News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

Comic Reviews and discussions

Started by Faust, January 09, 2012, 12:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

I've got to the widow club and that was incredibly dark but made a change from the typical groups going after him. That was a really good story.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

BadBeast

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

LMNO

Quote from: Man Yellow on September 22, 2012, 04:48:01 AM
I now have everything Ellis wrote (aside from the Marvel shit, which I despise), except Lazarus Churchyard.

I might still have mine kicking around.  If I can find it, you want me to send it your way?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 26, 2012, 02:09:06 PM
Quote from: Man Yellow on September 22, 2012, 04:48:01 AM
I now have everything Ellis wrote (aside from the Marvel shit, which I despise), except Lazarus Churchyard.

I might still have mine kicking around.  If I can find it, you want me to send it your way?

Very yes.  I have a bag full of shit I'll trade you.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

I'll have to rummage though my bookshelf/attic.  I'll let you know.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 26, 2012, 04:12:43 PM

No hurry.  Tonight I'll PM you with the stack of stuff I'll trade for it.  Morrison, Ennis, a few others.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Faust

So in amongst changing job and so on I managed to find some time to get to read.

The Nightly News is as Roger said Hickman at his finest. The glossy, Monochrome infographical art style of Pax Romana while pretty didn't suit the story content.
Here it is the perfect fit thematically acting as a brilliant world building tool that raises the tension and engages the reader with the horrible media controlled world.
The character art is loose abstract and at odds with its surroundings as are the terrorists/agents of change portrayed within. All the media creeps are more tightly drawn and defined making them somehow more real and easier to resent.
I don't want to comment on the story too much in case people are going to read it but it was really engaging, I wanted to know more and ended up reading the whole thing in one sitting.

During the week I was reading the follow on  (auto)biography by Alison Bechdel called Are you my mother? While Fun Home was about her Father, his suicide and about her early days of coming out Are you my mother? takes on the more elusive and daunting task of writing a book about her mother.
Along the way we get a lot of insight into the authors frame of mind when writing the first book, her mothers reactions to it and the relatively more complex and undefinable character that is her mother who comes across as very funny but very distant. Her mother is still alive so the book spans the authors entire life to date and is both tragic and humorous in equal doses. 
There's a lot of themes dealt with from the authors LGBT relationships, to her analysis and unique ways of looking at things to trying to define a character that is very hard to describe directly, like trying to describe a ship by the ripples it leaves in it's wake.
The art is great, it uses minimal colour and the line work is simple but the perspective and choice of what is shown is very cleverly thought out.
My only complaint is I felt like a voyeur reading it, it is a very personal book sharing a lot of things that must have been daunting to put out there to the public.

The Good Reverend Roger

Now check out The Manhattan Projects.

The Good Reverend Roger

Just so you know, I have gathered together a stack of shit that I will trade for that.

Faust

Quote from: Mitt Romney's Favorite Wife on November 12, 2012, 01:51:49 PM
I read the first issue when it came out. I am going to wait for it to end, I prefer reading series when they are done.

LMNO

Quote from: Mitt Romney's Favorite Wife on November 12, 2012, 01:52:21 PM

Just so you know, I have gathered together a stack of shit that I will trade for that.

I have come to the conclusion that my attic is a potential fire hazard.  I'll keep looking.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on November 12, 2012, 02:25:51 PM
I read the first issue when it came out. I am going to wait for it to end, I prefer reading series when they are done.

You may be waiting a while.  TMP is an open-ended series.  He's not going to run it forever, but he isn't sure when it's going to end.

Faust

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 12, 2012, 03:32:54 PM
Quote from: Faust on November 12, 2012, 02:25:51 PM

You may be waiting a while.  TMP is an open-ended series.  He's not going to run it forever, but he isn't sure when it's going to end.
I'm willing to wait. He is starting the avengers for marvel as well and though I loved the fantastic four, I don't intend to read it until he is done.

LMNO

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 12, 2012, 03:30:10 PM

I have come to the conclusion that my attic is a potential fire hazard.  I'll keep looking.

Can't find it. It must have been donated during the last Unholy Purge.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 10, 2012, 10:03:26 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 12, 2012, 03:30:10 PM

Can't find it. It must have been donated during the last Unholy Purge.

:sad:

I can't find that fucker anywhere.