News:

Licenced Jenkem provider since 2007

Main Menu

My poem got published.

Started by Benaclypse, December 06, 2006, 04:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Even discounting Discordian books and MWM, I've been published in three seperate online publications, and if you include the above that makes 3 online magazines, 1 journal and soon to be five books (including one very well known counterculture classic).

And no, you cannot have my damn name.

Jenne

Cain, I wasn't calling anyone out.  But come on.  There are plenty of struggling authors out there that try very very hard to get published, and never do.  Being laughed at by that asshat Fnordbutt just because I said a truism is what I was reacting to.  This is the nets...anyone can claim ANYTHING.  Saying, "Oh, gee, I'm published all the fucking time, so SCREW YOU funny hag!" ain't gonna make your argument stick, just saying.

I'm not questioning anyone's veracity.  But if you're going to point and laugh, make sure your own pants aren't hanging down around your knees.

Cain

And I'm pointing out its very easy to get published, in certain circumstances.  And I also know for a fact that MGD has very sound media connections and professional camera skills.  Coupled with my own experience (of having neither and still getting published) I have no reason to doubt his word.

Jenne

YOU knew for a fact, *I* didn't.  I don't know him from Adam.

And it really really depends on who you are and what you're getting published, doesn't it?  *shrug*

Some get a contract first time off, lucky stroke or someone pulling a favor.  Some are just in the right place at the right time.

Usually, though, those in the college setting have waaaay more access to publishers than laypeople.  For a reason.  The Ivory Tower(tm) is where all the studies, R&D and journal excerpts are cultivated, derived and, essentially, born.

I don't know MGD from a hippie on the street.  I know he calls into question MY credentials quite often.  Though I've dropped enough info in the last YEAR that anyone with any brain at all can verify who I am, probably find out where I live and what I've been up to.  I'm an open book, however, pun unintended.

Always have been.

And let me be clear:  I'm not arguing with you. 

Suu

I'd also recommend staying away from self-publishing, most of them are scams. My goal for 2007 is to get my manuscript done and start sending it off to REAL publishers, even then, who the hell knows...
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LHX

anybody interested in getting published should prolly contact HIMEOBS

i heard they run all media
neat hell

Thurnez Isa

and they only take 25 % of all earnings (or so they tell you)
now thats a deal!!!!!
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: Jenne on December 12, 2006, 06:41:29 PM
Quote from: Persistent Vegetative State on December 12, 2006, 05:25:50 AM
Quote from: Jenne on December 07, 2006, 01:46:29 AM
Publishing is only second to the mob in crime.

Just saying.

That said, I still find it a feat to get published ONLINE even. *shrug*

Are you fucking serious?

:lol:
^ for reference, that's me laughing at you

I've been published in print for 5 magazines, 2 books, and too many newspapers to count and I'm still in college.

MGD,
Media Mafioso and Feat-Accomplisher extraordinarre, apparently.

:lol:
^me still laughing at you

It's truly not who you are, but who you know.

And yes, I'm serious.

Give us your "real name" in ink, buddyboi, and we'll decide what kind of publications you are in.  Because becoming a published auteur is no mean feat. 

Yes, deadly serious.  Srsly srs.

Laugh it up, fuzzball.

You're partly right about it being who you know, but you also have to be capable of producing stuff that's worth publishing. Time isn't going to run Bobby's poem about how depressed he is because nobody cares.

Yeah, let me give my identity out on the internet because I care so deeply about what other people on the internet think of my work. Excellent idea!

Quote from: Jenne on December 12, 2006, 06:46:41 PM
Oh, and one more thing...I noticed being in an ivory tower situation makes publishing that much easier.  You have the name and rep of the institution you are attending behind you.  Whereas, on your own, it's a little more difficult.  No name = no clout.

Try working your way up from the bottom. Try working for small publications so you can get clips to submit to slightly larger publications, repeat. That's probably the best way to get your stuff out there, schmoozing never hurts either.

Quote from: Jenne on December 12, 2006, 11:52:38 PM
Cain, I wasn't calling anyone out.  But come on.  There are plenty of struggling authors out there that try very very hard to get published, and never do.  Being laughed at by that asshat Fnordbutt just because I said a truism is what I was reacting to.  This is the nets...anyone can claim ANYTHING.  Saying, "Oh, gee, I'm published all the fucking time, so SCREW YOU funny hag!" ain't gonna make your argument stick, just saying.

I'm not questioning anyone's veracity.  But if you're going to point and laugh, make sure your own pants aren't hanging down around your knees.

Once again, what in your right fucking mind would make you think anyone in their right fucking mind would give out their identity online especially on a board like this?

Also, if you're going to try to get anything published you need thick skin because editors and publishers will tear you apart. If you think I'm being a dick try working for a magazine where the chief editor throws shit at people.

Quote from: kaousuu on December 13, 2006, 12:44:28 AM
I'd also recommend staying away from self-publishing, most of them are scams. My goal for 2007 is to get my manuscript done and start sending it off to REAL publishers, even then, who the hell knows...

Troof.

I don't know a ton about book and movie publishing but the more people who see your stuff the better your odds are.

Quote from: LHX on December 13, 2006, 03:50:52 AM
anybody interested in getting published should prolly contact HIMEOBS

i heard they run all media

Also troof.

Suu

Quote from: Persistent Vegetative State on December 13, 2006, 05:55:45 AM

Also, if you're going to try to get anything published you need thick skin because editors and publishers will tear you apart. If you think I'm being a dick try working for a magazine where the chief editor throws shit at people.

I worked as an intern for the NY Times. Please, I know the evils that are chief editors.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jenne

Quote from: Persistent Vegetative State on December 13, 2006, 05:55:45 AM
Quote from: Jenne on December 12, 2006, 11:52:38 PM
Cain, I wasn't calling anyone out. But come on. There are plenty of struggling authors out there that try very very hard to get published, and never do. Being laughed at by that asshat Fnordbutt just because I said a truism is what I was reacting to. This is the nets...anyone can claim ANYTHING. Saying, "Oh, gee, I'm published all the fucking time, so SCREW YOU funny hag!" ain't gonna make your argument stick, just saying.

I'm not questioning anyone's veracity. But if you're going to point and laugh, make sure your own pants aren't hanging down around your knees.

Once again, what in your right fucking mind would make you think anyone in their right fucking mind would give out their identity online especially on a board like this?

I was a law clerk in Hollywood in a former life.

Nuff said.

You're not being a dick, Fnordie, just yourself.  :D

What exactly is a law clerk and why is it such a rough job?