News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

What we've all been waiting for...

Started by A.N. Other, March 22, 2008, 04:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.N. Other

A not-so-long rant. I was bored, but also didn't have the energy to really think about what to put in. Sad, isn't it?

The Christians have been waiting 2008 years for it...
The American people have been waiting for it for five years...
The world has been waiting for it since man first learned to kill another...
A friend of mine has been waiting for them to end for two years now...
I've been waiting for since I learned about it...
You might have been waiting for it yourself...

We've been all waiting for the same thing. We've been waiting for something called "shit that's never going to happen."
"Wow, for an asshole, everyone loves you, honey." -My wife

Cain

Damn right.

2012 promises to be amusing for exactly this reason, as well.  I'm already preparing to profit from that.

A.N. Other

Quote from: Cain on March 22, 2008, 04:10:12 PM
Damn right.

2012 promises to be amusing for exactly this reason, as well.  I'm already preparing to profit from that.

Ah, yes. 2012 should be a very interesting year.
"Wow, for an asshole, everyone loves you, honey." -My wife

Cain

I don't know about you, but I expect to not see:

plagues of locusts
the rise of the antichrist
the information singularity
Nibiru crash into earth
Russia, China, America, Iran, Israel, India and Pakistan to get into a nuclear war
Alien overlords take over the planet
the Mayan gods destroy the Universe
The Reptilian agents unasmking themselves
the poles exchange positions, or
Michael Bolton not suck

I do expect a damn good party going down Mexico way, which I intend to be at, but apart from that, I suspect it will all be business as usual.

Messier Undertree

Triple Zero

since mcKenna's timewave zero thingy was based on I-Ching, i suspect, if we tried really hard, the SSOOKN could come up with a reason why "it" will happen in 2012, no matter what actually happens.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I expect to see a lot of shit happen that turns out to be totally anticlimactic and not change a damn thing.

Nice rant! I liked it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Random Probability

2012?  What did I miss?  Is all this about that Mayan calendar long-count thing?

Cramulus

Even if no aliens or earthquakes or mass-consciousness happens in 2012, SOMETHING'S gonna happen for sure. The collective energy of the lunatic fringe is going to join in crescendo. Remember 1999? People go crazy about end-of-the-world theories. It doesn't matter if sometihng external happens or not. Something cool is going to happen because everyone will be looking for it.

BTW - My grandpa still has thousands of dollars worth of canned goods and jewelry buried in his back yard which he put there in anticipation of the Y2K bug.

Cain

Yes, and that thing will be mass hysteria and (if I get lucky) my mockery.

hooplala

I do find it interesting that the theory of information doubling has information doubling every second (or something like that, I don't have the numbers with me at the moment) starting in 2012.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

That was only a hypothesis, of course.

I'm not even sure how that would be possible, actually. I'm thinking it's gonna plateau, at some point.  Or at least get more linear, and less hyperbolic.

hooplala

True.  It still seems more reasonable than the end of the world, at least to me.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

Yeah I've been listening to this Information Doubling thing leading to a singularity. RAW called it the Jumpin' Jesus phenomenon. What I want to know is HOW do you quantify the sum of all human knowledge in a way that you could be sure it's "doubling"?

LMNO