News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

Does the BIP actually change who we *are*?

Started by Verbal Mike, February 12, 2008, 08:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

Mix acid and large doses of antidepressants maybe?

Though don't the drugs they use to treat Parkinson's cause inhibit one of the chemical receptors schizophrenics have a shortage of?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

B_M_W

1) I need to spend more time hanging out on PD.com. This thread is proof of that.

2) I need to read a book about the 8 circuit model one of these days.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: B_M_W on March 01, 2008, 07:08:34 PM
1) I need to spend more time hanging out on PD.com. This thread is proof of that.

IPrometheus Rising is the best book I've found on the subject.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

GlompChomp

I'd also recommend Prometheus Rising. Wilson sort of takes Leary's models and fleshes them out. Though the best point he makes in the book is that there are infinite possible circuits, but the first four are seemingly the most common. I don't think Leary ever said that.
widdly scuds

I stretch my penis in a saltwater toffee maker every Tuesday and Saturday.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: GlompChomp on March 02, 2008, 04:49:17 AM
I'd also recommend Prometheus Rising. Wilson sort of takes Leary's models and fleshes them out. Though the best point he makes in the book is that there are infinite possible circuits, but the first four are seemingly the most common. I don't think Leary ever said that.

Yeah, Bob kept with the "This is a model" view, even about models he really liked. ;-)

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

Quote from: B_M_W on March 01, 2008, 07:08:34 PM

Prometheus Rising is probably the best, I agree with Rata.  It is best to approach it as more of a philisophical model than a scientific one, just as a warning.  There is no 'evidence' for it, its just an interesting, and possibly useful way to think about things.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: GlompChomp on March 01, 2008, 05:19:02 AM
Not to be anal, but LSD doesn't really replicate schizophrenia. When it was first being used in psychotherapy, therapists thought it could be used to empathize with schizophrenics and share their experience. That proved to be ineffective as LSD doesn't cause prominent symptoms of endogenous psychoses (generally, schizophrenias and related psychoses) such as catatonia. Acid is fun, though.

'Twas a flippant joke. My friend is schizophrenic, I can't see any "fun" in being able to be temporarily schizophrenic.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

B_M_W

Quote from: Nigel on March 02, 2008, 09:48:25 PM
Not to be anal, but LSD doesn't really replicate schizophrenia. When it was first being used in psychotherapy, therapists thought it could be used to empathize with schizophrenics and share their experience. That proved to be ineffective as LSD doesn't cause prominent symptoms of endogenous psychoses (generally, schizophrenias and related psychoses) such as catatonia. Acid is fun, though.

'Twas a flippant joke. My friend is schizophrenic, I can't see any "fun" in being able to be temporarily schizophrenic.

Nothing fun about hallucinations and delusions combined with paranoia.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

GlompChomp

I could be stubborn and say that it would be fun for me. But I won't. Schizophrenia isn't fun. Probably shouldn't have said that. Must think more before posting.
widdly scuds

The Littlest Ubermensch

Quote from: B_M_W on March 02, 2008, 10:05:16 PM

Considering there are people who enjoy huge amounts of benadryl (though there aren't many), I suppose to some people it's fun.
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

GlompChomp

Quote from: The Littlest Ubermensch on March 03, 2008, 12:57:42 AM

Considering there are people who enjoy huge amounts of benadryl (though there aren't many), I suppose to some people it's fun.

I took large amounts of benadryl and all I got was a full body rash. Too busy itching my skin raw to be paranoid.
widdly scuds

Politician168023

Quote from: LMNO on February 13, 2008, 08:08:50 PM
This is not a criticism, this is an observation:

You seem to have an idea that who you "are" is a fixed thing, and our behavior and thoughts and beliefs are somehow separate from this core thing.

Further, if one's perceptions changes one's thoughts, and one's thoughts change one's behavior, that is only an external process, and the core thing remains as it was.

I tend to think in more integrated terms, that the "is" tends to be more malleable, and while perceptions are filtered, if the thoughts and behaviors change because of that, the "is" changes as well.

^^ requote as a bump

i am in process

i am located in space and time (not just space)

it often makes more sense to ask where i am than who i am

i iz plural

i iz a liquid, external forces are the container, the shape of the container is the winnar of those 2 forces pressing upon eachother, enlightening stuff is like a tap which drips into me more and expands the container.... no im not stoned.. honest

edit: this metaphor isnt too hot is it! ah well :D 

i iz also what you say i iz as well as what i say i iz, much to my distaste
This message is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. I disclaim all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall I be liable for any damages of any kind.

Disclaimer appropriated from Microsoft Corporation.

Politician168023

This message is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. I disclaim all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall I be liable for any damages of any kind.

Disclaimer appropriated from Microsoft Corporation.

hunter s.durden

This space for rent.

BootyBay

PCP is supposed to mimic schizo (it doesn't, but psychiatrists are slow).  In fact, the whole "chemical imbalance" theory is based on the known mechanism of action of drugs in the brain (how they affect neurotransmitters) and then assuming deviations from an accepted "normal state" are caused by abnormal levels of brain chemicals (i.e. like being high on drugs all the time).   There's no evidence for this, but it makes them feel like they're accomplishing something, and the drug co's get rich in the process, so I don't see who's really getting hurt (oh right... the people taking the medications.. lol).

I have schizo (whatever that means.. I hear voices and have delusions etc) and the only thing I can compare it to is dreaming.  It's not like any drug I've tried.  It's kinda like how when you're in the middle of a really weird and involving dream and everything makes perfect sense (even though upon awaking, you find it was all random BS) and you just *know* that this that and the other are real and don't feel compelled to investigate whether it's legitimate or not.

In short, schizo sucks, but it can be a lot of fun sometimes.  Especially if the hospital food is good. ;)
There are two kinds of people in this world.. Winners and losers.. I think we know which kind you are.