News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

tulpas :^)

Started by Meunster, December 12, 2014, 01:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

One of the major problems with untangling the origins of psychopathy and differentiating it from sociopathy is that psychopaths are often the children of psychopaths, which muddies the waters in terms of the method of heritability.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 13, 2014, 05:03:57 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on December 13, 2014, 04:38:53 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 12, 2014, 11:57:47 PM
Quote from: The Johnny on December 12, 2014, 11:45:47 PM
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Psychopath_vs_Sociopath   :?

That entry does a pretty poor job of expressing the difference, IMO. From the reading I've done, mostly the books by Hare and Kiehl, psychopathy is a heritable condition that is primarily biologically-based, while sociopathy is an environmentally-induced condition.

The lines there really blur, because having the genetic predisposition for psychopathy is not a guarantee that it will develop. However, I think they make the distinction because sociopathy is a condition that was unlikely to be the default condition of the sufferer without significant social factors, and can often be treated, while psychopathy is more likely  to emerge without significant social factors, and is less tractable.

The comparison chart in that link seems to contradict the information given above it.

How so?

The information given above says psychopaths are prone to impulsiveness which leads to risk taking behavior, then the chart below attributes those qualities to sociopaths and claims psychopaths use premeditated crimes with controllable risks.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on December 13, 2014, 05:11:47 PM

That entry does a pretty poor job of expressing the difference, IMO. From the reading I've done, mostly the books by Hare and Kiehl, psychopathy is a heritable condition that is primarily biologically-based, while sociopathy is an environmentally-induced condition.

The lines there really blur, because having the genetic predisposition for psychopathy is not a guarantee that it will develop. However, I think they make the distinction because sociopathy is a condition that was unlikely to be the default condition of the sufferer without significant social factors, and can often be treated, while psychopathy is more likely  to emerge without significant social factors, and is less tractable.

The comparison chart in that link seems to contradict the information given above it.

How so?

The information given above says psychopaths are prone to impulsiveness which leads to risk taking behavior, then the chart below attributes those qualities to sociopaths and claims psychopaths use premeditated crimes with controllable risks.

Huh.

As far as I know, both are prone to risk-taking and poor at calculating consequences. I know that in the case of psychopaths that's largely due to underdeveloped amygdalas, and my guess is that it's also true of sociopaths.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

However, psychopaths are less prone to acting out... probably because acting out is part of the diagnosis for sociopaths. And again we get into why the DSM is becoming less and less valuable as we grow to understand more about underlying factors.

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on December 13, 2014, 05:11:47 PM

How so?

I went back and read it, and what it's saying are that psychopaths have a temperamental predisposition to risk-taking: it is specifically addressing temperament, which is an inborn trait. It is emphasizing that psychopaths are born, while sociopaths are made.

It is my guess that there is also a temperamental factor in sociopaths, as well, because not everyone who is exposed to a negative/abusive environment becomes a sociopath.

The whole thing is further confused by the fact that not all psychopaths behave antisocially.

Doktor Howl

How would you know someone is if they don't act anti-socially?
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 14, 2014, 11:44:16 PM

There's a funny story about that...

Quote"I got to the bottom of the stack, and saw this scan that was obviously pathological," he says, noting that it showed low activity in certain areas of the frontal and temporal lobes linked to empathy, morality and self-control. Knowing that it belonged to a member of his family, Fallon checked his lab's PET machine for an error (it was working perfectly fine) and then decided he simply had to break the blinding that prevented him from knowing whose brain was pictured. When he looked up the code, he was greeted by an unsettling revelation: the psychopathic brain pictured in the scan was his own.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-neuroscientist-who-discovered-he-was-a-psychopath-180947814/#bu4H5t2DExckuDXl.99

The Johnny

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 14, 2014, 11:49:58 PM

Quote"I got to the bottom of the stack, and saw this scan that was obviously pathological," he says, noting that it showed low activity in certain areas of the frontal and temporal lobes linked to empathy, morality and self-control. Knowing that it belonged to a member of his family, Fallon checked his lab's PET machine for an error (it was working perfectly fine) and then decided he simply had to break the blinding that prevented him from knowing whose brain was pictured. When he looked up the code, he was greeted by an unsettling revelation: the psychopathic brain pictured in the scan was his own.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-neuroscientist-who-discovered-he-was-a-psychopath-180947814/#bu4H5t2DExckuDXl.99

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Doktor Howl

"Then Roger shrugged, and ate his lunch."
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 15, 2014, 12:04:29 AM

"Then Roger shrugged, and ate his lunch."

:lulz:

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 12, 2014, 03:52:31 PM
Quote from: Cain on December 12, 2014, 02:04:18 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 12, 2014, 01:34:27 PM
Cain, I'm worried about how much time you're spending on Tumblr.

