News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

We're Fresh Out of Rationalists, But Fanatics Are Half Price Today

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 18, 2012, 04:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

In another thread, I wrote the following:

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2012, 06:46:48 PM
The acid test is this:

1.  Are the claims verifiable given current technology?

2.  Does the person espousing the claims claim to be an authority on the matter?

If the first answer is no and the second answer is yes, then the person in question is a bullshitter, no matter what they're selling (including atheism).  Except genuine Holy Men™, who have a special dispensation on account of we STATE that we're bullshitting, but that bullshit is divinely inspired, so shut up.

If the first answer is yes and the second answer is yes, check the person's credentials.

If the first answer is no and the second answer is no, you're talking to someone in a bar.

If the first answer is yes and the second answer is no, congratulations, you're talking to the only honest man you know.

Interestingly enough, everyone seems to be on board with that, until you point out that it also applies to their belief systems, at which point the butthurt flows like last night's Caesar Salad. 

Thing is, I'd like to add a catagory to that:  Bad signal.  Not just unverifiable data, but WRONG data.

So you have

1.  Are the claims verifiable given current technology?
2.  Does the person espousing the claims claim to be an authority on the matter?
3.  Are the claims actually false?

If the second answer is yes and the third answer is yes, then you have a snake oil salesman, on par with Don Lapre.

If the second answer is yes and the third answer is no, or if the second anwer is yes and the third answer is no, then you have the previously listed scenarios.

If the second answer is no and the third answer is yes, then you have someone who has received bad information and assumes that it's correct.  Everyone does this from time to time.

In the case of the second and third answer being yes, or the first and second answer being yes, then you also have the potential for fanatics.  They don't know, but they THINK they know, and they're going to explain it to you at a party if you aren't quick enough to escape.  They also tend to AGREE with what's been posted here, but only so long as it doesn't involve THEIR beliefs.

Run.  Run while you still have legs.  Arguing with a fanatic is like arguing with the wall...You aren't getting anywhere, and nobody else at the party will come near you.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

I think I'm going to have to diagram that out.

In the meantime, it's the bullshitter that hands out bad signal, right? And if THEY hand out the bad signal, that makes THEM a bullshitter too, yeah?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 18, 2012, 05:08:27 PM
I think I'm going to have to diagram that out.

In the meantime, it's the bullshitter that hands out bad signal, right? And if THEY hand out the bad signal, that makes THEM a bullshitter too, yeah?

Well, if you combine "unverifiable" and "disproven" data to define bad signal, then yes.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like this but I also need LMNO to draw that diagram.

I think it would be a really great diagram. Maybe even a memeworthy one.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Before i do, Roger, I know you means and ways are infallable, but could you please reveiw your post for correct accuracy?  I only ask because of lines like this:

QuoteIf the second answer is yes and the third answer is no, or if the second anwer is yes and the third answer is no, then you have the previously listed scenarios.

I think my brain just tried to crawl out of my ear trying to figure out the difference between the two stances.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 18, 2012, 07:29:03 PM
Before i do, Roger, I know you means and ways are infallable, but could you please reveiw your post for correct accuracy?  I only ask because of lines like this:

QuoteIf the second answer is yes and the third answer is no, or if the second anwer is yes and the third answer is no, then you have the previously listed scenarios.

I think my brain just tried to crawl out of my ear trying to figure out the difference between the two stances.

Now *I'm* turned around.   :lulz:

I'll redo it tonight, legibly.

LMNO

You mean it WASN'T a test of proper Holiness™? 

Dammit, at this rate, I'll never get my Enlightenment© Level-Up.

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Anna Mae Bollocks

It makes sense to me if I slow down and think about the thing.

Would make an awesome diagram though. :D
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."