News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Calling it now: Dems snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in 2016.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 04, 2015, 12:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: MMIX on October 10, 2016, 12:00:55 AM
Tell you what. Lets go back to the real quote in its proper context shall we?

The corollary is not particularly relevant. This move is characteristic of neoliberalism. No one can conceive of a means to repair capitalism so the solution is to find a cheaper labor market. Open borders will only facilitate migrant workers and corporations to accomplish this more easily.

MMIX

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on October 10, 2016, 08:59:11 AM
The corollary is not particularly relevant.

If you don't care what was actually said and then choose to ignore the context in which it was said then actual communication becomes impossible. Just a thought.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: MMIX on October 10, 2016, 10:03:16 AM
Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on October 10, 2016, 08:59:11 AM
The corollary is not particularly relevant.

If you don't care what was actually said and then choose to ignore the context in which it was said then actual communication becomes impossible. Just a thought.

It's not a matter of deciding to ignore this or that aspect of Hillary's message. What would have been a parenthetical aside was rightly cherrypicked because, as a clause in its own right, it points to fundamental principles. Beyond the partisan.

MMIX

So just clarify something for me please, I'm European and our grasp of politics and, especially party politics, is very alien to yours, are you saying that because you seem to be categorising Hillary Clinton as a neoliberal you read everything she says through that lens?  Please feel free to correct me if I am misinterpreting you, I'm not trying to be antagonistic but I am genuinely not following your argument.

I've just watched yesterdays debate and I have Sky news [kind of a Fox affiliate ish] chattering in the background and they are discussing how genuinely far to the left Hillary is. I am pretty sure that from an American POV I am considerably to the left of that and I am not getting a neoliberal vibe from any of the leaked material.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

MithridatesXXIII

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoliberalism

Neoliberalism is the term for the current age of economics. It's not meant as a left/right political thing.

The Good Reverend Roger

You didn't answer the question, you instead explained to her what neoliberalism is, as if she didn't know.

Poor form.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

MMIX

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on October 10, 2016, 02:23:29 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoliberalism

Neoliberalism is the term for the current age of economics. It's not meant as a left/right political thing.

No, that's not right. "Neoliberalism" has a very specific meaning and it is very much a right wing position. Read the piece that you link to if you don't believe me:-

"Neoliberalism (neo-liberalism)[1] refers primarily to the 20th century resurgence of 19th century ideas associated with laissez-faire economic liberalism.[2]:7 These include extensive economic liberalization policies such as privatization, fiscal austerity, deregulation, free trade, and reductions in government spending in order to enhance the role of the private sector in the economy". So Neoliberalism is very much a left / right political thing, ie it is Right Wing Thing, and I'm trying really hard to fit Hillary Clinton into that political stance.

MithridatesXXIII

I think the nuance should be maintained that it is an economic framework that is its own thing, and which is something that Republicans have adopted or espouse. Not that it is a Republican principle. That nuance allows for people to make claims in economic terms, such that we "need" a cheaper labor market, regardless of whether  politically this or that candidate is immigrant friendly, a fact in contradiction to currently promoted economic necessity. A meta-level or more foundational one perhaps. As you can see it gets hairy. As to whether Hillary is a neoliberal or whether she subscribes to neoliberalism, that question illustrates why it is necessary to divorce the terms. If the drifting of the Overton Window is worth considering then yes, I suppose many people would consider her Republican, but that's kind of beside the point I was trying to establish and not really something worth discussing.

Edit: *Currently promoted Republican ideology. Who if were staunch subscribers to neoliberalism would be all about immigration.

In this way, the demands of both parties contribute to the dictates of neoliberal economics

Trivial

AAAH Shit a friend of mine either caught the oldness or he's a Bernie Bro because he's complaining about how Trump has listed Supreme Court nominees and Clinton hasn't and then her email server and  :argh!:

He has never been a Republican.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Cain

Isn't Congress still blocking the appointment of the currently vacant Supreme Court seat?

Trivial

Quote from: Cain on October 11, 2016, 02:59:07 AM
Isn't Congress still blocking the appointment of the currently vacant Supreme Court seat?

Yeah, despite the guy on the Glen Beck comments section saying the GOP has never stood up to the president.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Cain

Oops

http://europe.newsweek.com/vladimir-putin-sidney-blumenthal-hillary-clinton-donald-trump-benghazi-sputnik-508635?rm=eu

QuoteThis false story was only reported by the Russian controlled agency (a reference appeared in a Turkish publication, but it was nothing but a link to the Sputnik article). So how did Donald Trump end up advancing the same falsehood put out by Putin's mouthpiece?

At a rally in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania, Trump spoke while holding a document in his hand. He told the assembled crowd that it was an email from Blumenthal, whom he called "sleazy Sidney."

"This just came out a little while ago,'' Trump said. "I have to tell you this." And then he read the words from my article. 

"He's now admitting they could have done something about Benghazi,'' Trump said, dropping the document to the floor. "This just came out a little while ago."

The crowd booed and chanted, "Lock her up!"

This is not funny. It is terrifying. The Russians engage in a sloppy disinformation effort and, before the day is out, the Republican nominee for president is standing on a stage reciting the manufactured story as truth. How did this happen? Who in the Trump campaign was feeding him falsehoods straight from the Kremlin? (The Trump campaign did not respond to a request for comment).

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on October 11, 2016, 02:27:54 AM
AAAH Shit a friend of mine either caught the oldness or he's a Bernie Bro because he's complaining about how Trump has listed Supreme Court nominees and Clinton hasn't and then her email server and  :argh!:

He has never been a Republican.

Again, this election is bringing out the best in everyone.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

In fairness I must say that there is a part of me that likes dark humor and a part of me that likes mean-spirited practical jokes and both of these parts are urging me to vote for trump (though I won't because of my instinct for self-preservation is stronger). I think that's where a lot of his support may come from. Electing Donald Trump would make starting the Trojan War seem like chickenfeed.

On a different note, does anyone else think that the Republican propaganda actually does more to make Hillary look good than to make her look bad? It's hard to believe that her track record could be so clean that a single instance of negligence four years ago and one instance of standard politician shiftiness are apparently the only things they can find to attack her on.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago