News:

if the thee off of you are revel in the fact you ds a discordant suck it's dick and praise it's agenda? guess what bit-chit's not. hat I in fact . do you really think it'd theshare about shit, hen you should indeed tare-take if the frontage that you're into. do you really think it's the hardcore shite of the left thy t? you're little f/cking girls parackind abbot in tituts. FUCK YOU. you're latecomers, and you 're folks who don't f/cking get it. plez challenge me.

Main Menu

Ham Radio Thread

Started by Fractalbeard, June 05, 2010, 07:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fractalbeard

I've been seeing some bits flying around these forums about ham radio, and have come to some realizations:

1) I don't know shit about it (sorry about having nothing useful yet to say about it, I literally just started getting interested a couple of days ago!), but some of you seem to, and I've liked what you've said so far.
2) It could be a fun new avenue for us (or a group of us, whatever) to explore.
3) Could be good for some sort of shenanigans, although I don't know enough about the transmission regulations yet to gauge what "goes to far."

And most importantly,

4) I couldn't find a centralized thread on this forum about the subject, so perhaps this could be that thread.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insuficiently advanced.

Elder Iptuous

I'm pretty new to it, but it definitely needs some discordianism...

KF5BHQ,
has a handheld transmitter, and is ready to rawk....

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Ruro: Radios are the shit, if you can't afford a ham/training for it, you can always pick up a CB and decent 54" whip on the cheap (about $60 for both and no training required).

Elder Iptuous

the ham training is cheap (i'm assuming you are in the states.  i don't know about elsewhere).
you can get a book on it pretty cheap (i used this one. it teaches the test)
taking the test is pretty cheap, too.  i don't recall it exactly, but i think it was, like, 40 bucks.  and it lasts for a good while.

as far as the radio itself, they're certainly a bit more expensive than a walkie talkie.
i'd get a hand held transceiver first.  (referred to commonly in shorthand as an HT)
i got a Yaesu vx-7r for somewhere around 275 to 300, and it's great...

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Used to be one, but after 10 years I just didn't use it that often and let the license expire. And 'fun' on HAM is tricky. You really need to follow the general rules and behavior and whatever is considered courteous in the local area. Being a Discordian on HAM may get you a visit from the FCC.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Elder Iptuous

you can follow the rules and still say pretty much whatever you want.
although 'politics and religion' is frowned upon because the community wants to avoid over the air flame wars, you could still talk about 'discordian' topics...

also, although i haven't had the time to get into it really, if you are into the technology side of it, there's plenty of geeky fun in development with the digital stuff, it seems.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Iptuous on June 28, 2010, 08:51:21 PM
you can follow the rules and still say pretty much whatever you want.
although 'politics and religion' is frowned upon because the community wants to avoid over the air flame wars, you could still talk about 'discordian' topics...

also, although i haven't had the time to get into it really, if you are into the technology side of it, there's plenty of geeky fun in development with the digital stuff, it seems.

Absolutely agree... technically you can get away with a lot. However, there tends to be a 'standard' of behavior/conversation etc and if you wander too far outside of it, things can go poorly. Obviously chatting with someone about the BIP isn't gonna cause you problems but "some sort of shenanigans" is probably gonna land you in hot water.

Elder Iptuous

agreed.
if an airwave nazi gets on and hears some strange coded chattering with suspicious flavour, he'll likely toss you to the FCC and NSA for brownie points...

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Iptuous on June 28, 2010, 09:48:53 PM
agreed.
if an airwave nazi gets on and hears some strange coded chattering with suspicious flavour, he'll likely toss you to the FCC and NSA for brownie points...

Yes... If you want to play with HAM Radio geeks, First Do Not Get A License... cause thats just telling the FCC where you live. (Or if you do get a license, don't use your real callsign... which is more problematic that broadcasting with no license cause you are breaking the rules you already admitted you knew. However, HAM's like a good foxhunt and if you are playing on the airwaves, do it in a moving vehicle, or at least move around.

;-)