News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

How can you tell it's an election year?

Started by Cain, May 10, 2012, 07:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Top democrats are in favour of gay marriage.  Again.

I bet they'll stop the war in Iraq and investigate torture, too  :lol:

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

:lulz:

And something vague about improving healthcare.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Doktor Howl

SO LONG CAMP X-RAY!  SEE YA IN ST LOUIS, EXTRAORDINARY RENDITION!
Molon Lube

Cain

Jacobin Magazine, as one would expect of a publication with such a name, brings the goods

http://jacobinmag.com/blog/2012/05/stonewall-was-a-wedding/

QuoteAre we done yet? Do we have to endure another full day of self-congratulation at Obama's personal endorsement of same-sex marriage? His announcement was heralded with as much praise as last summer's legalization of gay marriage in New York. And that was, you know, actual legislation.

This is hardly surprising given the fact that marriage equality is designed to distract liberal consciences and give Democrats political cover to gut social services. While the passage of gay marriage enjoyed the support of prominent campaign donors, it was directly preceded by cuts to homeless shelters for queer youth. It's a campaign season bait-and-switch — winning votes without making real concessions.

Case in point: Bloomberg commended Obama for joining a legacy of "courageous stands that so many Americans have taken over the years on behalf of equal rights for gay and lesbian Americans, stretching back to the Stonewall Inn in Greenwich Village." This days after slashing youth homeless shelter funding by $7 million, in a city where 40% of homeless youth are LGBT.

Looked at from this vantage point, the chief beneficiaries of gay marriage will be Crate & Barrel, not the queer folks with the most desperate needs. There is an obvious disconnect between the desires of politically connected, wealthy gay people and the needs of queer youth, and yet the major gay rights organizations have all rallied around gay marriage as if it will solve the problems of gay people everywhere, regardless of race or class.

Gay marriage proponents feed us two flavors of justification for their crusade. For the romantics they supply fantasy — the notion that legal inclusion brings social justice; for the cynics, they tout the thousand individual rights that a marriage certificate bestows.

These arguments should raise serious red flags for the Jacobin rank-and-file, and indeed, neither holds water. You'd think in the "age of the 99%," we teeming masses would be able to see that what's good for the few isn't good for us all. It's true that marriage comes with material advantages — healthcare, citizenship, and inheritance chief among them — but therein also lies the problem. Marriage consolidates privilege by creating a legal basis for denying access to those thousand rights; it literally sanctions discrimination. Instead of bestowing rights based on relationship status, the state should guarantee those rights for all people. Instead we attach basic rights to an institution with a 50% failure rate.

The obsession with marriage also sanitizes the history of queer struggle. Stonewall was not a wedding, it was a riot, led by the very queers who are now erased from the public image of gay equality. Drag queens, trans people of color, young queers, and butch dykes fought systematic violence and in Sarah Schulman's words, "[...] arose to change society, to expand rigid gender roles, to break down confining social mores of privatized families and to defy the consumerism that accompanies monogamy and nuclear family lifestyle in the United States." That transformative vision has been sidelined by the marriage crowd, who are content to bestow rights only on the deserving few.

Nephew Twiddleton

I think I'll have to start reading that site.

Also, I think Obama should go the extra step and marry Biden.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Bruce Twillis on May 12, 2012, 02:03:24 PM
I think I'll have to start reading that site.

Also, I think Obama should go the extra step and marry Biden.

He's already married. He has to divorce his wife first, or that's bigamy. And NOBODY except Mormons support bigamy.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on May 12, 2012, 01:55:20 PM
Jacobin Magazine, as one would expect of a publication with such a name, brings the goods

http://jacobinmag.com/blog/2012/05/stonewall-was-a-wedding/

QuoteAre we done yet? Do we have to endure another full day of self-congratulation at Obama's personal endorsement of same-sex marriage? His announcement was heralded with as much praise as last summer's legalization of gay marriage in New York. And that was, you know, actual legislation.

This is hardly surprising given the fact that marriage equality is designed to distract liberal consciences and give Democrats political cover to gut social services. While the passage of gay marriage enjoyed the support of prominent campaign donors, it was directly preceded by cuts to homeless shelters for queer youth. It's a campaign season bait-and-switch — winning votes without making real concessions.

