News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

My last day at work. (fiction)

Started by deet, April 17, 2006, 10:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deet

It's almost 3AM... I'm not able to sleep... I'm never able to sleep... She always comes, in my dreams. The blond woman, with penetrating blue eyes.
She stares... Just sits there, in my dreams, and stares.

She spoke to me one time... She said, "You have embarked on a seven-day commitment. Always run, until you are safe." She did not explain... Since that day, I have not been able to sleep.

I must run, must run. I must run, until I am safe... She said she would protect me, from my dreams. She is like eternity resting on a feather. Always there, never there. I think she must be Eris' sister...
--

It's almost 3AM, I must be sleeping... It's so late, I'm so tired... Who's driving this boat? Am I the captain of this ship? Where is it going? Spinning... It's just spinning... Someone unfurl the sails! We must catch the wind before it is gone... Towards the walled city, that is the direction we must go, before it is too late... They said the city would flood, but this ship can withstand any deluge...
--

I know I am awake.. It has to be real, it has to be. I am awake. I am alive... My dreams cannot rule my life, my dreams cannot rule me. I am free, she told me so. Live as you are, and you will be free. They are telling me no lies, they are telling me no truths.
--

What's that noise? The buzzing, the relentless call of the waking world. I knew I was dreaming... My alarm clock... It's 3AM?! It can't be the middle of the night... I see the sun, brighter than it was before. It's 3PM? It has to be the middle of the afternoon... Did I just sleep twelve hours? A minute ago, it was 3AM and I was sailing a boat... Maybe I'll just let it go, I'm awake, only an hour late for work, and I think that I'm sane. I'm normal, I'll just keep telling myself that... They'll believe me, I'll prove to them I'm normal... Just keep going... Only have to wear the same clothes, say the same words... They'll think I'm normal...
--

3AM? What... the... fuck? Last time I looked at that clock, it was 3PM... Who's messing with my clock? It's Eris. I know she's messing with my clock, my head, my life, and even my dog. I don't want to know what Eris did with my dog. He hasn't been the same since I fed him a sheet of acid... I thought Eris would like my dog, but I guess Eris doesn't like dogs on acid... At least my neighbour's dog looks like mine, I'll switch them and my dog will be normal again. Do I still have a dog? Is that a dog? Those were some kick-ass pills, I swear that I'll never tell anyone where I got them from... I wish I could remember where I got them from...
--

Shit.. It actually is 3PM... Shit, I'm standing next to the watercooler... What the fuck? Wasn't I just sailing a boat near a walled city? Who's talking? Is that my boss? I better not answer, I don't know if I'm hearing voices... I think someone is telling me to fix the wall... What wall? Did I crash my boat into a wall? Do I have a boat? Is my dog on the boat?

Man, I gotta lay off the drugs. My boss is talking to me... The only words I understood were "fired," "clean," and "desk."

Am I supposed to light my desk on fire and clean the mess? Shit, I should go home and sleep... I'll be ok, I'll come back to work tomorrow and clean these ashes up... Nobody will mind, I'll just wear the same clothes, have the same conversations... Nobody will notice... no-one will notice... I hope no-one will notice...
All walls have two sides.