I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Mah furst evur webkomik

Started by Dildo Argentino, November 28, 2012, 10:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dildo Argentino

Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Elder Iptuous

hm... i recommend adding more white space and then shaking it up a bit. that should make the funny more powerful.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 28, 2012, 10:38:22 PM
hm... i recommend adding more white space and then shaking it up a bit. that should make the funny more powerful.

I think I understand the more white space (I considered adding pillows and more of the duvet, in outline only... but drawing with a mouse is atrocious, can you recommend a reliable, useful but not very expensive digitizing tablet?) - but I'm at a loss as to what you mean by shaking up a bit. Can you explain?

Dildo Argentino

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 30, 2012, 02:13:00 PM
Punchline?

I think it's called wry humour.

Not your kind of funny.

Again.

Poor Roger.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 30, 2012, 03:20:33 PM
Quote from: holist on November 30, 2012, 03:17:38 PM
Punchline?

Not your kind of funny.

Again.

Poor Roger.

The execution sucked.

What, the guillotine wasn't sharpened properly? Bug off.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: holist on November 30, 2012, 03:21:24 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 30, 2012, 03:20:33 PM
Quote from: holist on November 30, 2012, 03:17:38 PM
Punchline?

Not your kind of funny.

Again.

Poor Roger.

The execution sucked.

What, the guillotine wasn't sharpened properly? Bug off.

Shoe pinches like a bitch on the other foot, doesn't it?  I am merely giving you the same critique you so kindly gave to Twid.

Your comic sucks.  It's really that simple.  It is to comics what pictures of dogs playing poker are to fine art. 

Sita

Personally don't find this good at all.
Are your comics supposed to be one shots or is there a story involved, because as one shots it sucks horribly.
If there is a story you really need to work on how each page ties together.

First page was roll eye worthy at best. Second page just seemed like you were relaying some uneventful event.

Just the opinion of one avid webcomic reader.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 30, 2012, 03:23:19 PM
Shoe pinches like a bitch on the other foot, doesn't it?  I am merely giving you the same critique you so kindly gave to Twid.

Fair point. But actually, from where I'm standing, you not liking my comics just makes them shine all the brighter.
:lulz:

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 30, 2012, 03:23:19 PM
Your comic sucks.  It's really that simple.  It is to comics what pictures of dogs playing poker are to fine art.

No, it's not that simple. The poor drawing (with a mouse) was intentional, I didn't do it because I couldn't do it differently, but because I liked the effect. The contrast of photographic faces with completely lame black-on-white line drawing is pleasing to my eyes, though I appreciate that to others it may not be appealing. But I would like to mention that I have been invited by an artists' collective to print and frame these two for a collective exhibition on the theme of "WHITE" (http://zoldlampas.blogspot.hu/2012/05/pingpong-klub.html - sorry, it's in Hungarian). I will be able to provide photographic evidence after the opening on the 15th of december.

Also, what I was aiming to produce were sort of "mock-up" webcomics - something graphically dead simple as a vehicle for the little conversations - vignettes, if I may be excused for using a pretentious word, of married life. But, since you are short-sighted and boorish, you fail to look past your nose and choose to "teach me by example", or "feed me a spoonful of my own medicine". Which is fine by me.

:lulz:

EK WAFFLR

yeah, not funny. But then you're hungarian.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Elder Iptuous

ok, you like the simplicity so as to be no more than a vehicle for the conversation. (a la xkcd where it's just stick figures, or dinosaur comics where it's all reuse)   got it.
but the conversations have no evident point from the perspective of the viewer.
so it is one of those jokes where the punchline is the audience, as far as i can see.

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 30, 2012, 04:23:44 PM
ok, you like the simplicity so as to be no more than a vehicle for the conversation. (a la xkcd where it's just stick figures, or dinosaur comics where it's all reuse)   got it.
but the conversations have no evident point from the perspective of the viewer.
so it is one of those jokes where the punchline is the audience, as far as i can see.

Well that's curious. Over here, over a dozen people have found it funny, in roughly the same way. At the risk of explaining it do death, and only because I am interested in why you say what you say, I shall attempt to explain.

But first: where did it say that you needed an evident point in order to be humorous? I thought ambiguity was a major source of humour...

But, anyway: the older story, the 4-picture one is, I thought, really quite xkcd-ey... the brainy, verbose man, the down-to-earth, determined woman... also, the use-mention crossover, when the conversation itself becomes a case in point at the end (I did toy with the idea of adding a fifth picture in which Bruno says "it's three things now", but decided it would be too didactic). For me, it is also a paradigmatic example of how attempts at communication in a busy marriage can go awry through no fault of either party other than, possibly, slight and easily forgiven negligence... which, if left untreated, can lead to awful horrors...

The newer, 3-picture one is less subtle. Just an observation of how unequally object-management skills and duties are often distributed in relationships... and how struggling against it is futile.