News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

SPLIT: Magidgique Discussion from Intro Thread

Started by Icey, January 31, 2011, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

I don't know, everyone.  This guy has me believing.

If it's chaos magick that brought him here, it seems to me that there is a great melevolent will behind the whole process that seeks to see its practitioners ridiculed and abased.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 31, 2011, 08:42:47 PM

If it's chaos magick that brought him here, it seems to me that there is a great melevolent will behind the whole process that seeks to see its practitioners ridiculed and abased.

There was, but then I took a big dookie, and it's all better now.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 31, 2011, 08:47:17 PM

Hate-Space is curved in relation to TGRR's dookie.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on January 31, 2011, 08:48:34 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 31, 2011, 08:47:17 PM

Hate-Space is curved in relation to TGRR's dookie.

My shit tells space how to bend, and space tells my shit how to move.

:hammer:

TGRR,
Dancing on Einstein's grave.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

I think I've found a way to express what I've been trying to say.

If you want to know how the universe works, ask a physicist, not a priest.

If you want to know how the economy works, ask a crack dealer, not an economist.

If you want to know how people work, ask the guy who takes care of the monkeys at the zoo, not a psychologist.

Cramulus

That's a useful framework...To expand on that --  a physicist is best for learning how the material universe works. Mythological narratives do have their uses.. mainly in that they help us understand what the fuck people are up to. To illustrate, here's a snippet from Chaos Marxism:

http://chaosmarxism.blogspot.com/2010/08/narrative.html

QuoteA childish mind believes that the world acts like a story.

An adult mind knows better, and believes that stories are "just stories".

An enlightened mind knows that stories, narratives and myths don't describe how the world works, but precisely and accurately describe psychological processes - and therefore explain how people work.

The commies out there will have noted that this is a pretty neat Hegelian dialectic, with the last step being the negation of the negation (also in the sense that an enlightened being will have to have both adult and child minds operating in complementary fashion). The story world is a refraction of the Real World of Horrible Jobs. The menu is not just words on paper, even though you can't eat it; if you can use it properly, you can gain delicious things to eat.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on January 31, 2011, 09:43:36 PM
That's a useful framework...To expand on that --  a physicist is best for learning how the material universe works. Mythological narratives do have their uses.. mainly in that they help us understand what the fuck people are up to. To illustrate, here's a snippet from Chaos Marxism:

http://chaosmarxism.blogspot.com/2010/08/narrative.html

QuoteA childish mind believes that the world acts like a story.

An adult mind knows better, and believes that stories are "just stories".

An enlightened mind knows that stories, narratives and myths don't describe how the world works, but precisely and accurately describe psychological processes - and therefore explain how people work.

The commies out there will have noted that this is a pretty neat Hegelian dialectic, with the last step being the negation of the negation (also in the sense that an enlightened being will have to have both adult and child minds operating in complementary fashion). The story world is a refraction of the Real World of Horrible Jobs. The menu is not just words on paper, even though you can't eat it; if you can use it properly, you can gain delicious things to eat.

1.  Yes, that's why I separated people out in the third line.

2.  I still think any given monkeyhouse gives a better description of how groups of people behave.

Adios

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on January 31, 2011, 08:31:43 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 31, 2011, 08:27:28 PM
Quote from: Icey on January 31, 2011, 08:10:20 PM
Prior causality can be subtly altered by will.

How?  What physical mechanism does this?

Asynchronous non-linear acausal disturbance of distribution fields prior to decoherence.

As if you didn't know...

I know this is wrong of me......but all I saw was I am Maxwell Smart.

Phox

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 31, 2011, 10:29:35 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on January 31, 2011, 08:31:43 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 31, 2011, 08:27:28 PM
Quote from: Icey on January 31, 2011, 08:10:20 PM
Prior causality can be subtly altered by will.

How?  What physical mechanism does this?

Asynchronous non-linear acausal disturbance of distribution fields prior to decoherence.

As if you didn't know...

I know this is wrong of me......but all I saw was I am Maxwell Smart.

I like LMNO, I really do. It's bad enough that I already read his posts in the voice of Paul Lynd. Now Don Adams? I swear to fucking Christ, if it's GeorgeTakei next, I will fly to Boston and kill EVERYONE. Seriously.

(Do not test me, LMNO. I will do it.)

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 31, 2011, 08:24:52 PM
Quote from: Icey on January 31, 2011, 08:02:23 PM
Well, chaos magic is based on incompleteness of knowledge.

So is Southern Baptism.

So too, in a rather different way, is science.

So we have:

• Mahdjique
  • Southern Baptism
  • Science

One of these things is not like the other.

Telarus

Crowley would say that "one of these things is not like the other" is no excuse to not have a ménage à trois.

Southern Baptism is going to come out with a whole new gleam in her eye, tho.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Slyph

Look if you're going to practise magick at least have the balls to do it big stanky caldrouns of eye of newt and shit.

Also, is anyone else reminded of the Emperor's New Clothes?

hooplala

Quote from: Slyph on February 01, 2011, 07:40:44 AM
Also, is anyone else reminded of the Emperor's New Clothes?

I don't know that story, is it anything like The Generalissimo's New Thong?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 31, 2011, 06:11:35 PM
Science :

Cons - You have to learn math.  You have to prove your idea.  It has to survive peer review.

Pros - It works.  Will not get you laid with fat, smelly trustafarian college girls.

Um, the two bolded bits are contradictory, as has been repeatedly shown. Current hypothesis is "monkey business".

Seriously. There's one thing I would like people to stop conveniently forgetting all the fucking time and that is that science is, for a large part, a steaming pile of politics. Sure, there is some hypothetical theoretical enlightened science "the way it's supposed to work", but the same thing goes for democracy, and neither has ever actually been reliably observed in reality. Which makes "science the way it's supposed to work, works really well" more like a theory than anything else.

Don't get me wrong, just like democracy, science is probably "the best we've come up with so far that sort of kind of works", but also keep in mind where democracy got us.

The whole peer review business is crooked, if the theories are inconvenient or unpopular enough. Even if they're backed by an endless stream of cold hard facts, the committees deciding what is a peer review, what gets peer reviewed and what get published as peer reviewed can and have been rejected for whatever reasons on many occasions across different fields of science.

In astronomy, there was this guy who made measurements that didn't match the ideas of red/blue shift, his alternate theory would have pretty much made all distance measurements of far away stars invalid--very inconvenient. The guy was doing proper science, and he felt like he stumbled upon something really big. But instead of proving the guy wrong, the community ridiculed him and banned him worldwide from astronomical observatories. Dunno how it ended, I think they figured it out by now, what or how to explain the guy's measurements without having to ditch the whole really really useful red-blue shift analysis of star distance measuring. But only two or three decades later after ruining the guy's scientific career.

In the Ki thread, Telarus posted this article about a neuropsychologist observing his wife doing "energy work", from which he derived some acu-pressure methods which get very real not-quite-entirely-understood but fully repeatable (by anyone after 15 minutes of instruction, regardless of whether they are "in tune with the cosmos" or not) results on subjects suffering from PTSD, with much less chance of relapse than traditional methods. This method was already known and practised in alternative medicine in the 80s, which gave it a bad name because the people doing it had huge egos and were suing their students for using their Methods etc, and by the time these psychologists had some proper scientific results they wanted to put up for peer review, the committee refused it because it was "dubious subject matter", even though the data and experiments were scientifically sound and repeatable.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Chaos magick is stupid.

Empiricism is stupid.

Everyone ITT is stupid.