News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Books That No One Should Read

Started by A.N. Other, August 27, 2008, 04:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mangrove

any fiction by Raymond Buckland.

Ok dude, we get that you're a famous witch and have penned popular manuals on the subject. Doesn't mean you can WRITE A STORY.

Same goes for Silver Ravenwolf however, I extend the ban to ANYTHING she's written, EVER.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

A.N. Other

Quote from: Mangrove on August 27, 2008, 07:56:32 PM
any fiction by Raymond Buckland.

Ok dude, we get that you're a famous witch and have penned popular manuals on the subject. Doesn't mean you can WRITE A STORY.

Same goes for Silver Ravenwolf however, I extend the ban to ANYTHING she's written, EVER.

Second on Ravenwolf. I always saw her as the Isaac Asimov of pagan writing (though Asimov, from what I hear, is really good). She seems to have a new book out every five minutes. Or maybe it's the same book over and over again, I'm not too sure. All I know is I can't even browse them without boredom.
"Wow, for an asshole, everyone loves you, honey." -My wife

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Cain on August 27, 2008, 11:27:42 AM
The Principia Discordia
Illuminatus! Trilogy

[/obvious]

Anyway I would NOT recommend reading:

Anything by Lee Child (cliche ridden, predictable, boring "thrillers")
Anything by Dan Brown (see above, plus adoring idiots fans).
Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller (I know, I know, its a play....)
Anything by Kant
Mein Kampf by Hitler (gibberish and paranoid ranting with no literary merit and only useful as a historical document).
The Left Behind Series - bad plot, bad writing, bad for your brain
I actually tried to read the first Left Behind book the other day.  I couldn't even get past the first chapter.  So tired and cliche.  And I'm still mad at you for suggesting Gary North's "Unholy Spirits". I can't even think of the words to describe how awful it is.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

nostalgicBadger

Quote from: Dr. Payne on August 27, 2008, 07:12:10 PM
The Bible.
I actually enjoy a lot of the bible. It's Christians who are the problem.

I would also like to add "anything by Mitch Albom" to the list.
meh.

Payne

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on August 28, 2008, 01:35:23 AM
The Bible.

I would also like to add "anything by Phillip K Dick" to the list.

Fixt

nostalgicBadger

Also true, but you guys seem to like him.
I figure most of us can agree on Mitch Albom though, right?
meh.

rong

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on August 28, 2008, 01:35:23 AM
The Bible.

2x

every time i crack open a bible i always find something that makes me say, "holy shit! i can't believe this is actually in the bible"
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Cain

The Bible sucks hairy goat balls.  Awful writing, boring plot, nothing of interest whatsoever.  "Elia who begat Noah who begat Adam who begat Joesph who begat NO-ONE GIVES A FUCKING SHIT, THATS WHO."

Cainad (dec.)

Not to mention one-dimensional characters and obscene amounts of Deus ex Machina.

Honey

Quote from: Cainad on August 28, 2008, 12:22:44 PM
Not to mention one-dimensional characters and obscene amounts of Deus ex Machina.

holy sheeeit!  this is the best literary review of the bible I've ever seen!  WoW!  Over rated & over used to justify inhumanity & intolerance.  Except for a few passages - the more poetic ones, I guess, which are quite beautiful (too few & too far between tho)
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Kai

Anything by Terry Goodkind.

Srsly, if the road to hell is paved with adverbs, then reading Goodkind is, well...you get the idea.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

Quote from: Kai on August 28, 2008, 03:45:57 PM

Srsly, if the road to hell is really, fully, and completely paved with adverbs, then reading Goodkind is, well...you get the idea.

Fixed for meta.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on August 28, 2008, 03:48:58 PM
Quote from: Kai on August 28, 2008, 03:45:57 PM

Srsly, if the road to hell is really, fully, and completely paved with adverbs, then reading Goodkind is, well...you get the idea.

Fixed for meta.

True dat.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

nostalgicBadger

Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2008, 11:05:57 AM
The Bible sucks hairy goat balls.  Awful writing, boring plot, nothing of interest whatsoever.  "Elia who begat Noah who begat Adam who begat Joesph who begat NO-ONE GIVES A FUCKING SHIT, THATS WHO."

Nah, you're missing the point. If you disregard any preconceived notions and all the common Christian misperceptions, Christ's philosophy is essentially Western Taoism. Christians have really butchered it with all of their homophobia and everything, but Jesus, whatever else he may have been, is still one of my favorite philosophers. Also, there really is a lot of wisdom in the Old Testament. The thing is, you can't read it as a religious text that anybody really took literally. If you think in terms of "why would they have written this?", you can, at the very least, learn a lot about ancient cultures.
meh.