News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 28, 2014, 12:10:04 PM
Yeah, I saw that post too.  I think I blocked them.

I'm seriously mostly on there for more shirtless pics of Randall Teach.

That guy is seriously insanely hot.

Also, Wolf Weather. Holy shit.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on August 28, 2014, 02:30:30 PM
Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2014, 01:24:53 PM
ACLU kinda deserved to be fucked with, given how they've been acting lately.

I probably missed something, but I seem to remember the ACLU as always being a bit iffy, to put it kindly.

That's how people are conditioned to think here, anyway.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

I probably missed something, but I seem to remember the ACLU as always being a bit iffy, to put it kindly.

If they're not pissing somebody off, they're not doing their job. I'm not aware of them doing anything overtly contrary to their mission recently. But I probably missed something.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Cain

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on August 28, 2014, 03:44:41 PM

If they're not pissing somebody off, they're not doing their job. I'm not aware of them doing anything overtly contrary to their mission recently. But I probably missed something.

People in the organisation have been saying it has lost its way for a while now.

QuoteRecently, the ACLU board again considered censoring its members, weighing new rules that would prohibit them from publicly criticizing the ACLU. This startling proposal was the culmination of a bitter internal battle over the organization's integrity and fidelity to principle that has spilled out into the press. According to ACLU leaders, some board members were abusing their right to speak.

Which is kinda funny, but the rest of it is significantly less so:

QuoteBut this embarrassing episode is part of a pattern. In the last two years, under the leadership of Executive Director Anthony Romero and President Nadine Strossen, the ACLU has repeatedly been caught practicing the opposite of what it preaches.

In July 2004, the board learned that Romero had quietly agreed to screen the organization's employees against terrorist "watch lists" -- the same lists the ACLU has condemned -- in order to qualify as an officially approved charity for federal employees. Strossen characterized Romero's action as "clever," but it was quickly rescinded when it was reported by the New York Times.

This report was followed by Romero's admission that early in his tenure at the ACLU, he had privately advised the Ford Foundation to "parrot" the Patriot Act in formulating controversial new restrictions on the speech of its grantees -- restrictions Romero then quietly accepted on the ACLU's behalf as well. (Strossen supported Romero's action, which was initially approved by the board but subsequently narrowly rejected.)

More recently, Romero was caught trying to impose a very broad confidentiality agreement and technology rules on ACLU employees, similar to workplace rules that the ACLU officially opposes. Like the proposal governing board members' rights to speak, the agreements nearly imposed on the staff (but withdrawn after they became public,) included a virtual gag rule; they also would have required the staff to acknowledge that all their communications on ACLU systems were subject to surveillance. Strossen defended these proposals, bizarrely noting her "presumption" that they "facilitate the ACLU's commitment to both privacy and free speech."

Suu

In other bullshit cease and desist news: Apparently a handful of Bostonian yuppies who decided to move out to the "country" (Fact: Portsmouth is NOT the country) are complaining about all the gosh darn "noise" downtown because Portsmouth is actually a city with festivals and movies in the park and such. So the arts festival actually listened to them and cancelled the movie double feature for tonight. They're even complaining about a musical being put on every night in the park downtown. THE SAME PEOPLE ARE CALLING EVERY FUCKING NIGHT to the point the cops are pissed. Because nothing is actually happening that is breaking the law, and all events end before 11pm. The locals are now in a total uproar and have started a counteroffensive called Keep Portsmouth Loud and selling obnoxious hot green and pink T-shirts with that saying on it. I need to give them my money, because I was looking forward to hitting a movie in the park night once the husband's training is over.

Seriously, you move to a seaside tourist destination city to get away from the big city in hopes of quiet? Morons.

Hey Portland, can we borrow your unicycle Darth Vader with the bag pipes?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: The Suu on August 28, 2014, 03:51:25 PM
Seriously, you move to a seaside tourist destination city to get away from the big city in hopes of quiet? Morons.

Most definitely. You can even have a marching band or two. We've got plenty to spare.

I hate that shit so much. Back home, college town, the neighborhoods surrounding the school are always filled with people raising hell about the students. Move into an area that's like 80% kids between the ages of 18-24 and then complain because of loud keggers. Fort Collins is a fairly spread out city. People move to the campus areas to be close to all the restaurants, bars, and such, and then bitch to high heaven that all those things don't close at 7.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

trippinprincezz13

In other bullshit cease and desist news: Apparently a handful of Bostonian yuppies who decided to move out to the "country" (Fact: Portsmouth is NOT the country) are complaining about all the gosh darn "noise" downtown because Portsmouth is actually a city with festivals and movies in the park and such. So the arts festival actually listened to them and cancelled the movie double feature for tonight. They're even complaining about a musical being put on every night in the park downtown. THE SAME PEOPLE ARE CALLING EVERY FUCKING NIGHT to the point the cops are pissed. Because nothing is actually happening that is breaking the law, and all events end before 11pm. The locals are now in a total uproar and have started a counteroffensive called Keep Portsmouth Loud and selling obnoxious hot green and pink T-shirts with that saying on it. I need to give them my money, because I was looking forward to hitting a movie in the park night once the husband's training is over.

