News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

So I was born in 1971

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, December 27, 2013, 07:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So here is a crazy super-undeveloped realization that I had on my way to the store for a beer tonight. It has to do with being mixed-race.

Out of the blue, I kind of went oh. OH. I was born in 1971. My mom, a blond blue-eyed white woman, was all up in the equal rights movement. For me, a kid, it happened a long time ago. So long ago, before I was even born. Right? No. For my mom, it was happening while she was fucking a black guy, my dad. I mean, the difference between 1968 and her getting her ass knocked up in 1970? That ain't shit. She was a white girl choosing to fuck a black guy. Never mind he's 3/4 Native American, 1970 don't give a fuck about that. That is, unbelievably, even more complicated.

So I grew up. And rarely, I would see little mixed kids, and I would always be happy when I did. INCREDIBLY rarely, in the Pacific NW, I would see a mixed-race adult, and I always thought they were so so amazing. In my era, the talk shows often featured mixed-race families, with the kids who could never fit into black or white communities. The outcasts, the kids with no identity.

And I got older. And would see more and more mixed-race kids, and they would stare at me. Especially in my late 20's, early 30's, they would stare at me and I would smile at them and their mamas and papas, to say, yes, yes, you are doing something right. But I still didn't get it. And into my late 30's, encountering more mixed-race adults, having that excited conversation with the clerk at the grocery store, somehow it took me until now to realize;

There aren't actually that many of us from my generation. I came into existence on the very tail end of segregation. When I was born racist lending laws were still in place in my hometown, it was still illegal for a human being to be black after 4 pm in a nearby burg. That was happening. That happened. I used to blow my own mind at the idea that when my dad was growing up, he could not drink from white water fountains, use white bathrooms, or eat in white restaurants. Now, I am astonishing myself at the racism that I myself grew up with, and wonder, truly, at what my own children will find astonishing when they turn 42.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Hopefully they'll take it for granted that being a POC isn't a limitation in some career paths or social settings. And they'll be flabbergasted that gay marriage was even a fight. Or being trans. Hopefully they'll be astonished that some people don't have healthcare or food the same way kids are astounded that at one point there was no internet.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

hirley0

i can only hope you like the  :fnord: THEME     

in the MEAN time 71 was 2 years After ?"THEY"? attempted my assASaNAtion
{i was given enough LSD to kill 2 herds of elephants|
|However i tricked them} I DID NOT swallow. Never the Less that ?TRIP?
Lasted long after you arrival? Comprenda' ?| now bac2Frost'N about ..

i never get it correct 1st edition {oH well | sell sell sell}

The Good Reverend Roger

I suspect what will astonish them is that in the 21st century, of all times, racism has become fashionable amongst people who really ought to know better. 

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: hirley0 on December 27, 2013, 09:20:45 AM

I'm glad they didn't manage to off you, N0p.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Well whoever ?"THEY"? are, they clearly did not understand with whom they messed.

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

hirley0

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on December 27, 2013, 05:59:27 PM

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 27, 2013, 05:23:46 PM

Lasted long after youЯ arrival? Comprenda' ?| now bac2Frost'N about ..

I'm glad they didn't manage to off you, N0p. {TNM was outed this Month

Well whoever ?"THEY"? are, they clearly did not understand with whom they messed.

it WAS the same "HEY" as this time
HEY ,, only this time it sure looks like they got me. They improved Delivery

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: hirley0 on December 27, 2013, 06:36:22 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on December 27, 2013, 05:59:27 PM

it WAS the same "HEY" as this time
HEY ,, only this time it sure looks like they got me.

They got everyone, Hirley0, so don't feel alone.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hirley0

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 27, 2013, 06:39:12 PM
They got everyone, Hirley0, so don't feel alone.

yeah,,, it TRUE more than 1 they for sure
i was reffering here to the psU they
the senior Seen.it.OR in fact

10:52?
08:37 2013 12/27 another dream: Snow @ School? with KM
& RM geo dept open well dirt bream {left over from flood
hot volcanic spot , John Deer dealer 3$/hr pickup / driver

the difference between a DREAM & a NightMayor is delivery

I wonder what people will think of this decade in 40 years.

Anna Mae Bollocks

I like hirley's theme much better than Leo Sayer's. It's got a little beat.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Penumbral

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 27, 2013, 07:32:01 AM
So I grew up. And rarely, I would see little mixed kids, and I would always be happy when I did. INCREDIBLY rarely, in the Pacific NW, I would see a mixed-race adult, and I always thought they were so so amazing.

My niece is mixed in rural Pacific NW. She doesn't know any black people. Literally 0. She loves black actors because, "They are like me." I remember hearing her say that and really it stuck with me. I still don't know what to think of it though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Penumbral on January 09, 2014, 10:59:16 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 27, 2013, 07:32:01 AM
So I grew up. And rarely, I would see little mixed kids, and I would always be happy when I did. INCREDIBLY rarely, in the Pacific NW, I would see a mixed-race adult, and I always thought they were so so amazing.

My niece is mixed in rural Pacific NW. She doesn't know any black people. Literally 0. She loves black actors because, "They are like me." I remember hearing her say that and really it stuck with me. I still don't know what to think of it though.

Human beings have a natural affinity for those who resemble them physically, and those who look like family members. I'm sure it's because of the association with family/safety/home. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's a good thing to be conscious of to make sure we aren't inadvertently giving someone preferential treatment just because they "match" us.

Penumbral

There was far to much innocence in what she said for me to think there was anything wrong about it. Like you said its about safety and sometimes fear. If anything it just made me think prison gangs were more childlike then they know.

Junkenstein

QuoteNow, I am astonishing myself at the racism that I myself grew up with, and wonder, truly, at what my own children will find astonishing when they turn 42.

Excellent OP Nigel.

I was thinking about this a while ago and there were a couple of decent threads about the perceptions of TV shows from the 50/60/70's and how even the most progressive/permissive shows have a number of constant uncomfortable moments for a modern audience.

MASH got a lot of stick for the way women were treated on the show. The characterisation of Klinger could probably fill a blog with rage for a few weeks. I doubt you'd try and pull off something like that now and indeed I doubt you would be able to for fear of rights and advocates groups.

I've got something stirring about TV then/now/future, need to think more.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.