News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

Richter's Spag - Along Workshop

Started by Richter, February 27, 2009, 02:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

For your amusement, inspiration, and education, here's stuff I've made up for one reason or another.

I've been messing around making penannular broaches out of brass rod stock for a few weeks.  The more recent version on the left has amber set into the terminals.  Mostly made for myself or for small gifts.  They all have a rougher, more "antique" look because I HATE polishing anything tarnishable if I intend to use it.

These have been posted before, the dog tags I made for my Battlestar Galactica costume.  I cut them out of a brass kickplate, shaped, weathered, and applied labels that Suu shooped up. 

The workbench.  I've set up 3, yes 3 work areas in the past year.  I keep moving around, so until I'm settled for a bit, I'm just making do with this tiny thing.  Not spacious, but handy and portable.  Plays host to such oft - moved items as much lunch case and long - suffering water bottle.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

Do you want a pic of my torc?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Raphaella

Awesome metal working!! Those penannular broaches are fantastic.  :fap: 
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Richter

My "trench spike".  The idea came from my grandfather's USA made 1917 pattern trench knife / spike.  It's a heavy steel carabiner (locking) welded to a SKS spike bayonet.  The carabiner locks shut, and I've spent some time hitting a heavy bag with it, so it's quite safe as a knuckleduster.  One of few things I've designed solely as a weapon.

Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Richter

Brass torc, commissioned by Suu.
The terminals (ends) are amber and copper wire. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Richter on February 27, 2009, 03:01:52 AM
My "trench spike".  The idea came from my grandfather's USA made 1917 pattern trench knife / spike.  It's a heavy steel carabiner (locking) welded to a SKS spike bayonet.  The carabiner locks shut, and I've spent some time hitting a heavy bag with it, so it's quite safe as a knuckleduster.  One of few things I've designed solely as a weapon.

I want to order 20 of those things.  But they should fly, and be controlled by my hate.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 27, 2009, 03:46:25 AM
Quote from: Richter on February 27, 2009, 03:01:52 AM

I want to order 20 of those things.  But they should fly, and be controlled by my hate.

Oh, such a sweet mental image.

Richter, I love your brass work! The brooch set with amber is AWESOME. I love them because they look like authentic OLD pieces.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sir Squid Diddimus

this is neat stuff man  :)

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Richter

Nigel / Raphella / Squid:  Thanks!  I'm still playing around with the different things I can pull off.
Brass kind of became the metal to use when I had to move away from a fireproof place where I could have a vise and grinder set up.

Suu's father is a metalurgical / chemical guru, and gave me some sound advice about getting the cheap alloys most commonly available to cooperate.  

TGRR: No welder.   :argh!:  I'll let you know when I can lay hands on one.
If the job will let you take a steam cleaner to clean Sister Gothique's bathroom, then there's got to be someone you could talk into messing with a welder...

This IS a longstanding annoyance with city life: though I am BADLY tempted to put a small oxy / acetylene, or simple electric rig in the apartment, the place is a tinderbox.  It would cross the line from crazy awesome to crazy stupid REAL fast.  
I need to start bugging the friends that have garage space, or check out the metal / glass studio across the tracks.  

Richter

Suu

Speaking of which...sent pics to my dad. No response yet but I'm sure he'll be interested in checking them out.

Wearing the torc to work today too. LOL.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

So at the shire meeting this week, a couple of the blacksmiths were showing off metal clay. Have you played with any of it yet? They had silver and bronze.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I heard that the PMC people had come out with bronze metal clay, I didn't know about the copper... that's cool!

Richter if you do get a shop space, let me know if you have any interest in glass. :D

Edit: apparently I am not at all awake, you said nothing about copper in your post. Maybe wishful thinking on my part?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Quote from: Ratatosk on February 27, 2009, 03:23:19 PM
So at the shire meeting this week, a couple of the blacksmiths were showing off metal clay. Have you played with any of it yet? They had silver and bronze.

Casting in REVERSE!  That looks like fun stuff. 
I wonder about the fusing process though.  Seems like it would be easy to get a brittle piece with too little heat (insufficient fusing of metalic particles as the binder leaves, or have the whole project "run" if it's too hot. 
HUGE advantage for small, detailed pieces.  I'd want to play around with it for strength / durability, whereas anything I torch, bend, or hammer I KNOW is solid.