Yea, like a week ago or so, I'd seen the posts that they were throwing the Movie in the Park event and thought it was awesome. This week people are already complaining about it. What a crock of shit. An art-based tourist center and they're going to complain about the arts and tourists. People who always need to be complaining, especially to ruin a good time for everyone else, really are near the top of my list of People I Hate Most. And like my friends in the area said, they're probably the same people up at the crack of dawn mowing their fucking lawns while everyone else is trying to sleep.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Suu

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on August 28, 2014, 04:08:55 PM

Yea, like a week ago or so, I'd seen the posts that they were throwing the Movie in the Park event and thought it was awesome. This week people are already complaining about it. What a crock of shit. An art-based tourist center and they're going to complain about the arts and tourists. People who always need to be complaining, especially to ruin a good time for everyone else, really are near the top of my list of People I Hate Most. And like my friends in the area said, they're probably the same people up at the crack of dawn mowing their fucking lawns while everyone else is trying to sleep.

It's the same 4 people. Over and over again. I have no idea why the festival is listening to them, because the cops already told them that they need to suck it up. Something tells me that these are also the same people who hate the idea of Portsmouth being a *gasp* working port where tankers come in and ship things, and that the Naval Shipyard is an eyesore.  :roll:

This is what happens when your rich Bostonian parents leave you a fucking trust fund, you go to Harvard, you never work a day in your life and you decide to be "hip" by buying an old Victorian for millions in downtown Portsmouth so you don't have to pay Massachusetts taxes on your independent wealth while getting socked for New Hampshire property tax. However, since you never worked a day in your sheltered life, you don't understand that other places don't just thrive on being a pretty tourist destination. If the port and shipyard were to close to meet every rich shitfuck's expectation of their New Hampshire tax dodging paradise, Portsmouth would die. Not to mention, the shipyard is in Maine. What are they going to do? Write letters to another fucking state? PEOPLE ACTUALLY FUCKING WORK FOR A LIVING IN THIS AREA, AND IT'S NOT JUST AT KITSCHY STORES AND RESTAURANTS, GODDAMNIT.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

In PTown, a couple bought a house overlooking the beach, just off Commercial St, then complained to the local council about the noise.

Keep in mind that Commercial St is the ONLY strip in town, filled with bars, clubs, Restaraunts, and more UNTZ UNTZ than you can handle sober.

They were laughed out of the room.

LMNO

Also, today must be link day, because this is awesome:

Unexpectedly nude photography. SFW.

http://jezebel.com/these-are-the-strangest-nude-photos-youve-ever-seen-1627338799

This is so wonderful.

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Suu

20 textbooks between 3 classes. No Kindle editions available.  :kingmeh:

minuspace

Quote from: The Suu on August 28, 2014, 04:28:18 PM
Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on August 28, 2014, 04:08:55 PM

It's the same 4 people. Over and over again. I have no idea why the festival is listening to them, because the cops already told them that they need to suck it up. Something tells me that these are also the same people who hate the idea of Portsmouth being a *gasp* working port where tankers come in and ship things, and that the Naval Shipyard is an eyesore.  :roll:

This is what happens when your rich Bostonian parents leave you a fucking trust fund, you go to Harvard, you never work a day in your life and you decide to be "hip" by buying an old Victorian for millions in downtown Portsmouth so you don't have to pay Massachusetts taxes on your independent wealth while getting socked for New Hampshire property tax. However, since you never worked a day in your sheltered life, you don't understand that other places don't just thrive on being a pretty tourist destination. If the port and shipyard were to close to meet every rich shitfuck's expectation of their New Hampshire tax dodging paradise, Portsmouth would die. Not to mention, the shipyard is in Maine. What are they going to do? Write letters to another fucking state? PEOPLE ACTUALLY FUCKING WORK FOR A LIVING IN THIS AREA, AND IT'S NOT JUST AT KITSCHY STORES AND RESTAURANTS, GODDAMNIT.
The problem is how those kids are probably being incubated for later political use.  They are just practicing antics that later will be repeated on a larger scale.  Someone needs to send them "The political economy of noise".

The Good Reverend Roger

I've been spending a lot of time in that glass hallway I mentioned, these days.  Gotta get my grind on, material science is vastly more fun than people tend to be (with a few notable exceptions, such as my wife).  I am also working on purging myself of some personality defects of which I have recently become aware. 

The above reasons are why I am not posting so much, outside of the Waffle/Roger thread.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

I'm not posting simply because I ripped out my thumbnail by mistake, and typing makes me wince.

This is great, since one of my jobs involves a contracted 10 hours a week of typing.