News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

ATTN: ADMINS

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 15, 2012, 06:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

With all the stalking that many of our members, including myself, seem to be on the receiving end of much of the time, it seems unnecessary and perhaps unwise to allow users who are not logged in to view people's profiles and search their post history. Few forums I am aware of have that feature turned on, for reasons that seem obvious; why would a non-member want to look at members' profiles and post history?

What do you say?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

My position on this is that they shouldn't be able to do so.  I have debated it with some of the other admins.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm not at all comfortable with the fact that unregistered users can riffle through my post history.

Just sayin'.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Luna

Logical, particularly given the stalker crap going on.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Pope Pixie Pickle

seconded, thirded and fourthed.

Cain

I understand why people want this, but realistically, it does almost nothing to raise the opportunity costs of datamining someone.

It's not going to make your information more secure, and apparently it's going to give a whole bunch of you the illusion of security, which IMO is more dangerous than the current system.

I'll vote for it to be turned off if you want.  It doesn't worry me to do so, because it wont make much of a difference.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on November 15, 2012, 07:40:58 PM
I understand why people want this, but realistically, it does almost nothing to raise the opportunity costs of datamining someone.

It's not going to make your information more secure, and apparently it's going to give a whole bunch of you the illusion of security, which IMO is more dangerous than the current system.

I'll vote for it to be turned off if you want.  It doesn't worry me to do so, because it wont make much of a difference.

It lets you conveniently page through someone's posts, etc, rather than googling a known item.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Faust

Quote from: CAKE on November 15, 2012, 06:15:32 PM
I'm not at all comfortable with the fact that unregistered users can riffle through my post history.

Just sayin'.

They can do that without going to your page or clicking that link. They can only access material you have made public.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Set Google (or another major search engine) to search a specific site, select a username and you get much the same thing.

I know, I've done it before.  It's no great obstacle.

Faust

Heres a funny thing I just found out, It's also an unrestricted feature not linked with having an account. Meaning that even if you make profiles private the feature and information is still available for guests

Now I am happy to turn it off, as I hate you and I love turning off search features, but it turns it off for all users not just guests.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on November 15, 2012, 08:00:45 PM
Now I am happy to turn it off, as I hate you and I love turning off search features, but it turns it off for all users not just guests.

Fuck.  That's not really a solution.  That's how I dig up old stuff for reuse/revisit.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on November 15, 2012, 07:56:55 PM
Set Google (or another major search engine) to search a specific site, select a username and you get much the same thing.

I know, I've done it before.  It's no great obstacle.

You know that. I know that. But the kinds of brain-damaged morons who tend to go to people's profiles and hit "view all posts by this user" in the hopes of finding something to threaten to sue Faust about, by and large, for some reason, do not seem to know that. Plus, it's possible to circumvent that just by changing our usernames, which happens often enough.

But, hell, if it suits some portion of y'alls egos to not turn of profile viewing for unregistered users, go for it, it's not going to change anything for me except not letting my kids register here.

Cain

What does ego have to do with any of this?

Sorry, I'm not in the mood to answer lazy ad hominem arguments.