News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

KAI, THEY'RE ON TO YOU!

Started by Kurt Christ, February 08, 2010, 06:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt Christ

Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

NotPublished

In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Requia ☣

This seems incredibly dangerous actually... the definition is loose enough that almost any political group would qualify.  so if somebody political pisses the DA off, he can not only arrest them with this law, but also all of their friends.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cain

Unless they register!

"Hello, yes, I would like to register the Al-Qaeda in South Carolina Group for Jihad and Preaching.  Can I pay in opium?"

Elder Iptuous

interestingly, the law makes exception for 'patriotic organization...whose objectives and aims do not contemplate the overthrow of the government of the United States, of this State or of any political subdivision thereof by force or violence or other unlawful means.'

of course, as a 'patriotic organization', you would think they are obligated to contemplate such founding principles as the fact that sometimes 'in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them'

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iptuous on February 08, 2010, 02:03:43 PM
interestingly, the law makes exception for 'patriotic organization...

Interestingly enough, this would not have covered Patrick Henry or Samuel Adams.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Interesting comment there:

Quote from: Michael BiblerThe real question here--and this is where I'd like to see the legal test case--is whether a member of "an organization subject to foreign control," like SHELL or TEXACO or ANY MULTINATIONAL CORPORATION, should have to register, too. If those corporations donate money to any political campaign, as the Supreme Court now says they can, aren't they interested in "controlling" the United States?
Molon Lube

Reginald Ret

isn't the US govt interested in controlling the US?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Jasper

Wow.  Luckily due to the "sticking apart" clause in our Super-Official Religious Texts, this doesn't apply to Discordians.

Iason Ouabache

Call me crazy but doesn't this go against the first amendment right of free speech and the right to assemble peaceably (and maybe the right to petition the Government for a redress of grievances)? It smells like political theater to make the state government look like they are tough on terrorism. It's a stupid and pointless law that will probably never need to be enforced. Besides, who would want to take over South Carolina these days?
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on February 08, 2010, 09:16:21 PM
Call me crazy but doesn't this go against the first amendment right of free speech and the right to assemble peaceably (and maybe the right to petition the Government for a redress of grievances)? It smells like political theater to make the state government look like they are tough on crime. It's a stupid and pointless law that will probably never need to be enforced.

Optimist.  It will be enforced plenty, on people with the wrong values.

And that constitution thing only works if The People believe in it.

They don't.
Molon Lube

Iason Ouabache

Ok, correction: It will be used like "and causing a nuisance" laws to add 20 years on the end of a 170 year sentence OR they will be used like current tax/RICO/Patriot Act laws to lock up people when they can't get any other charges to stick. It still sounds unconstitutional to me.  But I hope that some smartass DA uses it on the local Tea Party.  :lulz:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish