News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Khara on March 04, 2011, 06:10:49 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 06:09:04 PM
Quote from: Khara on March 04, 2011, 06:06:32 PM

Damn, who is he calling a douchbag?

Me, judging from the rest of the post.  

Apparently, stating that there is more than one acceptable viewpoint makes you a douchebag.  And if he's gonna CALL me a douchebag for that reason, I guess I may as well BE a douchebag, right?

I think that is, in fact, your given right....  

Not according to Rat.  According to him, I should break into song upon being called a douchebag.   :lulz:

Anyway, I'm done with it.  Rat's opinion on any given subject matter is now of slightly less value to me than that of, say, Pat Robertson or Jimmy Swaggart.

TGRR,
No time for being told what I "really meant" or what I am required to believe.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on March 04, 2011, 06:12:19 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 05:45:28 PM
Quote from: Faust on March 04, 2011, 05:44:00 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 05:39:42 PM
Quote from: Faust on March 04, 2011, 05:35:56 PM
That being said there is the other side of it, in the past I've seen negativity used because its easy or self feeding, it becomes a meme and we should be careful to call negativity for negativity sake bullshit just as quickly.

Okay.  Define "negativity", then.
I don't define negativity as an unrealistic pessimistic view based on very little information. As you said one mans negativity is anthers realism, that is where i would tow the line, pessimism without cause or fact  = negativity in my view

So we should call people out for not having optimism as their default attitude?

Am I reading you correctly?  <--- Serious question.
No, but those who have pessimism as their default, to the point of an all pervading gloom, perhaps.

Can you give me an example?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Faust

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 06:13:56 PM
That being said there is the other side of it, in the past I've seen negativity used because its easy or self feeding, it becomes a meme and we should be careful to call negativity for negativity sake bullshit just as quickly.

Okay.  Define "negativity", then.
I don't define negativity as an unrealistic pessimistic view based on very little information. As you said one mans negativity is anthers realism, that is where i would tow the line, pessimism without cause or fact  = negativity in my view

No, but those who have pessimism as their default, to the point of an all pervading gloom, perhaps.

Well I suppose the worst case example I can think of I've seen is in Or kill me, where someone puts a lot of effort into their piece and then it gets a one liner dismissal to the effect of "no that's not right", generally in a meaner tone. I've even seen it done in response to some of your rants in the past.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Apparently, stating that there is more than one acceptable viewpoint makes you a douchebag.  And if he's gonna CALL me a douchebag for that reason, I guess I may as well BE a douchebag, right?

How do you possibly do that with any sort of honesty?

I don't give a flying fuck how many viewpoints people have. I'm all for you being pessimistic and playing with bones if its what you want to do. However, YOU just shat all over someone for having a different viewpoint than you. THAT IS THE FUCKING HYPOCRISY I AM TALKING ABOUT.

"But, but my view is valid... THEIR VIEW IS SHITTY AND THEY ARE LIKE ELDORA and PAT ROBERTSON... because they can't accept my acceptable viewpoint..."

Sauce for the goose... Rev Gander.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on March 04, 2011, 06:19:43 PM

Okay.  Define "

negativity", then.

Well I suppose the worst case example I can think of I've seen is in Or kill me, where someone puts a lot of effort into their piece and then it gets a one liner dismissal to the effect of "no that's not right", generally in a meaner tone. I've even seen it done in response to some of your rants in the past.

That sounds more like "being a prick" or - depending on the circumstances - "swinging a barstool".

I thought we were talking about pessimism.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 06:13:38 PM
Quote from: Khara on March 04, 2011, 06:10:49 PM

I think that is, in fact, your given right....  

Not according to Rat.  According to him, I should break into song upon being called a douchebag.   :lulz:

Anyway, I'm done with it.  Rat's opinion on any given subject matter is now of slightly less value to me than that of, say, Pat Robertson or Jimmy Swaggart.

TGRR,
No time for being told what I "really meant" or what I am required to believe.

Well I admit I'm glad you've chosen not to break into song.  My virgin ears and all that...  :wink:

Oh Jimmy Swaggart, I think he never got over the fact that the world loved his pedophilia-incestual tendencied cousin more than him.  That's a big burr to carry up one's ass for a few decades yanno?

Faust

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 06:21:28 PM
Quote from: Faust on March 04, 2011, 06:19:43 PM

Okay.  Define "

negativity", then.

That sounds more like "being a prick" or - depending on the circumstances - "swinging a barstool".

