News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

Prism and Verizon surveillance discussion thread

Started by Junkenstein, June 06, 2013, 02:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 10, 2014, 08:19:52 AM
It may be paranoia, by when I read about things like this, I have to wonder if the flaw was in fact deliberately designed.

If it was, they got in early, it looks like the bug existed from the start: https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/4817504d069b4c5082161b02a22116ad75f822b1

Will be interesting as we think through the implications of this to figure out how people will resolve issues with embedded systems that rely on openssl.

Faust

Quote from: Pæs on April 11, 2014, 02:33:44 AM
Quote from: Junkenstein on April 10, 2014, 08:19:52 AM
It may be paranoia, by when I read about things like this, I have to wonder if the flaw was in fact deliberately designed.

If it was, they got in early, it looks like the bug existed from the start: https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/4817504d069b4c5082161b02a22116ad75f822b1

Will be interesting as we think through the implications of this to figure out how people will resolve issues with embedded systems that rely on openssl.

I thought it was only introduced two years ago?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Pæs

Yeah, but I mean it already existed in the original contribution of the TLS/DTLS heartbeat functionality, rather than in the original implementation of the project.

Junkenstein

For anyone who forgot about Greenwald's "The Intercept"

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/document/2014/03/20/hunt-sys-admins/

It's starting to fill up with quality stuff.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

XKCD had what looks like an easily understood explanation for this.  I have no idea if it's accurate, but the guy's got a good track record for knowing this stuff.

Junkenstein

That's probably a better explanation of the issue than any actual news article I've read on the subject.

That guy really needs to get himself syndicated.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Pæs

Yeah, that's pretty much the issue. And not in a "yeah, that's a nice simplification for a comic". That's how it works.

As (something of) a developer, I think Heartbleed is for our sins. Covered in more detail here, but we built a large part of the internet's security on an open source project with one full time employee and a very small band of other contributors. The offending functionality was pushed on New Year's Eve, where instead of partying hard this one dude was trying to improve OpenSSL.

Anyone who donates more than 20k to OpenSSL development gets their logo featured here: http://www.openssl.org/support/donations.html

There are no logos. Nobody is looking after this little team that two thirds of the web rely on.

Pæs

Hopefully now we're going to get people with appropriate knowledge looking at the dependencies for their software and helping to improve those building blocks of the web to help themselves.

Cain

No surprises here

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-11/nsa-said-to-have-used-heartbleed-bug-exposing-consumers.html

QuoteThe U.S. National Security Agency knew for at least two years about a flaw in the way that many websites send sensitive information, now dubbed the Heartbleed bug, and regularly used it to gather critical intelligence, two people familiar with the matter said.

QuotePutting the Heartbleed bug in its arsenal, the NSA was able to obtain passwords and other basic data that are the building blocks of the sophisticated hacking operations at the core of its mission, but at a cost. Millions of ordinary users were left vulnerable to attack from other nations' intelligence arms and criminal hackers.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Pæs on April 11, 2014, 10:13:45 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much the issue. And not in a "yeah, that's a nice simplification for a comic". That's how it works.

As (something of) a developer, I think Heartbleed is for our sins. Covered in more detail here, but we built a large part of the internet's security on an open source project with one full time employee and a very small band of other contributors. The offending functionality was pushed on New Year's Eve, where instead of partying hard this one dude was trying to improve OpenSSL.

Anyone who donates more than 20k to OpenSSL development gets their logo featured here: http://www.openssl.org/support/donations.html

There are no logos. Nobody is looking after this little team that two thirds of the web rely on.

I can think of few things more appropriate for the modern era. I'm alternating between that laugh and outright horror again.

Junkenstein

QuoteA leading UK site for parents and the Canadian tax authority have both announced they have had data stolen by hackers exploiting the Heartbleed bug.

Mumsnet - which says it has 1.5 million registered members - said that it believed that the cyber thieves may have obtained passwords and personal messages before it patched its site.

The Canada Revenue Agency said that 900 people's social insurance numbers had been stolen.

These are the first confirmed losses.

BBC Article, Mumsnet in meltdown, others expected to follow suit. I'm guessing 4 months from this to the reveal of another flaw that's even worse. Just seems to be how this one's going.

Junkenstein

Did I say 4 months?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27184188

QuoteMicrosoft has warned consumers that a vulnerability in its Internet Explorer browser could let hackers gain access and user rights to their computer.

The flaw affects Internet Explorer (IE) versions 6 to 11 and Microsoft said it was aware of "limited, targeted attacks" to exploit it.

According to NetMarket Share, the IE versions account for more than 50% of global browser market.

Microsoft says it is investigating the flaw and will take "appropriate" steps.

The firm, which issued a security advisory over the weekend, said the steps "may include providing a solution through our monthly security update release process, or an out-of-cycle security update, depending on customer needs".

XP no longer being updated and subsequently at higher risk. Obviously this is something that was never used and exploited by NSA et all over the years. At all. That's just crazy.

Pæs

I sent that to my boss today because our entire company remains on XP and has software which only works in Internet Explorer.

Lol'd hard.

The Good Reverend Roger

I just assume that my entire system is riddled with spybots and other shit that doesn't belong, and act accordingly.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 28, 2014, 04:55:09 PM
I just assume that my entire system is riddled with spybots and other shit that doesn't belong, and act accordingly.
Infect it with more bad bugs and viruses hoping they massacre each other?
Remember a lesson we learned from Australia: Nothing kills alligators as fast as a toxic toad introduced to kill rats. (Or something, i am fuzzy on the details.)
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"