News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

On the recurrence of discussions

Started by The Johnny, June 09, 2012, 11:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Cross reference Stupid luck thread. It was the most stimulating and challenging job I ever had, and the best paying too.

I couldn't do it.

I now get paid at 75% the rate at 50% the time.

Edit: changing know to now, which makes more sense.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 15, 2012, 03:04:42 AM
Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 15, 2012, 02:59:16 AM
Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 15, 2012, 02:48:44 AM
Any other questions or concerns to be addressed before we get to it? Because I'll start the opening post tonight even if I don't have any articles ready right away.

I do have one possible concern. This should obviously go into Techmology and Scientism, but since a majority of the articles I'm aiming to look through will be close to home (again, do to relative ease of access and being familiar with the data so I can actually discuss to some degree the collection methods), it might make two things real fucking easy:

a) people could narrow down what building I work in and who some pretty important people who know me personally.
b) could allow someone from work to find me here, aside from my supervisor who already knows I'm here, with a simple google search regarding the studies.

Now, I have no problem with people who have been here for a while knowing who I work for, hell, Nigel already knows, and even has my work email. But for a casual noob or someone who wants to be problematic...

So, would it be permissible to the mods to use OMF for this, and also to break the links with hxxp?

Well, be careful.  I know there are certain things I won't post or share for the very concerns you lay out.

I could try and vary it up with studies from other Boston based universities, since we have a gazillion of them, but I think it would become obvious if I start speaking in depth about a particular article or groups of articles. I wouldn't want to have to limit myself in discussing something because it would betray knowing too much about a particular study.

Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 15, 2012, 03:22:55 AM
Considering I was half in the bag and drunk on crazed spaggotry when we sacked TSC, I can't remember if it's possible, but is it possible to set a specific thread to be viewable only to... say Outlandish? Probably not, but worth asking.

Faust? (and presumably by timezone, Cain?)

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 15, 2012, 04:42:53 AM
Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 15, 2012, 03:36:23 AM
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on June 15, 2012, 03:28:16 AM
Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 15, 2012, 02:59:11 AM
It also occurs to me that due to my email signature, Nigel also knows what room my desk is in too.  :lulz:

That'll be super-useful if I ever get real observant and also go to Boston again.  :lulz:

Well, you'll run into a few snags if you try to find me there:

It's rather difficult to find the front door. No lie. Everyone always gets lost on their first day.
To get in the front door, you need key card access.
To go anywhere on the elevator except to three floors, you need regular key card access. One is not accessible from the building at all (to keep them out, not us out. We share a structure with another entity), one floor is reception (you won't see much at all on the first floor) and one is special clearance (let's just say that floor does a different sort of research).

Tell me it's not puppies.  :sad:

Virology, in a nutshell.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 15, 2012, 08:56:29 AM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 15, 2012, 04:42:53 AM
Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 15, 2012, 03:36:23 AM
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on June 15, 2012, 03:28:16 AM
Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 15, 2012, 02:59:11 AM
It also occurs to me that due to my email signature, Nigel also knows what room my desk is in too.  :lulz:

That'll be super-useful if I ever get real observant and also go to Boston again.  :lulz:

Well, you'll run into a few snags if you try to find me there:

It's rather difficult to find the front door. No lie. Everyone always gets lost on their first day.
To get in the front door, you need key card access.
To go anywhere on the elevator except to three floors, you need regular key card access. One is not accessible from the building at all (to keep them out, not us out. We share a structure with another entity), one floor is reception (you won't see much at all on the first floor) and one is special clearance (let's just say that floor does a different sort of research).

Tell me it's not puppies.  :sad:

Virology, in a nutshell.

Animal research is in the basement (big surprise), but that usually involves (redacted. Non-canids and to my knowledge, non-primates).

AFK

Just a caveat I should throw out.  My week next week will be tied up with a week long conference/training, so I may not be very active during that time frame.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 15, 2012, 08:41:28 AM
Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 15, 2012, 03:04:42 AM
Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 15, 2012, 02:59:16 AM
Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 15, 2012, 02:48:44 AM
Any other questions or concerns to be addressed before we get to it? Because I'll start the opening post tonight even if I don't have any articles ready right away.

I do have one possible concern. This should obviously go into Techmology and Scientism, but since a majority of the articles I'm aiming to look through will be close to home (again, do to relative ease of access and being familiar with the data so I can actually discuss to some degree the collection methods), it might make two things real fucking easy:

a) people could narrow down what building I work in and who some pretty important people who know me personally.
b) could allow someone from work to find me here, aside from my supervisor who already knows I'm here, with a simple google search regarding the studies.

Now, I have no problem with people who have been here for a while knowing who I work for, hell, Nigel already knows, and even has my work email. But for a casual noob or someone who wants to be problematic...

So, would it be permissible to the mods to use OMF for this, and also to break the links with hxxp?

Well, be careful.  I know there are certain things I won't post or share for the very concerns you lay out.

I could try and vary it up with studies from other Boston based universities, since we have a gazillion of them, but I think it would become obvious if I start speaking in depth about a particular article or groups of articles. I wouldn't want to have to limit myself in discussing something because it would betray knowing too much about a particular study.

Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 15, 2012, 03:22:55 AM
Considering I was half in the bag and drunk on crazed spaggotry when we sacked TSC, I can't remember if it's possible, but is it possible to set a specific thread to be viewable only to... say Outlandish? Probably not, but worth asking.

Faust? (and presumably by timezone, Cain?)

It's technically feasible, but we won't do it. You start another goddamn drug thread at your own risk. Admins don't police content except when it could land Faust and/or myself in legal trouble.

And on a personal non-admin level, I have to say that it's a piss-poor idea and I can tell you EXACTLY how it will end up.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

ANOTHER drug thread?

Jesus, Joseph, and that one lady.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

No. A nothing but science thread that focuses on specifically the health consequences both good and ill of drugs. And it looks like ill have to hold back on certain research to not reveal where specifically i work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 15, 2012, 02:54:39 PM
No. A nothing but science thread that focuses on specifically the health consequences both good and ill of drugs. And it looks like ill have to hold back on certain research to not reveal where specifically i work.

I can say with absolute confidence that despite the hypothetical best wishes of everyone involved - presuming such wishes exist - that is not what's going to happen.

Also, DRAT!  You and RWHN are too clever for the rest of us data-mining bastards.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 15, 2012, 02:54:39 PM

That's exactly how most of the other ones started out. You can see for yourself how well that went.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

AFK

Yes, but many of them get lost in ad-hominems.  If you could keep emotions and knee-jerks out of it (and I include myself in that) it would be more productive.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 15, 2012, 03:15:42 PM
Yes, but many of them get lost in ad-hominems.  If you could keep emotions and knee-jerks out of it (and I include myself in that) it would be more productive.

That's a mighty big "if".

AFK

One way to help with that is if it were only between Twid and myself.  Others could PM articles and content to Twid or myself (like that would happen) for posting, but the actual discussion is between Twid and I. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 15, 2012, 03:18:57 PM
One way to help with that is if it were only between Twid and myself.  Others could PM articles and content to Twid or myself (like that would happen) for posting, but the actual discussion is between Twid and I.

So, it's like a blog, then.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 15, 2012, 03:18:57 PM

As previously stated, we won't police the contents of a thread in that manner. Mind you, I'm not telling you guys what to do or not do, you're free to keep running on that hamster wheel all you want, I'm just pointing out why it's utterly pointless.