News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

ALTAVISTA IS DOWN, REPEAT ALTAVISTA.COM IS DOWN

Started by Cramulus, August 12, 2013, 04:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

WE ARE NOW LIVING IN THE POST-ALTAVISTA WEB.

How the FUCK am I supposed to find the hottest new geocities.com websites? This is fucking bullshit. I'm not going back to goddamn lycos.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on August 12, 2013, 04:38:47 PM
WE ARE NOW LIVING IN THE POST-ALTAVISTA WEB.

How the FUCK am I supposed to find the hottest new geocities.com websites? This is fucking bullshit. I'm not going back to goddamn lycos.

WHAT'S NEXT?  TRIPOD?   :horrormirth:
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Aucoq

Holy shit, AltaVista and Lycos! Talk about a trip down memory lane.   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brb, gotta remember my Angelfire e-mail so I can log into Xanga.
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Faust

Not quite as green and black enough to give you your fix but:
https://neocities.org/
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cramulus

I miss the days when the net was an "information super highway" laden with highway metaphors like "on ramp" and "traffic jam".

I miss the days when FREE was bold and blinking

I miss the days when a website would let you know what was "NEW" or "HOT"

I want to read a list of people's favorite bands, movies, and food, in an unordered bullet point list

I want to go to a webpage called "My web page"

I miss the days when websites were organized by "neighborhood"

I miss downloading 3.5-inch diskettes full of "WAVS" and playing them for your friends. "Check out this clip of Donald Duck getting a handjob, you're gonna bust a nut .. from laughing"

But alas, they have taken our blink tags. They have taken our shitty frames. They have taken the tiny spinning skull on fire which you should click to read my weblog.

let's become digital amish, let's get tamagatchis, let's order pizza from the net, let's dial up via prodigy, let's be excellent to each other

Doktor Howl

I miss dial up BBSs, where you'd get disconnected if you forgot to turn call waiting off.

I miss the early days of usenet, where your post didn't appear for 12-24 hours, and a reply took the same amount of time.  Also, you needed a special browser.

I miss my accoustic coupler modem, which ran at a blinding 300 baud rate.

I miss waiting for my tape deck to incorrectly load a program into my Timex Sinclair.

I miss Fortran, Pascal, and COBOL. 

I miss compile errors on 8088 assemblers.
Molon Lube

Suu

I miss my first webpage. I made it in Frontpage and hosted it on Geocities. It had a background from Visual Paradox on there.

Edit: OMG I FOUND IT MIRRORED. *hides it back in the deepest part of the internets*

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Faust

Quote from: Cramulus on August 12, 2013, 05:01:00 PM
I miss the days when the net was an "information super highway" laden with highway metaphors like "on ramp" and "traffic jam".

I miss the days when FREE was bold and blinking

I miss the days when a website would let you know what was "NEW" or "HOT"

I want to read a list of people's favorite bands, movies, and food, in an unordered bullet point list

I want to go to a webpage called "My web page"

I miss the days when websites were organized by "neighborhood"

I miss downloading 3.5-inch diskettes full of "WAVS" and playing them for your friends. "Check out this clip of Donald Duck getting a handjob, you're gonna bust a nut .. from laughing"

But alas, they have taken our blink tags. They have taken our shitty frames. They have taken the tiny spinning skull on fire which you should click to read my weblog.

let's become digital amish, let's get tamagatchis, let's order pizza from the net, let's dial up via prodigy, let's be excellent to each other
Blink might be gone, but they have added rumble and shudder:

http://leonarnott.neocities.org/

Q. G. Pennyworth

A lot of the day yesterday was spent on my local copy of my old website. Light colored text on dark backgrounds that were loosely based on galaxies and made in paint, tables, and a page about "my friends" because that's totally what websites are for, right guys?

Faust

I found This ghetto piece of shit, the other day. It looks like it hasn't been updated in years.

Cainad (dec.)

I remember webrings.

I remember Netscape Navigator.

I remember the first time dad booted up some dinky-ass modem and it made a noise that was very clearly the sounds of things going HORRIBLY WRONG, even though it was just a modem. My child-brain took a while to get over that.

I remember when the Yahoo homepage wasn't completely overrun with crap I never look at.