News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

Jarring Discordian Posters

Started by Dean, December 31, 2010, 08:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean

How about we make jarring posters advertising discordia? Posters that people will look at and be  :eek: . These are fundamentally different than posters like "23 things while you wait" as those are mindfuck posters and while they have the potential to shock people, these new posters will be more for the sole purpose of advertising discordia in a shocking fashion.

I opted to go for a "positive aspects of being a discordian" angle when making this poster.

Remember: Aphrodite may be the greek goddess of beauty, but Eris is the greek goddess of fucking sexy!

LMNO

Gray Jester

Quote from: Dean on December 31, 2010, 08:58:05 AM
How about we make jarring posters advertising discordia? Posters that people will look at and be  :eek: . These are fundamentally different than posters like "23 things while you wait" as those are mindfuck posters and while they have the potential to shock people, these new posters will be more for the sole purpose of advertising discordia in a shocking fashion.

If you only shock people, many will often just shut down.  They'll simply put it in the category of "gross and disgusting things I don't want to think about", and move on from there.  It's important to tread the line between being shocking and the point that people think of as having no redeeming social value.  (Basically, if you are somewhat shocking and charming/funny, people will pay attention.  If you are -just- shocking, people will shut down and you lose your chance to blow their mind through more subtle methods.)

---
That being said, I like the poster sample.  I'll be in my room if you need me.   :fap: :fap: :fap:
I am a surrealist.  It makes me feel more knightly.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That poster was OK. But, it pretty much presumes the complete nonexistence or irrelevance of straight females, so you're alienating half your audience before you even leave go. If you had a counterpart poster with, say, Mars, it might be funny, but then you're just promoting the Greek pantheon, not Discordianism.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The other thing about that poster is that the entire audience is religiously disillusioned boys between 13-24. Nobody else will even think about it. Sexually objectifying a deity pretty much automatically places it in the "joke" category.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bu🤠ns

Also Eris
How about we make jarring posters advertising discordia? Posters that people will look at and be  :eek: . These are fundamentally different than posters like "23 things while you wait" as those are mindfuck posters and while they have the potential to shock people, these new posters will be more for the sole purpose of advertising discordia in a shocking fashion.

I opted to go for a "positive aspects of being a discordian" angle when making this poster.

Remember: Aphrodite may be the greek goddess of beauty, but Eris is the greek goddess of fucking sexy!

Isn't Eris butt ass ugly traditionally?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Burns on December 31, 2010, 07:31:21 PM
Also Eris
How about we make jarring posters advertising discordia? Posters that people will look at and be  :eek: . These are fundamentally different than posters like "23 things while you wait" as those are mindfuck posters and while they have the potential to shock people, these new posters will be more for the sole purpose of advertising discordia in a shocking fashion.

I think that's the traditional depiction with the most reference material to back it up, yes. Ancient images of Eris I've seen weren't hideous, but they weren't hot, either.

My own personal mental image of her is not unattractive, but with a slightly creepy knowing quality that would give most people a combination of limpdick and The Fear.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Nigel on December 31, 2010, 09:20:27 PM
Also Eris

I think that's the traditional depiction with the most reference material to back it up, yes. Ancient images of Eris I've seen weren't hideous, but they weren't hot, either.

My own personal mental image of her is not unattractive, but with a slightly creepy knowing quality that would give most people a combination of limpdick and The Fear.

:lulz: I think I might just adopt that image.  Might keep the unattractive version around to keep me from getting too caught up in teh crazy.

Phox

Also Eris

This. Especially the second line.

Telarus

Also Eris

Dear Goddess, so much of this.

As to the discordant mythical portrayals of our goddess, it stems from the fact that She is also Enyo of the Graiae (and arguably all 3 of them), and thus was (a) beautiful swan maiden(s) at the beginning of time (and probably not publicly differentiated from Rhea/Ma/Cybele as in the later period).

But by the time of Perseus, She was (one or all) of the 3 hags he had to trick for the location of Medusa's temple.

Then again, when She took Her form as Rhea the 'Loverattle Goddess' to mess with the military events in India, she was a fucking knockout, probably in order to contrast the gore and depravity around her.

The description we get through the PD actually comes from the Romans, where she went through similar shifts in 'beauty' depending on popular opinion. As regal Bellona, Her temple was the representative of any and all foreign powers, and you literally had to assault it (throw a spear at her gateway) to formally declare war in the Senate. The 'dagger clutched in her bosom' is a roman officer's blade of office (the design was Her's first, the Roman military cult decided that each officer carrying a round a totem of Enyo, Destroyer of Cities was a good idea, or something...), called the PARAZONIUM (it's really more of a short sword).

By 5 AD, when Polycharmus Azenius, the Archon of Athens, pronounced the punishment of ostrakon, or exile, for Megas, the last surviving Grecian priest of Eris, Her public image was seriously divorced from Cybele, the new public face of the Magna Mater, and was pretty much what we got through the PD.

I like the poster, BTW.

We could also use Bellona to good effect. The US Government has tons and tons of art depicting Bellona in American colors.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Dean

Here's another, inspired by "keep calm and carry on". Gender and sexuality neutral (hopefully), but also less 'jarring'.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on December 31, 2010, 07:06:37 PMSexually objectifying a deity pretty much automatically places it in the "joke" category.

Disagree about this particular bit btw. I think it's perfectly possible to sexually objectify a serious deity. On the other hand, agree with your other notions about the poster, and does have a strong "joke" thing about it, but not simply because of the sexual objectivifcation.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 01, 2011, 09:28:52 PM
Quote from: Nigel on December 31, 2010, 07:06:37 PMSexually objectifying a deity pretty much automatically places it in the "joke" category.

Disagree about this particular bit btw. I think it's perfectly possible to sexually objectify a serious deity. On the other hand, agree with your other notions about the poster, and does have a strong "joke" thing about it, but not simply because of the sexual objectivifcation.

I think that, unless it's a specifically sexual deity, most people will look at it and think it's a joke. Oh, lol. Jacking off to your god. Whatever. Dismissed.

My complaint is that it makes it ineffective at making anyone think.

Jasper

Quote from: Dean on January 01, 2011, 10:10:35 AM
Here's another, inspired by "keep calm and carry on". Gender and sexuality neutral (hopefully), but also less 'jarring'.

I like it.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I much prefer your second one in terms of visual design, but it's still depending entirely on a stale joke rather than extending or illustrating a discordian concept.

I'm not going to pile on for your first one even though I'm not a fan of it, however, if you really like it then fuck what anyone thinks and put your damn poster up.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A