I thought we were talking about pessimism.
I consider that pessimism. Writing off any possibility without basis, the same goes for any hypothetical and can be carried across the board. I'm not talking about hostility here, other people have problems with that.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on March 04, 2011, 06:21:18 PM

Easy.  I made a statement that Cram's viewpoint and the more pessimistic sort of viewpoint are equally valid.

You shat on that idea, or at least spattered it with shit while trying to shit on me, by deciding "what I really meant".

You are intellectually dishonest to the point of hilarity.

Your posts will in the future be read only for the unintentional humor value, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Cramulus

Quote from: Sigmatic on March 04, 2011, 05:51:12 PM
Well, a lot of people do get sick of it.  There haven't been as many ridiculously long flounces as of late, but I attribute that to mere addiction.

there actually have been a lot of silent flounces, or just decreased posting

I've talked to a lot of people over the last few months who feel like this place's vibe is not conclusive to the kinds of discussions/community they want to participate in. I am going to get myself in trouble for naming names, but off the top of my head - eve, burns, fred, badge, kel, enki, rumckle, net, cainad, captain fruitopia, ratatosk... definitely more.. All of them have mentioned to me how the negativity and shitting on others discourages them from posting. Or how they got frustrated that a potentially interesting thread was reduced to telling people why they're wrong or stupid. I also don't feel like it's something I can do anything about, talking about it tends to make people defensive, and frankly I'm already sorry for bringing it up.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Khara on March 04, 2011, 06:22:44 PM
Oh Jimmy Swaggart, I think he never got over the fact that the world loved his pedophilia-incestual tendencied cousin more than him.  That's a big burr to carry up one's ass for a few decades yanno?

Not what I was talking about.  I was referring to the insistance that only his view is valid, not Jimmy's other issues.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on March 04, 2011, 06:26:31 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on March 04, 2011, 05:51:12 PM
Well, a lot of people do get sick of it.  There haven't been as many ridiculously long flounces as of late, but I attribute that to mere addiction.

there actually have been a lot of silent flounces, or just decreased posting

I've talked to a lot of people over the last few months who feel like this place's vibe is not conclusive to the kinds of discussions/community they want to participate in. I am going to get myself in trouble for naming names, but off the top of my head - eve, burns, fred, badge, kel, enki, rumckle, net, cainad, captain fruitopia, ratatosk... definitely more.. All of them have mentioned to me how the negativity and shitting on others discourages them from posting. Or how they got frustrated that a potentially interesting thread was reduced to telling people why they're wrong or stupid. I also don't feel like it's something I can do anything about, talking about it tends to make people defensive, and frankly I'm already sorry for bringing it up.

Oh, well then.  I hate to think I drove Enki away.

Later.

Cramulus

well I know you don't like him, but I've grown quite fond of the spag.

ETA: I am not accusing any one person of driving people away, it's the board's tone

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 06:25:39 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on March 04, 2011, 06:21:18 PM

Easy.  I made a statement that Cram's viewpoint and the more pessimistic sort of viewpoint are equally valid.

You shat on that idea, or at least spattered it with shit while trying to shit on me, by deciding "what I really meant".

You are intellectually dishonest to the point of hilarity.

Your posts will in the future be read only for the unintentional humor value, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Intellectual dishonesty?! FROM YOU? You stupid self centered jerk... I don't GIVE A GODDAMNED SHIT if you and Cram disagree on valid viewpoints. I AM FUCKING TIRED of people claiming "I have a right to my viewpoint',  not three pages after shitting all over someone else viewpoint.

let's start here: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=18194.msg1013538#msg1013538

and read down a bit, then guess at what 'hypocrisy' I was talking about.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on March 04, 2011, 06:30:29 PM
well I know you don't like him, but I've grown quite fond of the spag.

Okay.  Tell him to come back.  Tell Discordian Kitten to come back (ho ho!).

I won't be in the way.

You're going to need to find a new bad guy to blame, though.

TGRR,
Utterly sick of being your Goddamn scapegoat.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on March 04, 2011, 06:31:06 PM
Intellectual dishonesty?! FROM YOU? You stupid self centered jerk... I don't GIVE A GODDAMNED SHIT if you and Cram disagree on valid viewpoints. I AM FUCKING TIRED of people claiming "I have a right to my viewpoint',  not three pages after shitting all over someone else viewpoint.

Enjoy having Discordian Kitten around.  Check her out at MW.