News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

About to be thrown off an atheist page on FB for failure to repent of the statement:

"Josef Stalin had Eastern and Orthodox priests put in gulags strictly on account of their religion."

:lulz:

It's a good think whitewashing the past isn't a universal human behavior or anything.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 24, 2014, 06:15:37 PM
About to be thrown off an atheist page on FB for failure to repent of the statement:

"Josef Stalin had Eastern and Orthodox priests put in gulags strictly on account of their religion."

It's a good think whitewashing the past isn't a universal human behavior or anything.

Been there, done that.  :lulz: They also really dislike being reminded of Chairman Mao and Pol Pot.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

I've always been fond of the notion among mystic minded conspiracy theorists that you only go to hell if you sign on the line and back Old Louie or otherwise intentionally put yourself in enmity with God.
(the idea being that Atheists are his patsies to be done away with when he surely takes the Throne  :roll:)

Therefore most genuine Atheists are going to heaven.
Just imagine the awkwardness at the gates. The shuffling feet and nervous glances.

There may even now be segregation issues in Eternity in need of resolution.
Carl Sagan's facial expression would be priceless!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

EK WAFFLR

So, we have exactly one "sovereign citizen" in Norway, who a couple of years ago left her passport and social security number at the local police office, and proclaimed her house a sovereign state called Niceland. She got thrown out on Monday.  I laughed.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Junkenstein

Thrown Out of her house or out of the country?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Junkenstein on October 24, 2014, 10:03:13 PM
Thrown Out of her house or out of the country?

Her house. She hasn't paid bills since 2012.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

LMNO

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 24, 2014, 09:39:31 PM
I've always been fond of the notion among mystic minded conspiracy theorists that you only go to hell if you sign on the line and back Old Louie or otherwise intentionally put yourself in enmity with God.
(the idea being that Atheists are his patsies to be done away with when he surely takes the Throne  :roll:)

Just imagine the awkwardness at the gates. The shuffling feet and nervous glances.

Sagan would have said, "Wow! In the face of this evidence, HOSANNA!"

Salty

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 25, 2014, 12:14:13 AM

Hah, just logged in to say the same thing more or less.

I feel like he'd want to have words with a certain deity.

I would. I'd call that asshole.

COME AT ME, BROSANNA.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Alty on October 25, 2014, 12:16:29 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 25, 2014, 12:14:13 AM

Hah, just logged in to say the same thing more or less.

I feel like he'd want to have words with a certain deity.

I would. I'd call that asshole.

COME AT ME, BROSANNA.

Sup bro? Do you even pray bro? PSHAW! It's gonna be YHVH or the highway bro.

LMNO:

Yeah I know. Either there is no such entity or It is much different than the religions portray. I like to explore the latter possibility as my subjective experience leads me to think Not Nothing.

I do like the image in my head of Sagan's eyes lit up like he just got a dose of platonic mushrooms or Something.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Suu

I'm taking a course on the Reformation this semester, and now my arsenal is full of Atheist cannon fodder. I especially like some of the early humanist stuff from Boccaccio and Erasmus, which boils down to, It doesn't fucking matter if you're holy or not holy, or if you're a priest or a pedo, all humans have God's grace instilled within them and act on his will. Therefore, human actions are godly actions no matter how vile of a person you are. You all go to heaven. Game over.

Or my new personal ballista bolt for the Christian right when they bitch about big government and taxes: Romans 13.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Suu on October 25, 2014, 01:12:37 AM

I'm taking a course on the Reformation this semester, and now my arsenal is full of Atheist cannon fodder. I especially like some of the early humanist stuff from Boccaccio and Erasmus, which boils down to, It doesn't fucking matter if you're holy or not holy, or if you're a priest or a pedo, all humans have God's grace instilled within them and act on his will. Therefore, human actions are godly actions no matter how vile of a person you are. You all go to heaven. Game over.

Or my new personal ballista bolt for the Christian right when they bitch about big government and taxes: Romans 13.

So.. under that perception when a guy like Gengis Kahn says, "I am the wrath of God. If you had not committed terrible sins God would not have placed a man like me in your path" or the like they are maybe right?

And f7ck Paul. I respect that he was willing to die for what he thought to be true, but I just don't like how he thread jacked like half the new testament. The jerk.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Suu

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 25, 2014, 01:25:14 AM
Quote from: The Suu on October 25, 2014, 01:12:37 AM

So.. under that perception when a guy like Gengis Kahn says, "I am the wrath of God. If you had not committed terrible sins God would not have placed a man like me in your path" or the like they are maybe right?

And f7ck Paul. I respect that he was willing to die for what he thought to be true, but I just don't like how he thread jacked like half the new testament. The jerk.

Don't get me started on Paul. He contradicts himself more than the entire US Senate.

And you are correct, even in Khan's hubris, not only is he a saved man because as God's creation, he is automatically full of His Grace. You're thinking more of a predestination, with is Lutheran/Calvinist. No matter what, God knows where he wants to put you, and you may or may not live, and you may or may not go to Heaven. Your life is already planned. Pray all you want, you still have a 50/50 shot at being damned.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Allfader Waffles on October 24, 2014, 09:47:45 PM
So, we have exactly one "sovereign citizen" in Norway, who a couple of years ago left her passport and social security number at the local police office, and proclaimed her house a sovereign state called Niceland. She got thrown out on Monday.  I laughed.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."