News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

The Dril thread

Started by Cramulus, October 03, 2013, 05:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Dril (also known as wint) is the most hilarious account on twitter.

https://twitter.com/dril

Cramulus

Cramulus

It's like joke haiku. There are like three jokes in every post.

LMNO

This went from "amusing" to "awesome" pretty damn fast.

Cramulus

The Good Reverend Roger

This guy is better than Warren Ellis.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cramulus

Cramulus

Sir Squid Diddimus

Cramulus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

minuspace

Wow, that was genuinely this  :cheney: close to making me want to re-activate my twitter account :lulz:

East Coast Hustle

Maybe it's because I've never used twitter, but I don't get it.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cramulus

Not sure that I can explain it (and explaining a joke is never funny anyway)

but it's like ---- you've got the 140 character limit on twitter. And so if you're using it as a joke medium, you have to boil the joke down into its barest most haiku-like form.

Another part of the humor is that this guy is constructing a character... he is both dumb and aware that he is dumb. A lot of his jokes riff on the idea that twitter is a marketer's dream - dril is not a comedian, he considers himself a brand manager.

And then there's the art of timing. I used to think that the trick to writing a short joke was that you have quickly lead the audience one way, then surprise them. Gotta make every word count. Dril does that effortlessly, a lot of the humor is more juxtaposition than timing. And then some of the joke's timing comes from trying to visualize how all these little bits come together.

Take these, for example:

Visualize this happening - this jack nicholas character is buying ear infection medication (ew), and he's bragging that he knows a model. An avuncular model with an ear infection, which undermines his attempt to impress you.

Or the with the second one: self delusion + crime + awareness of just how shitty his car is. WTF is he accomplishing? what did the hallmark gift shop do to him? And his own awareness of how shitty his bronco is. And that we associate the shitty bronco with OJ escaping the cops. It's like three of four jokes all crammed into 140chars.

Not for everybody! But this guy cracks me up regularly.

He's the inspiration for my (admittedly awful) twitter accounts:
https://twitter.com/Cramulus_KSC
https://twitter.com/LarpTips

gotta start somewhere I guess

Eater of Clowns

I think it's brilliantly done.

The candles one had me giggling like a lunatic.   :lulz:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.