News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

I drove past the Occupy Tucson yesterday.  It was rainy and miserable, but there were still people there.

Nobody was out, and just a few signs, though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 14, 2011, 09:42:18 PM
Quote from: Nigel on November 14, 2011, 09:40:46 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 14, 2011, 09:37:51 PM
Internet-driven attention deficit disorder.

"Fight the power, we got to fight the po- *NEWS CYCLE CHANGES*...OMG this [new outrage] outrages me.  To the twittermobile!"

Also, "consensus decision making".  Because what that means is, you can't police the protests and chuck people out unless everyone agrees, and some retard will always say "but we need more people, we're a big tent".

To which I can only respond: fuck you, if the save the whale people are the only ones standing between us and neo-serfdom for a thousand years, I'll take the latter, thank you very much.

The consensus bullshit was a terrible idea. The only way consensus decision making works is if you have a fairly static group or if you do consensus via representation.

It's also a chance for hipsters to have lots and lots of people listen to their wisdom of the ages.

Fucking idiots.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on November 14, 2011, 09:45:25 PM

"Fight the power, we got to fight the po- *NEWS CYCLE CHANGES*...OMG this [new outrage] outrages me.  To the twittermobile!"

Also, "consensus decision making".  Because what that means is, you can't police the protests and chuck people out unless everyone agrees, and some retard will always say "but we need more people, we're a big tent".

To which I can only respond: fuck you, if the save the whale people are the only ones standing between us and neo-serfdom for a thousand years, I'll take the latter, thank you very much.

The consensus bullshit was a terrible idea. The only way consensus decision making works is if you have a fairly static group or if you do consensus via representation.

It's also a chance for hipsters to have lots and lots of people listen to their wisdom of the ages.

Fucking idiots.

Every tallbike yahoo lining up to be the next Abbie Hoffman.

:lulz:

This species is doomed.  DOOMED.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 14, 2011, 09:46:27 PM
Quote from: Nigel on November 14, 2011, 09:45:25 PM

Fucking idiots.

Every tallbike yahoo lining up to be the next Abbie Hoffman.

:lulz:

This species is doomed.  DOOMED.

The sooner the better, hopefully without taking too many more other species with us.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

They do kinda have representatives....only they're the same kind of left-liberal "socially conscious" bullshit artists who've run every kind of major protest for the past two decades.  IOW, useless losers.  People whose experience would suggest they were unfit to run a stall, let alone a protest movement.  People who, to put it bluntly, keep on failing.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on November 14, 2011, 09:48:02 PM
They do kinda have representatives....only they're the same kind of left-liberal "socially conscious" bullshit artists who've run every kind of major protest for the past two decades.  IOW, useless losers.  People whose experience would suggest they were unfit to run a stall, let alone a protest movement.  People who, to put it bluntly, keep on failing.

Yeah, I can't help noticing that the World Trade Organization is still in business.   :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

People say I'm too cynical and that Lenin didn't demolish Russian autocracy in a day.

Which is true, but, and lets be honest here, these peeps aint exactly Lenin, are they?  Though, amazingly, the protestors are doing a rather good impression of the Bolsheviks circa March 1917, aimlessly milling around with several dozen uncoherent ideas about how to move forward.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on November 14, 2011, 09:54:29 PM
People say I'm too cynical and that Lenin didn't demolish Russian autocracy in a day.

Which is true, but, and lets be honest here, these peeps aint exactly Lenin, are they?  Though, amazingly, the protestors are doing a rather good impression of the Bolsheviks circa March 1917, aimlessly milling around with several dozen uncoherent ideas about how to move forward.

It's more like watching Argentina just before Peron, but with everyone on Valium.

Freckleback

THIS.
Watching those GA's is fucking painful.  The last one they held in the par took them like an hour to figure out what to do for all the people who's tents were destroyed and had nowhere to go.  Not to mention the one they held wile in a standoff with the fucking cops.

I thought the point of peaceful protests was to get the police to publicly brutalize the shit out of you until your numbers swelled enough to take it not the next level.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on November 14, 2011, 07:20:13 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 14, 2011, 01:16:35 PM
Quote from: Agent Buttchug on November 14, 2011, 12:50:39 PM
Here's the video preceding those photographs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3B8idZMIMk

"Good morning..."

Good morning.

This was cool.  I hate what the officer was saying near the beginning,

"If you remain in the roadway and show intent to engage in physical resistance to removal, or if emergency circumstances require, you may be subject to the use of force including chemical agents and impact weapons."

What emergency circumstances could possibly require or be made better by hurting innocent civilians?  :evilmad:  The good news is that the crowds did manage to prevent them from having their little pretext.

An ambulance or firetruck having to come through would be an emergency that would require getting the civilians out of the road immediately.  Teargas and batons don't strike me as the most efficient way to get the people out of the road, but that's almost undoubtedly what the cops meant. 

I hate the symbolism of it all!  Chemicals and impact weapons are how you manage vermin.

There's plenty of reason to hope this will become more of an impact upon the system.  This will take time, persistence.  I personally do not care if the hipsters, or what ever, have an effect.  I do not care if the whole thing turns into "Save the Whales" bullshit.  The thing I care about right now as concerns this is that people stay ANGRY and ACTIVE.  I would prefer that they also stay smart and non-violent, but that's a lot to hope for.  I want this thing to still be rolling when the elections start next year.  So what if the people involved have a silly 90% decision making system?  It's still more interesting and effective than no activity at all.  Eventually there will be more iconic moments that are totally impossible to suppress.  What the movement currently lacks is a resounding sympathetic resonance with the rest of the people that have not engaged with it. 

It's not even an AMERICAN movement in truth.  It's a GLOBAL FUCK YOU!!!!! to the folks that have the reins in hand and have jerked the world around!  We shall see what comes of it, maybe nothing good at all. 

I don't want the controllers to think they have some sort of silent consent when the hammer falls.  I want them to find that you cannot smash a puddle and expect results.  There's real venom and acid in that puddle.  And they don't own the hammer, it's a rental.  It's OUR  system and OUR world. 

We share it like it or not. 
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Juana

Quote from: nihilbilly on November 14, 2011, 10:57:30 PM

THIS.
Watching those GA's is fucking painful.  The last one they held in the par took them like an hour to figure out what to do for all the people who's tents were destroyed and had nowhere to go.  Not to mention the one they held wile in a standoff with the fucking cops.

I thought the point of peaceful protests was to get the police to publicly brutalize the shit out of you until your numbers swelled enough to take it not the next level.
Partly. And the cops got smarter about that, a little bit. I don't think any of the arrested protestors are going to be scrubbed with steel wool by prison guards these days.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Freckleback

nyc being evicted again.

Cain

Sounds like the Berkeley protest went to shit, as well. 

http://crookedtimber.org/2011/11/14/occupy-berkeley/

Quote...The person on the left is a colleague of mine, and I've seen his swollen hand and watched him limp and talked to him about what happened. I saw how physically shaken up he was, several hours after being beaten, and I went with a friend to get an Ace bandage for his hand. On the right, you can see someone I know who acquired several cracked ribs. I could go on. Or this video, in which you see the police yanking the director of the Townsend Center for the Humanities to the ground by her hair, applying choke-holds with batons, and punching people in the face.

Scribbly

The Occupy protests are pretty fascinating to me... first, they were dismissed because they were small; they grew. Then, they were dismissed because they didn't have a strong message; a message largely based around responsibility emerged. Now, they are dismissed because their demands, members and processes are seen as childish...

Violence is escalating against them, and the movement is starting to shrink as winter bites. The main lesson I think a lot of people are starting to realize from this is that if you let the establishment dismiss you, you will be dismissed.

Shutting down the stock exchange sounds like an interesting development and I look forward to seeing where that goes. But as this goes on and fails to achieve any tangible changes, I think the people who are actually interested in effecting change are going to realize that you can't just sit around and talk in order to do that. You need to have a real ability to threaten the status quo in some fashion.

It says a lot to me that politicians have responded much more openly and directly to the London Riots than they have to the Occupy London movement (mostly, that has consisted of people laughing at the ridiculous protesters blocking off the Church as though the Church of England is somehow relevant to the debate). The Riots provoked a debate about the underclass and what could drive people to it, although it was a short-lived one. Occupy London has largely provoked discussion about whether they should have the right to protest rather than the issues they are protesting about.

I've also heard a lot of Occupy protesters talking about how the system is 'ours' and they are there to remind the politicians of that. It kind of boggles my mind how they can come to that conclusion. After so long protesting, surely they should have taken a step backwards by now and realized that actually, the system is resolutely not 'ours' in any meaningful sense, as if it was, we'd be in a position to make it do what 'we' want, rather than being in the position where the vast majority of people agree that shit is broken, but have no idea how to even go about fixing it.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Luna

Heard this morning that Occupy Providence is working with the city.  City needs to get into the park to dowhatever needs to be done to the sprinklers for winter, so they're moving the protest to the sidewalks and off the grass.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."