News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Allow me to introduce myself...

Started by Cramulus, August 30, 2010, 03:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cainad on November 19, 2010, 06:20:06 AM
Sorry, it's late and I'm tired. Been surrounded by so much DUMB lately that it colored how I see everything.

Sorry, it's late, I've been dealing with retards and macho ass bags, and my left arm aches likes it was put into an arm bar then stepped on.

BadBeast

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

BadBeast

I won a Judo tournament when I was 10 using an armlock like that!
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Death

Quote from: geekdad on November 19, 2010, 06:16:31 AM
Quote from: Sir Coyote on November 19, 2010, 06:08:21 AM
It is their lack of mass and ridiculous handling characteristics. I have taken flack for having trained with shinai and wasters from people who use steel. I have given flack to guys who use nylon wasters for training. I approach armed combat as a martial art. Your concept safety is meaningless. I've trained with steel and prefer it to wood or shinai.

we are on the same side here, your point is exactly mine. New tech and ultra lights are shit and technically don't follow the rules as it states weapons should be close to real weapon weight.

The weapon I use is thick wall PVC with a pipe insulator, wrapped in blue camp foam, it has smaller faucet PVC inside keeping a 2lb lead weight at the end for counter balance at the hilt. It weights about 10lbs, is 50" long and the main striking part is 2.75" in diameter. Due to the counterweight, it is balanced 1 inch to the handguard (edited here wrong term).

The friend who brought me into amtgard had never seen a setup like it in the 12 years he had been playing. He thought it was a great idea. He prefer ed the 10 foot sewage PVC with pillows and couch foam on it, but that is ancient

Quote from: Sir Coyote on November 19, 2010, 06:08:21 AM
And WTF do you mean by your comment on cleaning a gun and having it accidentally going off? If you are cleaning a loaded weapon you are a fucking retard. You always, always, ALWAYS clear a weapon when you are first handed it, before handing it off to someone else or before cleaning it. ALWAYS.

The gun thing was meant as a joke... actually it's probably more likely to be nailed by lighting then shot while cleaning a gun.
I've never actually done Amtgard but I've been told by everyone it's much less fighting and much more roleplay than Dagorhir/Belegarth.  You don't actually fight, it's more like tag.  But I guess that depends on how your group does it.
Don't be worrying about snakes in your garden when you've got spiders in the bed.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Death on November 19, 2010, 04:58:16 PM
I've never actually done Amtgard but I've been told by everyone it's much less fighting and much more roleplay than Dagorhir/Belegarth.  You don't actually fight, it's more like tag. 

So, like kids playing guns, only with barbies included?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Death

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 19, 2010, 04:59:52 PM
I've never actually done Amtgard but I've been told by everyone it's much less fighting and much more roleplay than Dagorhir/Belegarth.  You don't actually fight, it's more like tag. 

Uhm, I don't see how you could think of it that way but if it makes sense to you, sure.
Don't be worrying about snakes in your garden when you've got spiders in the bed.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Death on November 19, 2010, 05:02:55 PM

Uhm, I don't see how you could think of it that way but if it makes sense to you, sure.

Well, it's make believe without either rolling dice1 or thumping people with shit (thumping people with shit is an excuse for anything).

1  Pen & paper is the only acceptable form of roleplaying according the 2008 Tucson Synod, and Tucson is the Holy City™ of Eris.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Death

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 19, 2010, 05:05:03 PM
Quote from: Death on November 19, 2010, 05:02:55 PM

Well, it's make believe without either rolling dice1 or thumping people with shit (thumping people with shit is an excuse for anything).

1  Pen & paper is the only acceptable form of roleplaying according the 2008 Tucson Synod, and Tucson is the Holy City™ of Eris.
From what I've been explained, yes.  You also have levels, and can use things you throw as magic missiles. 
I don't quite see where the guns and barbies fit in though.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Death on November 19, 2010, 05:10:27 PM
You also have levels, and can use things you throw as magic missiles. 

Bricks?

BadBeast

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 19, 2010, 05:25:04 PM

Bricks?
Headless Barbie dolls, full of Incendigel™, black powder, and ball bearings. With a four second cordite fuse stuck in her tack-hole.

Don Coyote

Bricks?

my previous post about rice filled handkerchiefs.

Death

Bricks?
:spittake:

Nerf footballs cut in half with streamers off the back of it.

Cain

Bricks?

Incidentally, if you read on far enough in the Discworld series, you'll find out a half brick in a sock can be an incredibly potent weapon, in the right hands.

BadBeast

Quote from: Subetai on November 20, 2010, 01:10:22 AM

Bricks?

Incidentally, if you read on far enough in the Discworld series, you'll find out a half brick in a sock can be an incredibly potent weapon, in the right hands.
My Nan carried a half brick around in her handbag all through WWII, and lived right through the Blitz. Even the Luftwaffe wont fuck with a Bristol Lass, with a half brick in her handbag!