News:

TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

From whence cometh catma?

Started by Lord Quantum, January 20, 2010, 04:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Quantum

So yeah, I got bored yesterday and randomly decided that I was gonna write something on catma but I got sidetracked into trying to locate the first appearance of the word (since I didn't see it in the PD). Does anybody know where it started? Just wondering.
Quote from: Cain on March 28, 2010, 09:44:45 PM
Fuck it.  I'm going to get ordained as a Catholic priest and start robbing banks and mugging people.  I mean, apparently, you can be excused any crime if you're in with the Big V.

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 28, 2008, 02:09:45 AM

Lets try it on an even simpler level:

1) There is a minimum energy/mass things can have, everything can be measured in a multiple of this minimum.

2) Objects at this size, or close to it, don't have an exact position or velocity, so they look like waves in most experiments.

3) If you try to measure the location, they act more like particles, just to fuck with you, but the velocity gets more uncertain, also just to fuck with you.

Conclusion: God hates physicists.

GASMs - PosterGASM (Calvinball edition), AbbyGASM

Pirate Pass Off Scorecard (5)

Jasper

Telarus

Yes, Johnny Brainwash and I nailed that down during the last KallistiCon. In Thornley's auto-Biography, "The Dreadlock Recollection", edited by Trevor Blake (SubG and a friend of mine), he defines "Katma" thusly:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=20494.msg695963#msg695963
Quote from: TelarusAh, you tried a word search, eh? In this instance, he spells it "Katma":

p215
QuoteBrunswick, the bowling alley in which Greg and I first disorganized the Discordian Society, is mentioned in the Oracles of Nostradamus, which I only discovered recently. So that is an authentic miracle – especially since it says something about chaos emerging from Brunswick! All bowling alleys are sacred to Discordians – since most of them have Brunswick pin setting equipment. A synchronistic coincidence that proves a dogma like that is called a Katma – a combination of karma and dogma. Actually I'm not a reincarnation of Edgar Cayce, no matter what they say.

I'm a reincarnation of Jean Dixon.

The OP in that thread was about the other Thornley book, the Prankster and the Conspiracy, which is also worth checking out.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I'm pretty sure Telarus is correct in the first usage. RAW uses it but he uses it more as the opposite of Dogma (My Catma ran over your Dogma).

(From an Interview with RAW)
It was Greg Hill and Kerry Thornley who founded the Discordian Society, which is based on the worship of Eris, the Goddess of Chaos, discord, confusion, bureaucracy and international relations. They have no dogmas, but one catma. The catma is that everything in the universe relates to the number 5, one way or another, given enough ingenuity on the part of the interpreter. I found the Discordian Society to be the most satisfactory religion I had ever encountered up until that point, so I became a Discordian Pope. This is done by excommunicating all the Discordian Popes you can find and setting up your own Discordian Church. This is based on Greg's teaching that we Discordians must stick apart.

And from one of his lectures:

Discordians don't have dogmas, which are absolute beliefs; we have catmas which are relative meta-beliefs. And the central discordian catma is, as I said before, any affirmation is true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense. And if you repeat this 666 times, you will achieve supreme enlightenment -- IN SOME SENSE!

But Kerry predates both of those with his 'Katma'.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Lord Quantum

I like the idea of katma as a "coincidence" that proves dogma. I mean, if you can't use circular reason to prove your religious beliefs, why even bother having beliefs at all?
Fuck it.  I'm going to get ordained as a Catholic priest and start robbing banks and mugging people.  I mean, apparently, you can be excused any crime if you're in with the Big V.

1) There is a minimum energy/mass things can have, everything can be measured in a multiple of this minimum.

2) Objects at this size, or close to it, don't have an exact position or velocity, so they look like waves in most experiments.

3) If you try to measure the location, they act more like particles, just to fuck with you, but the velocity gets more uncertain, also just to fuck with you.

The Johnny

Dogma.

Catma.

Happens when oppositional people get into linguistics.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

NotPublished

Some people are dogs, some are cats, and some hate them both. Which one are YOU?
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

BabylonHoruv

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Telarus

Don't make me get out the furry pics....  :argh!:

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 20, 2010, 08:37:11 PM
I'm pretty sure Telarus is correct in the first usage. RAW uses it but he uses it more as the opposite of Dogma (My Catma ran over your Dogma).

(From an Interview with RAW)
It was Greg Hill and Kerry Thornley who founded the Discordian Society, which is based on the worship of Eris, the Goddess of Chaos, discord, confusion, bureaucracy and international relations. They have no dogmas, but one catma. The catma is that everything in the universe relates to the number 5, one way or another, given enough ingenuity on the part of the interpreter. I found the Discordian Society to be the most satisfactory religion I had ever encountered up until that point, so I became a Discordian Pope. This is done by excommunicating all the Discordian Popes you can find and setting up your own Discordian Church. This is based on Greg's teaching that we Discordians must stick apart.

And from one of his lectures:

Discordians don't have dogmas, which are absolute beliefs; we have catmas which are relative meta-beliefs. And the central discordian catma is, as I said before, any affirmation is true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense. And if you repeat this 666 times, you will achieve supreme enlightenment -- IN SOME SENSE!

But Kerry predates both of those with his 'Katma'.

It's the same phenomena. The Law of 5's is a neurolinguistic game-rule that gets constantly bombarded by the coincidences Kerry refers to. It remains a successful catma because of the reinforcement built into the meme. Everything is related, directly or indirectly to the number 5.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Lord Quantum

Everything is directly or indirectly related to anything.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit