News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

A way to think about numbers

Started by 666, February 08, 2013, 01:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

this number system helps my implicit memory, they kind of have a life of their own within my life experiences.

I break it down sometimes like...

42 is the meaning of life, 4 is the bigger picture of things, 2 is to dissociate... so I thought about the transition between death and the afterlife as the meaning of life.

666, 6 is life and carbon, and the truth is in 3's, this is a conspiracy with the bible stuff...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: 666 on February 08, 2013, 03:07:44 AM
this number system helps my implicit memory, they kind of have a life of their own within my life experiences.

42 is the meaning of life, 4 is the bigger picture of things, 2 is to dissociate... so I thought about the transition between death and the afterlife as the meaning of life.

666, 6 is life and carbon, and the truth is in 3's, this is a conspiracy with the bible stuff...

It can be valuable to have systems that have personal meaning and significance, I think. It's part of the way we use symbolism to order the world.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

So long as we don't ascribe innate meaning to the arbitrary associations we're constructing.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 08, 2013, 03:21:46 AM
So long as we don't ascribe innate meaning to the arbitrary associations we're constructing.

Yes, totally. Because it's just symbolism as part of an ordering system.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

The problem I find with these systems is their ability to take on a life of their own and apply Is-ness to things it has no right to do so.

And you don't even realize it until you've lost all sense of reality.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Some lady posted on facebook last night that the power was off and there was no storm, so she wanted to know why. Said "time to pull cards".

CALL THE CITY, DERPINA.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: 666 on February 08, 2013, 01:39:40 AM
Sometimes, to provoke more indepth thoughts with something I'll see a number or a shape, or objects and I'll count them quickly and register it with this meaning full list.

0 - Nothing, Off
1 - Unity, Singularity, Consciousness, On
2 - Disassociate, Separation, Duality
3 - Truth  :fnord:
4 - The Bigger Picture
5 - Protection
6 - Life, Carbon
7 - Significance
8 - Infinity "Nothing ( 0 ), with a twist( 8 )", life and sun worshiping
9 - Down side up six (anti life), Fluorine, Evolution, War, Conspiracy

Some of it makes sense.

Not to me.  What the hell are you talking about?  It's gabble.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: 666 on February 08, 2013, 03:07:44 AM

Except that 42 is not "4" and "2".  It's "40" and "2".

Fucking mumbo jumbo rots your Goddamn brain.  There are REAL mysteries and other assorted cool shit out there, without any need for staring at the wall and wanking over improperly manipulated numbers.

Jesus H Christ.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

And "42" isn't the meaning of life.  That's from a comedy novel.

Meaning of life: 

Get enough to eat.
Have a place to sleep.
A modicum of security.
Don't eat more shit than you have to.
Saturday night.

If you choose to and are able to reproduce, add:

Spend time with your kids.
Hope they grow up happy.

Everything else is wankery.

This isn't numerically expressable, because humans aren't computers.

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 08, 2013, 05:06:43 AM
The problem I find with these systems is their ability to take on a life of their own and apply Is-ness to things it has no right to do so.

And you don't even realize it until you've lost all sense of reality.

That's true, as well. It depends on the perspective a person approaches it from. But if it's synaesthesia, it's an inherent property of the numbers for that person, so it's not really debatable OR particularly meaningful, any more than the fact that yellow smells like vinegar.

The Good Reverend Roger

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 08, 2013, 03:22:25 PM
And "42" isn't the meaning of life.  That's from a comedy novel.

Meaning of life: 

Get enough to eat.
Have a place to sleep.
A modicum of security.
Don't eat more shit than you have to.
Saturday night.

If you choose to and are able to reproduce, add:

Spend time with your kids.
Hope they grow up happy.
Iff he's got all ^^that^^ reasonably covered
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 08, 2013, 03:22:25 PM
Everything else is wankery.
Is he allowed to do the wankery without ridicule?
i mean, it could be that's his Saturday Night.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on February 08, 2013, 03:46:53 PM
Is he allowed to do the wankery without ridicule?
i mean, it could be that's his Saturday Night.

And my Saturday night involves losing my shit at mushy-headed thinking.

He has the right to speak freely.  I have the right to respond in kind.  And that was barking, not ridicule.  If I was ridiculing him, you'd KNOW it.

Elder Iptuous

:lol:

Heh... right after i posted that, it slapped me that poking that kind of wankery is your saturday night. :)