QuoteYeah, I know. It's been months since the last update but there's been nothing new to add. We've been having absolutely no progress at all because I feel that there's nothing left to try anymore... Nevertheless, things are still lively in this head, here's a quick summary for each of us.

Shai:

Adopted a gray kitten from one of my lucid dreams, (it's not a tulpa as far as we know or at least it doesn't seem to be more intelligent than a normal house cat). Has been singing a lot during work as we listen to music from a MP3 player, her voice overrides the vocals of the songs and sounds beautiful. Possesses very rarely and only switches in to eat cookies, cake and other sweet stuff (plus petting my sister's cat everytime we visit her).

Telk:

He's still fronting for most of the time, has cut down the alcohol consumption a lot. Doesn't have the time to socialize as much as before since he's started taking the work a lot more seriously than before but during weekends he's still the same old Telk. Still enjoys everyday life as much as one can.

Cherry:

I haven't been seeing her as much lately since she's usually at Telk's house and I'm on the other side of the wonderland, but she switches in to clean since Telk despises it. Organizes everything and has learned to play bass in the wonderland.

Me (Oni):

I usually fill in for Telk once or twice in the day when he wants to take a breather and front during evenings and early mornings when he sleeps. Most of my on time during free time I just play World of Tanks. I know, uninteresting as hell but that's just the usual me.

I don't know how to end this update other than vague promises that the life will still go on pretty much the same it has been, but I'm sure if something worth writing about pops up I'll be updating it in here. There'll be a party of some sorts of course when we get to day 1000 so there's that at least to wait for, so until next time!

Don't tell me you're not hooked.

Quote from: Hoopla on December 12, 2014, 01:46:29 PMFrom Tumblr:

QuoteYou know that saying, "if you talk to God long enough, he just might talk back?" It's like that, but with animated ponies.

:kingmeh:

It's like a truly endless supply of idiocy.

Is this the new Multiple Personality Disorder, now that craze has faded in popularity?

I think it fills the same niche as claiming Multiple Personalities, but without invoking the ire of mental illness-related bloggers on Tumblr. Frame it as a spiritual thing rather than a pathological thing, and ta-da! All the special snowflake-ness without the ableism brigade knocking down your door.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on December 16, 2014, 05:45:05 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 12, 2014, 03:52:31 PM
Quote from: Cain on December 12, 2014, 02:04:18 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 12, 2014, 01:34:27 PM
Cain, I'm worried about how much time you're spending on Tumblr.

QuoteYeah, I know. It's been months since the last update but there's been nothing new to add. We've been having absolutely no progress at all because I feel that there's nothing left to try anymore... Nevertheless, things are still lively in this head, here's a quick summary for each of us.

Shai:

Adopted a gray kitten from one of my lucid dreams, (it's not a tulpa as far as we know or at least it doesn't seem to be more intelligent than a normal house cat). Has been singing a lot during work as we listen to music from a MP3 player, her voice overrides the vocals of the songs and sounds beautiful. Possesses very rarely and only switches in to eat cookies, cake and other sweet stuff (plus petting my sister's cat everytime we visit her).

Telk:

He's still fronting for most of the time, has cut down the alcohol consumption a lot. Doesn't have the time to socialize as much as before since he's started taking the work a lot more seriously than before but during weekends he's still the same old Telk. Still enjoys everyday life as much as one can.

Cherry:

I haven't been seeing her as much lately since she's usually at Telk's house and I'm on the other side of the wonderland, but she switches in to clean since Telk despises it. Organizes everything and has learned to play bass in the wonderland.

Me (Oni):

I usually fill in for Telk once or twice in the day when he wants to take a breather and front during evenings and early mornings when he sleeps. Most of my on time during free time I just play World of Tanks. I know, uninteresting as hell but that's just the usual me.

I don't know how to end this update other than vague promises that the life will still go on pretty much the same it has been, but I'm sure if something worth writing about pops up I'll be updating it in here. There'll be a party of some sorts of course when we get to day 1000 so there's that at least to wait for, so until next time!

Don't tell me you're not hooked.

Quote from: Hoopla on December 12, 2014, 01:46:29 PMFrom Tumblr:

QuoteYou know that saying, "if you talk to God long enough, he just might talk back?" It's like that, but with animated ponies.

:kingmeh:

It's like a truly endless supply of idiocy.

Is this the new Multiple Personality Disorder, now that craze has faded in popularity?

I think it fills the same niche as claiming Multiple Personalities, but without invoking the ire of mental illness-related bloggers on Tumblr. Frame it as a spiritual thing rather than a pathological thing, and ta-da! All the special snowflake-ness without the ableism brigade knocking down your door.

Everybody wins!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The other day my 16-year-old told me she thinks she's a sociopath. I told her that I think she spends way too much time on Tumblr.

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 16, 2014, 05:53:32 PM
The other day my 16-year-old told me she thinks she's a sociopath. I told her that I think she spends way too much time on Tumblr.

That said, tumblr does have plenty of sociopaths on it.