News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

Terry Pratchett

Started by Slarti, November 03, 2003, 01:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slarti

If i were to get into reading Terry Pratchett, what books should i start out with?

Trollax

The first two books... "the colour of magic," "the light fantastic"

Then anything with vimes from the fifth elephant onwards...

sourcery
Interesting times the last continent

and night watch and thief of time are pretty good too.

my favourite would ahve to be mort however, I love death... he is the coolest.

St. Pynchon

'Reaper Man' was one of my first, and I liked it.  Death really is the coolest character around.  Or 'Small Gods', 'Lords & Ladies', 'Mort'...shit, just read 'em all.  If you want something non-Discworld, try Good Omens (w. Neil Gaiman) or Johnny & the Dead.  

None of the Discworld books are specifically dependent on each other (much),  but they all maintain a sort of sequential chronology.  Start in the middle, hop around, they're all good.
MemeCo Buttons

Against the day

Slarti

i just bought three terry pratchett books yesterday (the truth, the fifth elephant, and the thief of time) and i stared reading 'The Truth'
this guy is amazing. if the rest of the books are as good as this one is, i'm gonna have to buy the whole series.

riff

Quote from: Slarti is Deadi just bought three terry pratchett books yesterday (the truth, the fifth elephant, and the thief of time) and i stared reading 'The Truth'
this guy is amazing. if the rest of the books are as good as this one is, i'm gonna have to buy the whole series.

HAH! Got you! Now you're addicted just like meeeeeeee!

Excellent choices btw.  Thief Of Time is my current favorite.  Unlike most authors, Terry Pratchett is actually getting better with the newer books.  Not that they aren't all excellent, but for varying degrees of 'excellent', you understand.

Try "The Hogfather" when you've finished those, that's my second-favorite.
Here's where I've been, and where I probably am: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com.

Rev Thwack

My balls itch...

Malaul

I have Equal Rites if you wanna read it
Ill mail it to you
Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

The Commander

I still want to know why he is so popular in Germany.  You can't acurately translate his stuff.  It has too many word plays and weird english expressions.

The Commander
DIA
The Commander
DIA
Discordian Intelligence Agency

Guido Finucci

Maybe like Asterix, they found really good translators. I'm told that Asterix is possibly even better in English than in French.

Horab Fibslager

Hell is other people.

riff

Quote from: Guido FinucciMaybe like Asterix, they found really good translators. I'm told that Asterix is possibly even better in English than in French.

"These Romans are crazy!"
Here's where I've been, and where I probably am: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com.

Zombie Space Chicken

I thought Small Gods and Interesting Times were two of the funniest books I've ever read.
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you." -Carl Gustav Jung

Trollax

the last hero...
now that was a cool book

Slarti

i just got "The Amazing Maurice" or something like that, and "The Wee Free Men". They were on sale in the science fiction book club.

Slarti

thief of time was supremely robo-bitchin, that was a good book.

especially how Kaos was the first horseman.