OPEN BAR: Top 10 things millenials hate about OB that we didn't know last week!

Started by Doktor Howl, April 23, 2015, 04:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Bleh.  Security meeting rescheduled.

Could be because they're going to brush me off, could be because the summer school is a fucking mess and we've got under 18s, people who are meant to arrive in September and people who should've already left still here.

We shall wait and see.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Demolition Squid on July 14, 2015, 12:46:11 PM
So at 11pm last night I got an email from my boss saying he wanted me to 'dig around and put together some research' on the business cases/implementation plans of digital strategy for councils. That actually sounds like the first fun project I've had to do in a while, so I shoot back asking for more details - what with there being hundreds of councils and almost all of them having some form of digital offering, and no timeframe given.

He says he wants it ASAP and he wants me to start with the 'good' ones. Okey doke. Not... the most helpful response but whatever. I haven't had something to sink my teeth into for weeks, other than the incredibly depressing world of social care. I go to bed, and when I kick off in the morning I hit it like a ton of bricks.

Four and a half hours and I think I've produced the best report for them I ever have. It lays out five major projects, what they're doing, why they're doing it, who to contact for more information. I even made sure to pick five ones that were 'good' for different reasons - here's one with really great social media feedback! Here's one that started from a low point and went to a high point! I'm feeling really great about this, huzzah!

I send it off. 3 minutes later I get an email - 'I just wanted the documents please'.

And now I'm back on Reed.  :lulz:

Mediocre bosses hate being upstaged by employees that are smarter and more competent than they are. This is your signal that you are way way overqualified for your job.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: N E T on July 14, 2015, 09:56:42 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 13, 2015, 10:14:57 PM
Quote from: N E T on July 12, 2015, 11:36:06 PM
Didn't make it into the internship. :( They had us writing code for a week in a classroom with our fellow candidates.

But that's okay, that was some fierce competition and I made some friends. I'm just going to make them regret passing me over by writing some killer code and getting hired on at another company.

I need a montage.

Aw! Bummer. :( YOU WILL OVERCOME.

Thanks. :)

Tonight I met a Bay Area tech recruiter who seemed unreasonably interested in my fledgling programming skills and I got hired to help teach robotics to middle and high school kids, so things are looking up!

Awesome!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Demolition Squid on July 13, 2015, 04:06:06 PM
I am growing increasingly pissed off with my dumbass bosses, but that's the new normal, really.

Other news: Games Workshop are recruiting for two fiction writers to join their in-house team. I'mma go for it. You never know, I might get it, and then I'd get to write about SPESS MAHRENS all day instead of ... whatever the fuck it is I'm supposed to be doing for a living, I've forgotten.

If you'd like I'd really enjoy kicking around some of their major themes and plot elements with you. I am most fascinated with the idea of what happens if the golden throne finally stops functioning and the astronomican goes out. It's drawing the Tyranids to our galaxy like.. well, flies to shit. It was never intended to be his tomb, but a portal to begin conquering and repairing the Eldar webways so as to avoid the Chaos in the warp.

What if the Emperor always knew they'd come?
What if he had a backup plan in case he was betrayed?
What if the light from Holy Terra going out had always been the signal?
For what?

Perhaps for the true son of the Emperor to be released from his natal stasis, deep within the most secret and secure location in the galaxy. Maybe.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This teaching thing is kinda bullshit. Three kids this week. THREE. And one of the girls I'm working with is intolerable.

Doktor Howl

Just got an offer from the company for which I've been doing some consulting.

The pay is good, the company is dildos.

Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Reginald Ret on July 14, 2015, 07:45:55 AM
Pfah! kids these days. I learned English from watching BBC cartoons and that was good wholesome education, this vidyagamestuff will just rot their minds!

I learned from Hooked on Phonics, and ended up being able to read before kindergarten.  And had a 12th grade reading comprehension in 2nd grade. 

Wish I could find that shit.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 14, 2015, 11:40:47 PM

Take it, and then leave when something better comes along.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 15, 2015, 02:28:36 AM

Seconded, both as strategic advice and because I sense "company is dildos" may be amusing to see expanded upon.

Clearly the shit hit the fan enough to finally end your previous employment relationship. Hope they never get the sewer quite fixed. Think such shenanigans was the last I'd heard of it.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 15, 2015, 02:28:36 AM

Yeah, I think so.

Wouldn't be the first time I've whored myself out to evil bastards.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Having me a pretty good morning. Found good parking spot, which is like finding a dollar on the ground for a 2nd shifter. Joking and chatting with my shiftmates. We often come in up to a half hour early to chat, slurp coffee, and maybe eat breakfast in the break room. The calm is nice. Helps me brace for the sometimes near literal shitstorm that is the lot of the laundryman.

If I ever have children the bio hazardous bits of rearing will be a non-issue.
Mmm... morning shit puns. For you PD!

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I got an email from my lab! I start training on the cryoslicer on Sunday!

Freeky

Cain

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on July 16, 2015, 01:31:25 AM
Have fun slicing with cryos.

:lulz:

I will be slicing frozen snake brains micrometers thin for fixing to slides.

I AM SO EXCITED.