News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

ATTN PD.COM: I'm losing it

Started by Cait M. R., December 08, 2009, 10:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on December 08, 2009, 09:49:06 PM
Quote from: Da6s on December 08, 2009, 09:09:52 PM
(look into Ball Lightning for another example of how limited our true scientific knowledge is).
Ball lightning is more than likely vaporized silicon. It's been repeated in the lab.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/01/070122-ball-lightning.html

Probably true.  That doesn't prove that our scientific knowledge isn't limited, though.  Not that its possible to prove a negative, but I'm sure you understand my meaning.

Some things just aren't scientifically testable.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Da6s

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on December 08, 2009, 09:49:06 PM
(look into Ball Lightning for another example of how limited our true scientific knowledge is).
Ball lightning is more than likely vaporized silicon. It's been repeated in the lab.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/01/070122-ball-lightning.html

And this is what i've learned today.

New example: Quantum Entanglement.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Da6s

Quote from: Hoopla on December 08, 2009, 10:07:00 PM

Probably true.  That doesn't prove that our scientific knowledge isn't limited, though.  Not that its possible to prove a negative, but I'm sure you understand my meaning.

Some things just aren't scientifically testable.

No, but my point was that there are things that as of this moment we can't explain, solve, or even begin to understand. Ball lightning's just my favorite example of nature shit that we don't know.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

hooplala

Yeah yeah, I agree... 'supernatural' is a rather bullshit term.  If what the phenomena is isn't plain old fraud, then there has to be SOME explanation for it, therefor its natural... just rare, I suppose.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on December 08, 2009, 10:20:04 PM
Yeah yeah, I agree... 'supernatural' is a rather bullshit term.  If what the phenomena is isn't plain old fraud, then there has to be SOME explanation for it, therefor its natural... just rare, I suppose.

Yes, exactly. It's natural, just not necessarily explainable with our current knowledge.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

PROTIP: If you ever want anything you say to be taken seriously, don't say things like:

The stripper companion i've been dating since july does work with the East Tennesseean Paranormal investigation society. She's a twin, and is much more in tune to extra-planar activity and such.

:lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

The stripper companion i've been dating since july does work with the East Tennesseean Paranormal investigation society. She's a twin, and is much more in tune to extra-planar activity and such.

You know, there are so many ways to have fun with the above post that I have gone into reset mode and cannot proceed.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cait M. R.

I just woke up from the first sleep I've had in awhile. And there's a couple points I think I should address.

First off, RE: Da6s' comment of lack of malevolence, I have a feeling that won't last long. When we first got here it was just a slightly unnerving presence in the downstairs, quickly added to by weird black mists in the hallways if the light was dim. Then that was followed by screams and moans and weird smells, but it was still only a minor curiosity. It stayed at about that level for awhile, then the unnerving presence downstairs turned into a horror-machine. I immediately panic and go into runrunrunrgetthefuckoutofhere mode when I feel it now. It's no simple uneasiness, I feel like I am in very real danger. It's sort of the panic you'd feel if you walked downstairs to get a glass of water and a FUCKING BEAR CHARGED AT YOU.

Anyway, soon after that the first physical manifestations started. We've experienced doors slamming as well as the aforementioned doorknob rattling (which is very easy to physically feel if you hold the doorknob) and my mother has seen objects fly off of tables and across rooms. We've had sharp temperature increases (roughly 73->80) in the vicinity of the "hauntings", which goes against my normal understanding of ghosts. And then the first visual apparition appeared (faceless tuxedo guy) which everyone saw and it's been more common ever since. We've also been getting strange scratchings in the walls (plaster) but I'm more likely to dismiss those because my sister has a history of doing that shit. The other things, though, we've experienced while she's in the same room as us and staring in terror.

The progression strongly suggests (to me) that it's not over. And I really don't see where it can go after this except to openly malevolent acts.

Next, regarding the suggestions of music and etc from Nasturtiums -- that's not going to work. I know only because I've tried. Generally, if I'm playing certain music, the manifestations get more overt and threatening. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, and the songs that have that effect change monthly (but always "work" within that month). I've learned to keep my music off if I feel threatened. Last night was the first time that failed to work. And FTR, music didn't help either.

Regarding the other suggestions, only one door in the house (bathroom) is usually open, and that's only because our hall would otherwise be pitch black at night and NO ONE wants that. The curtains are as cheery as you can get without having patterned curtains (worse for me, pareidolia running wild in the dark while I'm freaked out will lead to screams and begging for someone to get me the hell out of the house), being lavender. And my room is barren, except for a dresser, a fan, a table for my computer (and obviously the computer) and a bed. The last thing I need, period, is dolls of any sort. Creepy blank eyes and shit, fuck that.

About the nature-of-ghosts discussion, I NEVER took "paranormal" stuff seriously till this place. Despite having several classical hauntings in past locations. This place is the real deal because I'm not the only one noticing it and the stuff is TRYING to be seen. It has manifested in the day time, for example (but never the panic one unless I'm completely alone in the house).

I agree that it's natural, and I think it's got something to do with concentrations of "energy" (physics kind) in a given area as to whether or not something is "recorded" or "played back". (But I disagree that that's the only kind.) My reason for thinking so is because ghost reports have gotten more common over time, and before (to my knowledge) they were associated with marshes (full of marsh gas), rail roads (fires [lanterns and steam engines] and hardcore kinetic energy), house fires (obvious) and violent murders/accidents (kinetic energy and the like). Of course, this is all just a theory by someone who knows little of both "ghosts" and physics.

I don't know about "sentient" "ghosts", it all seems a bit farfetched, but in my current case there's more than simple playback. It seems targeted. My best idea to explain these is that maybe there's something to parapsychology and this is the effect of someone using such abilities (possibly including those affected). And that's making a lot of very big assumptions. I don't want to do that, so I'll just say I'm fucking confused.

And lastly, Nigel's idea of renovation: I can't. It's owned by the state, technically, we're just renting. I wish that wasn't the case.

Cait M. R.

Also, this might fit better in High Weirdness. I posted it here while having a panic attack and sleep-deprived, so I didn't think it through beyond "MUST MAKE CONTACT WITH HUMAN-LIKE BEINGS THAT ARE ALIVE"

Faust

Quote from: Cait M. R. on December 09, 2009, 01:40:54 AM
quickly added to by weird black mists in the hallways if the light was dim.

We've had sharp temperature increases (roughly 73->80) in the vicinity of the "hauntings", which goes against my normal understanding of ghosts.

Smoke, screams, and temperature increases. Not that I buy into any of this and you are probably crazy but has there ever been a fire in that place?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

East Coast Hustle

I've found that an easy way to do away with the unpleasantries visited upon you by paranormal activity is to not believe in paranormal activity.

that said, I hope that you come to some sort of resolution to this since it seems to be causing you plenty of problems.

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cait M. R.

Quote from: Faust on December 09, 2009, 01:49:35 AM

We've had sharp temperature increases (roughly 73->80) in the vicinity of the "hauntings", which goes against my normal understanding of ghosts.

Smoke, screams, and temperature increases. Not that I buy into any of this and you are probably crazy but has there ever been a fire in that place?

That's an unnerving thought. Many of the weird smells I mentioned are of burning substances. Food, electrical-fire smell, birthday candle smell. I'll have to ask.

Faust

Quote from: Cait M. R. on December 09, 2009, 01:52:19 AM
Quote from: Faust on December 09, 2009, 01:49:35 AM

That's an unnerving thought. Many of the weird smells I mentioned are of burning substances. Food, electrical-fire smell, birthday candle smell. I'll have to ask.
Do, humor me please. Try googling your place with fire for news results too.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Da6s

I forwarded this to the lady friend.

I'll let you know her take on the matter.