News:

OK fuckers, let me out of here. I farted for you, what more do you want from me? Jesus fuck.

Main Menu

PD Rock N Roller Hall of Fame

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, October 23, 2012, 07:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Okay, this isn't a hall of fame for the best music, but the world's best rock n rollers, whether or not they are or were in the music industry.  Selections should be made based on lifestyle, choices, statements, etc.

My first three pics, in no particular order:

1.  Johnny Cash:  Thrown out of the Grand Ole Opry supposedly over drug use (It was actually because he wrote the song The Man in Black, which was considered unpatriotic), Cash went to a rock label and released Folsum Prison Blues and made a ton of money anyway (it is still the highest-selling country album of all time).  When the folks at the Grand Ole Opry saw this, they invited him back.  He went on stage, tuned up...Then flipped everyone the bird and trashed the stage, while June Carter looked on with a "This isn't happening!" face.  He then fucked off on his own, and did better without the fossils at the Grand Ole Opry.

2.  James Brown:  Invented Funk music, heavily involved in anti-dropout programs, destroyed the popular use of the word "negro", and in 1988 he led police on a car chase through 2 states (actually entering 4 states' jurisdictions).  Negative points for domestic violence, though that seemed to decline as he stopped seeing the need to get drunk and high every day.  Wrote the song Living in America, which went top ten, without anyone noticing he was laughing at them.

3.  Mohammed Ali:  Responded to the draft instead of running, then refused to be inducted.  After his arraignment, he was asked by Howard Cosell why he wouldn't serve, and he responded "Because no Viet Cong ever called me 'nigger'".  Stripped of his title, he went to Zaire and knocked the shit out of George Foreman anyway.  Vindicated in the end.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Ozzy Osbourne:  Peed on the Alamo.  EOS.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Iggy Pop. 
Godfather of punk rock*. 
Quote: "Any time I want, I got the right to move.  No matter what they say."
One of the first to troll his own audience. 
Wrote one of Bowie's best songs. 
Did this:

Lemmy Kilmeister.
At 66, is playing harder and faster than you ever will. 
Does. Not. Give. A. Shit. What. You. Think.
Quote: "Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you."

Harvey Milk.
First openly gay politician.
Quote: "More people have been slaughtered in the name of religion than for any other single reason. That, my friends, that is true perversion."

*I'm not arguing about this.  He was.  SHUT UP. 

The Good Reverend Roger

hooplala

Captain Beefheart

Godfather of Godfathers
quote: "I may be hungry, but I sure ain't weird"

Mutated Mississippi Delta blues into a form of avant garde rock which still sounds fucking bizarre almost 45 years later. He was determined to take the soothing "momma's heartbeat" out of rock and roll.

Once asked the studio for 45 sets of jingle bells for a certain song, which confused them.  They pointed out to him that even if every band member, every studio technician, and a couple friends hanging around were to hold two sets -one in each hand- they would still only need 30 sets... what would they do with the other 15?  "We'll overdub them." he answered.

Could apparently detect when then the telephone was going to ring, and allegedly once taught a spider to smoke a cigarette.

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Anna Mae Bollocks

Best topic ever. Going to think on this awhile.  8)
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mangrove

Bill Hicks.

Bill loved Rock n Roll and even though he was a pretty mediocre musician, his searing critiques of vapid pop music (NKTB, MC Hammer, Madonna et al) had all the intensity of Jimi Hendrix & Keith Moon tied together and launched into space on a giant bottle rocket.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

The Good Reverend Roger

Smedley Butler:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler

Major General, USMC.  2 medals of honor, and a brevet medal (medal of honor, at a time when officers couldn't get the actual medal of honor), so essentially three medals of honor.

Then he runs off and writes War is a Racket, and says shit like this:

QuoteI spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.

Then he stops a coup in the USA, gets made "director of public safety" in Philadelphia, and uses the office to make sure that the office never has any power whatsoever, and that nobody ever bothered using secret police again until recently (by using the apparatus to arrest crooked cops and politicians instead of union organizers, etc).

And a bunch more shit.

The Good Reverend Roger

Lenny Bruce: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenny_Bruce

Hardcore rock n roller.  Said whatever the fuck he wanted to say, even when police were openly standing in the audience waiting for him to say it.  Was arrested in Australia for the first sentence out of his mouth ("What a fucking wonderful audience"). He was actually banned outright from entering several America cities.

Best quote:  "American society will cripple you and then arrest you for limping."

LMNO

Julia Child:
Spied on the Nazis.
When told an American Woman would never study at the Cordon Bleu in France, she told them to fuck off, and forced her way in anyway.
Wrote the magnum opus to food, and revolutionized the way we think about food.
Knew that the secret to happiness was good eating and good drinking.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 24, 2012, 09:35:45 PM
Julia Child:
Spied on the Nazis.

Best part is, you could have stopped right there.

But she sure as hell didn't.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Julia Child was awesome. AWESOME. And her husband WORSHIPPED her, and supported her every step of the way. Behind every great woman, there's a great support system, and he was hers.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Jimi Hendrix - There has never been, and never will, be another human who can so, effortlessly exude and channel the talent he had for his instrument while also being one of the slickest, coolest cats to touch a guitar.  Runs rings around every other guitarist that has ever lived and doesn't look like it's anything for him to do it.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.