News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

Hey English people

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, November 13, 2012, 04:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Came across this website. What's up with this guy, is he trolling, crazy, a self-promoting attention whore, legend in his own mind? Some combination of the above? Some stuff I missed? Have you even heard of this guy?

I mean, the guy seems to think he's famous and keeps advising celebrities with his voodoo blog, whether they read them or not. But I'm pretty sure Lady Gaga has never heard of him, nor has any interest in his advice about botched pacts.

http://doktorsnake.me/
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on November 13, 2012, 04:11:18 PM
Came across this website. What's up with this guy, is he trolling, crazy, a self-promoting attention whore, legend in his own mind? Some combination of the above? Some stuff I missed? Have you even heard of this guy?

I mean, the guy seems to think he's famous and keeps advising celebrities with his voodoo blog, whether they read them or not. But I'm pretty sure Lady Gaga has never heard of him, nor has any interest in his advice about botched pacts.

British voodoo bluesman? Sold his soul to the Devil? Book comes with lucky mojo doll? This has "humorist" written all over it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

QuoteFrom the Author
Greetings!

I'm Dr Snake, a conjure man living on the eastside of paradise, in a rainbow land where a hoodoo sun shines and a mojorain falls.

My Spellbook - which you may be considering ordering - is a book of folk magic, or "hoodoo" as it is called in the American South. It also draws on magical elements from Voodoo, Santeria, and Macumba, all of which have their roots in Africa.

The book gets you started in casting spells that will help you gain money and prosperity, love and sex, and health and well-being. You will also be empowered to bring back a lost lover, repel enemies and avert the evil eye. I give clear instruction on how to use roots, potions, and herbal baths; how to construct Voodoo dolls and lucky mojo talismans; and how to set up a simple altar.

But it isn't just a cookbook in hoodoo sorcery. It's a book full of anecdotes concerning the adventures I had with my mentor, Earl Marlowe, a hoodooist and blues singer, who instructed me in the art of conjure.

Anyway, If you do decide to order my Spellbook I truly hope you will not only enjoy it, but will recognise that reality is not as it seems and that, in a certain sense, at least, anything is possible.

May Love, Peace & Happiness be yours...

Doktor Snake. The Name with No Man.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: CAKE on November 14, 2012, 03:03:57 AM

British voodoo bluesman? Sold his soul to the Devil? Book comes with lucky mojo doll? This has "humorist" written all over it.

That's what I was leaning towards, but I've seen enough of the other categories to wonder.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: CAKE on November 14, 2012, 03:05:26 AM
QuoteFrom the Author
Greetings!

I'm Dr Snake, a conjure man living on the eastside of paradise, in a rainbow land where a hoodoo sun shines and a mojorain falls.

My Spellbook - which you may be considering ordering - is a book of folk magic, or "hoodoo" as it is called in the American South. It also draws on magical elements from Voodoo, Santeria, and Macumba, all of which have their roots in Africa.

The book gets you started in casting spells that will help you gain money and prosperity, love and sex, and health and well-being. You will also be empowered to bring back a lost lover, repel enemies and avert the evil eye. I give clear instruction on how to use roots, potions, and herbal baths; how to construct Voodoo dolls and lucky mojo talismans; and how to set up a simple altar.

But it isn't just a cookbook in hoodoo sorcery. It's a book full of anecdotes concerning the adventures I had with my mentor, Earl Marlowe, a hoodooist and blues singer, who instructed me in the art of conjure.

Anyway, If you do decide to order my Spellbook I truly hope you will not only enjoy it, but will recognise that reality is not as it seems and that, in a certain sense, at least, anything is possible.

Oh, he's selling it again?

I thought it was a limited edition of 666 copies selling for 666 GBP each, and that he already sold every copy....

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on November 14, 2012, 03:07:54 AM
Quote from: CAKE on November 14, 2012, 03:05:26 AM
QuoteFrom the Author
Greetings!

Oh, he's selling it again?

I thought it was a limited edition of 666 copies selling for 666 GBP each, and that he already sold every copy....

