OPEN BAR: NO CISNORMATIVE ELVEN PATRIARCHS ALLOWED

Started by Cain, January 22, 2015, 08:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Putting in some work today and hope to get some writing in this evening. Been helping a friend who just got her first job in years to commute quite a bit lately.

She's got a night audit job at a local hotel and the scumbag manager is likely about to get canned. Think I might put in for the job. It would be flexible enough to accommodate almost any schooling schedule and probably pay better. Also there are some side advantages to being in the hotel business. Everybody needs a place to crash sometimes. Seems like a potential windfall for my goals if it works out.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I sent the answers to my exam questions off a few hours ago. Have heard no response from the instructor to either than or to the question I asked yesterday about flexibility on the essay length. Meanwhile, my friend who sent his shortly after I sent  mine this morning, received an astoundingly arrogant and snide reply from her about his last answer, in which he basically said he didn't learn anything of interest for him and it seemed to be mostly review.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

CLUSTERFUCK: CRISIS ON INFINITE BOARDING SCHOOLS.

So, as of last night:

The mice are back, in force.
A student has put in a formal complaint about me.
We ahave a squatter in the building, and management is attempting to pin it on me and my coworker.

Pæs

FEED SQUATTER TO MICE AND PIN IT ON COMPLAINING STUDENT.

Sucks, though, man.

LMNO

PIN MICE ON COMPLAINING STUDENT AND FEED TO SQUATTER.

The Wizard Joseph

FEED COMPLAINING STUDENT TO MICE AND PIN MICE ON MANAGEMENT, SHOW TO SQUATTER.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Both tempting.

Basically, I think the second one is resolved now.  A student complained because...well, we have a strict guest policy.  It's dumb, especially for adults, but guests are out at 22:45.  She had signed in a guest who hadn't signed out.  So I knock on her door.  Show her my card.  Ask - very politely, as I can see she has just been woken - if she has any guests.  Ask if I can just quickly look in the room.  Apologise again for disturbing her.  Apparently this was all sufficiently disturbing to prompt an extremely angry and unprofessional email from her agent.  I've put them straight on the actual sequence of events...but I doubt anyone is going to call the agent out on this.  The matter will probably be left to slide.

The squatter, on the other hand...man this story is a magnitude of clusterfucks worse than that one.  So, as you may be aware, one of the people I work with was suspended.  He didn't help himself, and there was more than one reason, but one of the reasons given was that he allowed the friend of a resident to stay overnight at this place.  For this he was suspended for 10 days and had to attend both a "fact-finding meeting" and a disciplinary meeting.  Just keep this in mind, as I give this story.

On Sunday evening, some relatively sketchy, 30-40 something guy walks through the door, claiming he has a room and would like to move in now.  We don't handle bookings, they are processed via our client schools and the arrival details are then given to us once they confirm payment for accomodation.  So this is extremely unusual, to say the least.  After talking with the guy for an hour, our boss OKs him staying overnight.  Not just that, he puts him in the same cluster as one of our school age students, on the same floor as the other school age students (including female student clusters).  He was to stay for just one night.  However, he turned up last night, at 22:10, with a dubious piece of paper saying he has now paid the agent for the accomodation.  We still cannot verify this, or know anything about him.  Our boss OK's him to stay for another night.

This morning, while briefing our boss's boss on last nights events (he leaves around 06:15 to head to his office), he makes the remark that myself and my co-worker "must keep on top" of this issue.  As if we'd had any say in it.  As if we actually want the guy here.  Why would he say something like that, when it has nothing to do with us and he knows this is our last night on duty?  Because I'm at least 90% sure if this all goes arse up and it turns out the guy doesn't have money and has been playing us, they are going to try and lay the blame on us.  Due to management's role in the previous fiasco, they are already not looking good in senior management's eyes (one of the reasons for a "fact-finding" meeting with my suspended colleague) and if another fuckup happens on their watch I wouldn't be surprised if they were suspended.  So we're being set up as scapegoats.

So I spent the last 30 minutes I was on duty this morning backing up all evidence from emails to my personal account, and creating a digital/papertrail to put responsibility on the correct parties.  Also taken pictures of texts and call logs which show who made the decision on each night, in addition to our formal, internal paperwork.

It may not come to pass.  But if they want to try anything, they're going to regret it.

LMNO

QuoteSo I spent the last 30 minutes I was on duty this morning backing up all evidence from emails to my personal account, and creating a digital/papertrail to put responsibility on the correct parties.  Also taken pictures of texts and call logs which show who made the decision on each night, in addition to our formal, internal paperwork.

This was going to be my obvious unsolicited advice.

Cain

Hah, yeah.  Neither my co-worker nor I are complete dummies.  In fact, the minute he was out the door, we were like "did you just hear that correctly?"  After agreeing we did, it was a case of "backup everything!".  We also have two other members of staff here as witnesses (they're unionised and not inclined to take bullshit from management), and we can also always play the "20 hour working day" card to drop them in the shit with HR even more. 

Maybe everything will pan out.  Maybe this guy is legit.  But he should have never been let in without confirmation of payment, and he definitely should not have been put where he is.  There are many clusters with our 21+, adult students - some of whom are in their 30s.  Why wasn't he put in those?  Security at this place is a joke as it is (I'm actually going to see if I can wrangle money out from senior management for a full security assessment - we've had an armed robbery, a murder of a teenager and an attempted rape in the space of last month, and this building has basically no security beyond the house parents who - surprise - are not trained and licenced SIA personnel), but giving a stranger the keys to the building and a reason to be living on the same floor as teenage girls....I'm not taking the fall for this, if it comes to that.  No way.

LMNO

Cain

Yup

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31672691

QuoteA 15-year-old boy was fatally stabbed in north London when three men attacked him while he was cycling with friends.

A murder inquiry started after Alan Cartwright from Islington was knifed near Copenhagen Street in the borough, at about 19:30 GMT on Friday.

The teenager managed to cycle away but collapsed on nearby Caledonian Road and was pronounced dead at the scene.

QuoteIt is understood Alan had been cycling north on Caledonian Road when his friends were approached by three men walking in the opposite direction, close to the junction with Copenhagen Street, Scotland Yard said.

Alan was stabbed once and two bikes were stolen from the group before the suspects fled from the scene travelling south down Caledonian Road, the force added.

The teenager was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics from London Ambulance Service.

The Wizard Joseph

Holy crap! They will definitely be looking to drop the axe over blame for the liability alone, not to mention morally. Seems upheaval at work is "currently trending" in the stars or something.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 03, 2015, 09:45:10 PM
Your employers are criminals, dude. Wow.

Trust me, it's really NOT just his. Or the UK.

And really, really, not a minority either.

ETA - Well that sounds condescending as fuck. Not the intention/tone.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 03, 2015, 09:45:10 PM
Your employers are criminals, dude. Wow.

Yup.  Assuming they don't try and force me out sooner, as soon as my degree is done, I am leaving.