythm didn't match the one I had in my head. Doesn't mean either is wrong, though. Nigel hit it pretty right, I think; it's really too short to have a defined rhythm to it, but that was also somewhat intentional. As for the brain wiggle, I'm not really sure it's what I was going for since I'm not really sure what you mean by it. ;)

*Clarification: meant to be read in any particular way.

BADGE OF HONOR

Weird, one of the things I liked about it was the rhythm.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like it a lot the way it is. The only reason I said that that if it were mine I would make the syllables per line more even is because that's usually how I write... not because I think it should be changed. I quite like it the way it is, and didn't think "Oh, that should be tightened." It has good impact and reads well as it stands.

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Eve

Jasper

The sense of thinly contained emotions is palpable.  That was pretty, but not in a totally nice way.

AFK

Great poem Eve.  I think it reads fine.  Then again, I tend to write a lot of poems in this kind of style too, so I'm probably a little biased.   :D
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mu

I think its epic. I like the way i don't really get it, which is good so no-one go explaining it top me now will you  :D
"If the truth can be told, so as to be understood, it will be believed." - The Shamen, Re Evolution, 1992

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Mu on March 01, 2009, 08:16:11 PM
I think its epic. I like the way i don't really get it, which is good so no-one go explaining it top me now will you  :D

What if I only explain it to say that you'll get it someday?

Torodung

Brain wiggle: the effect of hearing the drone of a hive of bees, and then suddenly realizing that it's not one sound, but the individual sound of a million little bees all doing their own thing. Intracranial vibration and perspective shift.

That's the verbose. Not understanding the rhythm is just fine by me. That's why I said I "didn't understand" as opposed to "dislike."

I disagree, however, that metrical considerations only matter in longer poems. All it takes is a single foot, or whatever you happen to be doing. IMO, all that foot and stanza stuff is for folks who want to pigeon-hole poems, rather than enjoy them. IMO, rhythm is always a consideration in poetry.

I enjoyed this one.  :D
The only choice you're given is how best to burn
BURN BRIGHTLY