BUT IT'S A JOKE.  :lulz:

MMIX

Never heard of him - but he's from Norwich- out in the swamplands of the deep East- so that's hardly surprising. Just seems to be your average common or garden weirdo ploughing his own furrow. But he calls himself DoKtor, so yanno, make your own call on that one  :wink:

Nigel may be right but I'm not seeing why
"British voodoo bluesman? Sold his soul to the Devil? Book comes with lucky mojo doll? This has "humorist" written all over it."

From over here it looks more like "oddball" than humourist. Are you saying that a white boy from Norwich can't be a voodoo bluesman? Did you listen to the music btw, music itself is well listenable but the voice, meh, not so much. I did like his song about Mitt Romney: AIN'T GONNA SELL MY SOUL TO SATAN (GONNA SELL YOURS INSTEAD) http://doktorsnake.me/2012/10/11/mitt-romney-aint-gonna-sell-my-soul-to-satan-gonna-sell-yours-instead/
Anyhow, thanks for pointing this guy out, it was certainly worth a giggle to look him up even if I don't actually think he's a joke. [well not in all senses of that phrase]
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: MMIX on November 14, 2012, 01:31:03 PM

Never heard of him - but he's from Norwich- out in the swamplands of the deep East- so that's hardly surprising. Just seems to be your average common or garden weirdo ploughing his own furrow. But he calls himself DoKtor, so yanno, make your own call on that one  :wink:

Nigel may be right but I'm not seeing why
"British voodoo bluesman? Sold his soul to the Devil? Book comes with lucky mojo doll? This has "humorist" written all over it."

From over here it looks more like "oddball" than humourist. Are you saying that a white boy from Norwich can't be a voodoo bluesman? Did you listen to the music btw, music itself is well listenable but the voice, meh, not so much. I did like his song about Mitt Romney: AIN'T GONNA SELL MY SOUL TO SATAN (GONNA SELL YOURS INSTEAD) http://doktorsnake.me/2012/10/11/mitt-romney-aint-gonna-sell-my-soul-to-satan-gonna-sell-yours-instead/
Anyhow, thanks for pointing this guy out, it was certainly worth a giggle to look him up even if I don't actually think he's a joke. [well not in all senses of that phrase]

He's not a bad guitarist, you're right. I guess part of it is, it does look like some sort of spoof on this end. But, you're all just a tad odd to us by default, so I'm not sure if he is joking, if he's a weirdo, or if he's trying to be England's answer to Dr. John.

Nephew Twiddleton

There's also bits like this that kinda raise the eyebrow:

QuoteDoktor Snake in da house, spills da beans on Mitt Romney, bust out boy...

Song written October 2012 by Doktor Snake. Doc on all vocals, guitars and drums. Recorded in da shotgun shack at midnite, when the hoot owl cries and the black cat moans. Doktor Snake wrote this song coz he's crazy angry 'bout Mitt Romney and the BIG LIE he tellin'

So, he's trying to emulate how, presumably, a voodoo bluesman from the South would talk, which is silly on its own, but then uses the word "coz" which an American would never use.

MMIX

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on November 14, 2012, 01:53:39 PM

Song written October 2012 by Doktor Snake. Doc on all vocals, guitars and drums. Recorded in da shotgun shack at midnite, when the hoot owl cries and the black cat moans. Doktor Snake wrote this song coz he's crazy angry 'bout Mitt Romney and the BIG LIE he tellin'

So, he's trying to emulate how, presumably, a voodoo bluesman from the South would talk, which is silly on its own, but then uses the word "coz" which an American would never use.

So what would your [US] equivalent of "coz" be?
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: MMIX on November 14, 2012, 01:58:31 PM

Cuz. We don't pronounce because with an aw.

It may seem like a minor thing, but it seemed immediately out of place with the rest of it.

MMIX

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on November 14, 2012, 02:10:49 PM

Cuz. We don't pronounce because with an aw.

It may seem like a minor thing, but it seemed immediately out of place with the rest of it.
See I thought you would say that. When I see "coz" i hear "cuz";  my partner agrees so I'm not the only one.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Because".

Or "Cousin".

Depending on what was supposed to be said.  We here in America cannot take responsibility for the mangling of the English language by the English, or by people living in the American Southeast.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Ah- i hear cause as in this caused an accident when i see cos or coz.

Nephew Twiddleton