Someone started talking about "traditional values being lost" on Facebook.

Started by POFP, November 17, 2014, 07:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POFP

Discussions on this board are wayyyy more efficient than on other boards. Sometimes. But this time especially. Not many boards have people who will discuss a seemingly minor topic until it becomes mind-altering. On most boards, if I got a response, it would've likely been "TL;DR" or "OP is f****t."

So, thank you.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Cain

Thanks everyone.

Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 21, 2014, 03:29:39 AM
"Traditional values" usually means conservatism, ie. maintaining the status quo, whatever that happens to be.

There can be value in resisting change, because change can have negative consequences. There can be value in conservatism, because it helps prevent the progressives in society from enacting change too rapidly and destabilizing core systems.

Not that I disagree with what you are saying...I guess I want to refine it?

I hold with Corey Robin's general thesis, that the status quo is inherently reactionary, but Conservatism, as an outgrowth and co-option of liberal political processes in defence of the Ancien Regime, is actually dynamic.  One of the greatest conservative political thinkers, Joseph de Maistre, posted a brilliant defence of absolutist monarchy...which is a shame, because France was never an absolutist monarchy (Machiavelli neatly disposes of that lie in The Prince).

Which pretty much sums up Conservatism all over.  It creates an imagined better past, to denigrate the present.  That past usually never existed, as those who operated as part of the status quo in the past were normally more heterogenerous in their views and attitudes than conservative theorists allow for.

This isn't entirely unsurprising, as the British political philosopher John Gray noted the same problem in how the concept of the "free market" was approached, a good few years before Robin wrote his thesis on conservatism (I'd love to see them sit down and discuss their respective books together).  The actual theorists of the free market were far more complicated and nuanced in their thought than their modern disciples...which is no surprise to anyone who has actually read Adam Smith.

And I agree, there is some value in conservatism.  Shaking up the core processes of society in a fast and haphazard manner is probably going to have negative consequences, because shit is complicated.  The French and the Russians tried that complete overhaul method, and well it didn't turn out too great.  Of course, all governments impact on their society, even the ones which claim they don't, but it's a matter of degrees, methods and implementation.  Gay marriage isn't going to ruin civilization...but putting farmers in charge of factories and factory workers in charge of farms might create an industrial recession and famine, leading to greater social unrest which spurs on political violence both by the regime and those who oppose it.  For example.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on November 21, 2014, 11:42:03 AM
Which pretty much sums up Conservatism all over.  It creates an imagined better past, to denigrate the present.  That past usually never existed, as those who operated as part of the status quo in the past were normally more heterogenerous in their views and attitudes than conservative theorists allow for.

Cain has won today's internet.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Cain on June 28, 1974, 02:10:12 PM
The French and the Russians tried that complete overhaul method, and well it didn't turn out too great.

The fall of those regimes was also helped along a great deal by the fact that people everywhere were put off by their insistence on taking bloody revenge on the old regime (in the form of the reign of terror and stalin's purges) rather than simply removing it
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Cain

Please could you stop talking.  I'd specify "on subjects you know nothing about", but based on your past and current output, it amounts to the same thing.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Just looked through the relevant wikipedia articles and my assessment of the Thermadorian Reaction, the Reign of Terror, and the White Terror seems to have been more or less accurate: people got sick of, disgusted by, and most importantly afraid of the Reign of Terror and rebelled agaiiinst the new government in favor of returning to royalism.

The comment about Stalin I can't solidly justify, but I get the distinct impression that even if it wasn't necessarily the reason for the west's hardline opposition to the USSR it certainly gave them a damn good excuse for it; one that still somehow manages to occasionally get bandied about today, despite it being 61 years after Stalin's death and 23 years since the Cold War was over and done with.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on November 21, 2014, 05:28:08 PM
Please could you stop talking.  I'd specify "on subjects you know nothing about", but based on your past and current output, it amounts to the same thing.

:potd:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."