News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

A thread about the Black Death...

Started by AFK, September 06, 2012, 12:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: Cain on September 06, 2012, 08:04:00 PM
The Mongols using it as biological warfare against the Genoese didn't exactly help matters, either.

The Middle Ages were diiiiiiiiiiiiirty. Venice got slammed a lot too. Most seaports did.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Suu on September 06, 2012, 07:59:05 PM
Well, think about it...

In the 1300s, Europeans were wearing tighter fitting garments of thicker wools that locked in moisture and vermin. In more northern climates, they would LAYER it. (South of the Alps in Italy and Byzantium, they wore linen and less layers, and they were not impacted as much by the disease as France and Germany.)

By the time the 1500s came around, cotton was being introduced SLOWLY (it was fucking expensive,) linen and silk were becoming more affordable in the northern lands due to the movement of cultivation to Italy via Byzantium following the sack of Constantinople in 1453, as well as a HUGE style change which resulted in less clothing actually worn against the body. Detachable sleeves, farthingales to open skirts rather than layers of fabric, etc.

There is a documented massive change in climate between 1350 and 1550. Like...temps hitting 100*F+  in London during the reign of Henry VIII. They can also tell by vegetation and soil and such.

EEEENTERESTING

I might want to read your thesis when you're done.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Dark Monk

Seems China is still hit randomly with Pneumonic Plague, which is simply a form of Bubonic Plague but targeted in different areas of the body.
Bubonic is an infection in the lymphatic system, pneumonic is respiratory, and septicemic through the blood stream. (simple trivia)

Those that support the hypothesis that the two plagues are separate argue that they have separate symptoms, claiming that the bubonic plague causes the bubo glands(in your armpits, neck, and groin area to swell forming buboes, while the black death can also cause necrosis of the fingertips and toes.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_the_Black_Death_the_plague_and_the_bubonic_plague#ixzz25iksGAbF

So there is a large argument going on whether they're the same. It seems the general idea that the Black Death and Bubonic Plague are the same thing whether buboes are present or not, though I didn't put a whole lot of effort into researching it honestly, I had a general idea for a paper in HS.
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Suu

The necroses of the extremities may have been caused by ergotism. It's highly possible they were trying to treat the symptoms of the disease with ergot infected wheat as a method to get the patient to hallucinate as a pain killer, but they aren't sure. There's also the new belief that the Yersinia Pestis bacteria that may have caused the pandemic, at least what we call as the Second Pandemic (the first was Justinian's Plague, most likely smallpox.) was a mutated version that set in with the victim already having pneumonia, thus weakening the immune system.

It's absolutely wild what they're finding out now.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 06, 2012, 08:00:48 PM
Meh, sorry, a horrid awful disease almost killed a little girl.  Black Death, Yffing Persidis, whatever. 

Are we all happy now?

I know. Ain't it just awful?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"