News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

All of you are Eris...

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, May 08, 2015, 06:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

Quote from: MMIX on May 14, 2015, 09:50:38 AM
Quote from: Reginald Ret on May 14, 2015, 07:36:38 AM
Quote from: Dubya on May 14, 2015, 04:57:33 AM
Get all misty for about ten seconds and then recall that my prank is ruined - by a mortal.

I reward him with immortality, Moorcock style, where he's yanked out of his existence at random to go heroing in other continua.

Then I invent the game of bridge because I can.
I don't know what Moorcock is, but your plan reminds me of Sliders. And quantum leap. And the Odyssey of Odysseus.
[shakes elderly english head]
Consider this educational
http://www.avclub.com/article/where-to-start-with-fantasy-overlord-michael-moorc-81614
Jeesers fuck, Sliders & Quantum Leap ???
[/shakes elderly english head]
YOY!!!!! more books to read!

Also, what is wrong with Sliders and Quantum Leap?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

MMIX

Quote from: Reginald Ret on May 14, 2015, 10:16:13 AM
Get all misty for about ten seconds and then recall that my prank is ruined - by a mortal.

I reward him with immortality, Moorcock style, where he's yanked out of his existence at random to go heroing in other continua.

I don't know what Moorcock is, but your plan reminds me of Sliders. And quantum leap. And the Odyssey of Odysseus.
http://www.avclub.com/article/where-to-start-with-fantasy-overlord-michael-moorc-81614

There's nothing wrong with them. True confession - I watched both with some enthusiasm back in the day. But, they are not great literature yanno? And Moorcock is kind of a different level of storytelling. Not saying that books are inherently "better" or of more "cultural worth" than TV but I would place Sliders and Quantum Leap as kind of middle to low brow TV. YMMV. See what I'm trying to say?
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Reginald Ret

Quote from: MMIX on May 14, 2015, 10:31:26 AM
Quote from: Reginald Ret on May 14, 2015, 10:16:13 AM

There's nothing wrong with them. True confession - I watched both with some enthusiasm back in the day. But, they are not great literature yanno? And Moorcock is kind of a different level of storytelling. Not saying that books are inherently "better" or of more "cultural worth" than TV but I would place Sliders and Quantum Leap as kind of middle to low brow TV. YMMV. See what I'm trying to say?
Gotcha.
I prefer books as well.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Doktor Howl

So do I.

But Moorcock was a hack.

There.  I said it.   :argh!:
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 15, 2015, 12:25:41 AM
So do I.

But Moorcock was a hack.

I wouldn't go so far as hack but I found what I read of his nigh on unreadable.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 15, 2015, 02:24:36 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 15, 2015, 12:25:41 AM
So do I.

But Moorcock was a hack.

I wouldn't go so far as hack but I found what I read of his nigh on unreadable.

He wrote the same fucking story like 9 times, and it was NOTHING but deus ex machina.
Molon Lube

MMIX

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 15, 2015, 02:34:06 AM

He wrote the same fucking story like 9 times, and it was NOTHING but deus ex machina.

But pretty much everyone does that in the fantasy realm. And yes he is not to everyone's taste. I loved Hawkwind back in the day but I've had a copy of Time of the Hawklords on my bookshelf for 30 some years that I liberated from a library sale for 5p and i've never got past page 3. But Moorcock, whatever you [generic you] think of his actual shit, is a significant step in the development of fantasy writing. I always assume that other people are more nuanced and intelligent readers of fiction than I am so I have no compunction in recommending classic material even if it doesn't float my boat.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Reginald Ret

I'm just looking forward to all the good Moorcock/More-cock jokes I can make at the bookstore.

MMIX

Quote from: Reginald Ret on May 15, 2015, 12:31:51 PM
I'm just looking forward to all the good Moorcock/More-cock jokes I can make at the bookstore.

Looking forward to hearing them all

Dubya

Quote from: Reginald Ret on May 15, 2015, 12:31:51 PM

There was a Niel Gaiman short story where he noted in passing the phallic names of fantasy and sci-fi  writers. Moorcock, Philip K Dick, etc.

Personally, I can't read the Elric books anymore without cracking up from the melodrama. There was one story I remember where he and the other manifestations of the eternal hero formed up - I shit you not - like Voltron to whup up on some interdimensional villain.

But the books I was thinking of were the Blood trilogy, which were wonderfully weird. Possibly the best Ive read of his.
"Gold Medalist of the 2015 David Cameron Memorial Barnyard Olympics."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: MMIX on May 15, 2015, 10:50:14 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 15, 2015, 02:34:06 AM

But pretty much everyone does that in the fantasy realm. And yes he is not to everyone's taste. I loved Hawkwind back in the day but I've had a copy of Time of the Hawklords on my bookshelf for 30 some years that I liberated from a library sale for 5p and i've never got past page 3. But Moorcock, whatever you [generic you] think of his actual shit, is a significant step in the development of fantasy writing. I always assume that other people are more nuanced and intelligent readers of fiction than I am so I have no compunction in recommending classic material even if it doesn't float my boat.

It wounded me as a youngster.  It made me feel like I'd feel if I found out my dad had been the commandant of Dachau or something.
Molon Lube

MMIX

Wow. Just Wow. That sort of pain stays with you. Sympathy Dok.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: MMIX on May 15, 2015, 08:23:07 PM
Wow. Just Wow. That sort of pain stays with you. Sympathy Dok.

In return, I'd like to apologize on behalf of my nation for doing this to you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

Molon Lube

MMIX