Case in point: Bloomberg commended Obama for joining a legacy of "courageous stands that so many Americans have taken over the years on behalf of equal rights for gay and lesbian Americans, stretching back to the Stonewall Inn in Greenwich Village." This days after slashing youth homeless shelter funding by $7 million, in a city where 40% of homeless youth are LGBT.

Looked at from this vantage point, the chief beneficiaries of gay marriage will be Crate & Barrel, not the queer folks with the most desperate needs. There is an obvious disconnect between the desires of politically connected, wealthy gay people and the needs of queer youth, and yet the major gay rights organizations have all rallied around gay marriage as if it will solve the problems of gay people everywhere, regardless of race or class.

Gay marriage proponents feed us two flavors of justification for their crusade. For the romantics they supply fantasy — the notion that legal inclusion brings social justice; for the cynics, they tout the thousand individual rights that a marriage certificate bestows.

These arguments should raise serious red flags for the Jacobin rank-and-file, and indeed, neither holds water. You'd think in the "age of the 99%," we teeming masses would be able to see that what's good for the few isn't good for us all. It's true that marriage comes with material advantages — healthcare, citizenship, and inheritance chief among them — but therein also lies the problem. Marriage consolidates privilege by creating a legal basis for denying access to those thousand rights; it literally sanctions discrimination. Instead of bestowing rights based on relationship status, the state should guarantee those rights for all people. Instead we attach basic rights to an institution with a 50% failure rate.

The obsession with marriage also sanitizes the history of queer struggle. Stonewall was not a wedding, it was a riot, led by the very queers who are now erased from the public image of gay equality. Drag queens, trans people of color, young queers, and butch dykes fought systematic violence and in Sarah Schulman's words, "[...] arose to change society, to expand rigid gender roles, to break down confining social mores of privatized families and to defy the consumerism that accompanies monogamy and nuclear family lifestyle in the United States." That transformative vision has been sidelined by the marriage crowd, who are content to bestow rights only on the deserving few.

They make some hella points, there.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Gay marriage proponents feed us two flavors of justification for their crusade. For the romantics they supply fantasy — the notion that legal inclusion brings social justice;

It fucking well does.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 13, 2012, 09:33:14 AM

Gay marriage proponents feed us two flavors of justification for their crusade. For the romantics they supply fantasy — the notion that legal inclusion brings social justice;

It fucking well does.

Sorta like how that whole "equal rights for blacks" thing didn't eliminate racism, but it did move society as a whole forward in a hugely significant step by doing away with legally sanctioned bigotry.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on May 14, 2012, 03:53:09 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 13, 2012, 09:33:14 AM

It fucking well does.

Sorta like how that whole "equal rights for blacks" thing didn't eliminate racism, but it did move society as a whole forward in a hugely significant step by doing away with legally sanctioned bigotry.

Not only that, but once the laws are in effect, you can force people to treat each other accordingly.  You can't force them to change their views, but you CAN force them to change their behavior, which eventually changes society's view as a whole.

Also, crying and sniveling because you (the author, I mean) got what you wanted but now it isn't GOOD ENOUGH is fucking fantastic.  It sure as hell doesn't play into the hands of the RWNs with the low foreheads or anything.

"Okay, we got this, let's move forward."  <--- Useful attitude.

"SO HE ENDORSED GAY MARRIAGE!  THAT'S LIKE SHOVING GAYS INTO THE GAS CHAMBERS BECAUSE THERE'S STILL PROBLEMS!"  <--- Useless fucking hipster attitude.
Molon Lube

E.O.T.

RAD

link CAIN. obama ought to become a homeless gay youth and harass the next president in regards to race, sex, health and homelessness issues. obama should totally go tranny and run with Genesis p. orridge in 2016. that's probably what he's planning on doing, this is all just a primer
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Icey

Quote from: E.O.T. on May 14, 2012, 04:10:18 PM
RAD

link CAIN. obama ought to become a homeless gay youth and harass the next president in regards to race, sex, health and homelessness issues. obama should totally go tranny and run with Genesis p. orridge in 2016. that's probably what he's planning on doing, this is all just a primer

I'd be fine if Obama just became the flamboyant version of Putin.

Doktor Howl

BREAKING:  RON PAUL DROPS OUT OF THE RACE.  AT THE STARTING LINE.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 14, 2012, 08:15:26 PM
BREAKING:  RON PAUL DROPS OUT OF THE RACE.  AT THE STARTING LINE.

I'm starting to think that Republicans mostly just use the Presidential race as a moneymaking scheme.