News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

BELGIUM

Started by bugmenоt, July 01, 2014, 10:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

They got an MLS team a couple years ago and think that liking soccer makes them WEIRD and OUTLANDISH, as though Soccer wasn't already the #3 sport in America after football and basketball.

No, baseball is not a sport nor does anyone actually care about it.

But nevermind all of that, did you guys SEE how awesome our core young guys are already? Our 2018 WC team is gonna be SICK. Maybe not quite "legit chance at winning the WC" sick, but we could easily be the next Netherlands (aka the Buffalo Bills of soccer).
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

I, for one, welcome our new football overlords.  In fact, I'm going to go see Liverpool vs Roma at Fenway Park in a couple of weeks.

Yes, at Fenway Park.  You may now be jealous of me.

East Coast Hustle

Dude, they're having the centennial Copa America in the US next year, with the US and a few other CONCACAF teams added to the tournament for the special event. That means that next year you might have a chance to see Neymar or Messi or James Rodriquez work their magic live and in person. I'm pretty stoked about it. I can't imagine they won't have at least a couple of matches in Seattle so it seems like a perfect time to go back for a visit.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 03, 2014, 02:20:09 PM
I, for one, welcome our new football overlords.  In fact, I'm going to go see Liverpool vs Roma at Fenway Park in a couple of weeks.

Yes, at Fenway Park.  You may now be jealous of me.

Not if you're seeing Liverpool. No.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on July 04, 2014, 02:30:50 AM
Dude, they're having the centennial Copa America in the US next year, with the US and a few other CONCACAF teams added to the tournament for the special event. That means that next year you might have a chance to see Neymar or Messi or James Rodriquez work their magic live and in person. I'm pretty stoked about it. I can't imagine they won't have at least a couple of matches in Seattle so it seems like a perfect time to go back for a visit.

I kinda got my husband into watching the World Cup with me. He's not a "sports guy" he says, but when I have a game on, he's glued, totally glued. He looked at me during the US/Belgium game and goes, "I thought soccer was supposed to be boring?"

It would be nice to see what comes around the Boston area. I've been to one Rev game since I've lived here, and I left early because I almost got into a bad fight with a bunch of skinheads.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Not to mention, I think that with the popularity of the World Cup this time around, bringing a tournament to the states next year is the best thing for the sport in this country. My bar was INSANE during 2010, this time we had cities shut down for the games, and like ECH said on my page, in 2018 we'll be more than a force to be reckoned with.

Suu

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on July 03, 2014, 02:14:17 PM
They got an MLS team a couple years ago and think that liking soccer makes them WEIRD and OUTLANDISH, as though Soccer wasn't already the #3 sport in America after football and basketball.

No, baseball is not a sport nor does anyone actually care about it.

But nevermind all of that, did you guys SEE how awesome our core young guys are already? Our 2018 WC team is gonna be SICK. Maybe not quite "legit chance at winning the WC" sick, but we could easily be the next Netherlands (aka the Buffalo Bills of soccer).

I seriously doubt ANYONE here thinks that liking soccer is anything other than completely mainstream. Plus the Timbers have been around since the 70's and went major league in like 2011. I think it's just some weird infectious community enthusiasm.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Either way, a whole lot of PDX-heads woh otherwise hate sports sure do love them some soccer.

I've always said that Portland is the most European American city (with no personal experience of Europe AT ALL so I'm totally qualified to make such a statement) and that's one of my pieces of evidence. Also transit, bicycles, worthwhile beer, and a curious predilection for self-deprecation.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on July 06, 2014, 03:52:44 AM
Either way, a whole lot of PDX-heads woh otherwise hate sports sure do love them some soccer.

I've always said that Portland is the most European American city (with no personal experience of Europe AT ALL so I'm totally qualified to make such a statement) and that's one of my pieces of evidence. Also transit, bicycles, worthwhile beer, and a curious predilection for self-deprecation.

My friends Steve and Rachael both say that it's more like a European city than anywhere else in the States they've been. Poor Rachael is moving to Fort Worth this fall.  :horrormirth:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Well, at least it's the best place in Texas.

Which is sort of like being the fittest kid at fat camp, but still.

And before anyone says some shit like "but what about Austin?" allow me to point out that FUCK Austin.

Aucoq

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on July 06, 2014, 04:58:22 AM

And before anyone says some shit like "but what about Austin?" allow me to point out that FUCK Austin.

Y'know, the whole "dress like a Wild West caricature" thing a lot of Texans are obsessed with really rubs me the wrong way, and because Fort Worth is associated with and adored by that type in this area I've only been there once (when I was so young I could barely remember) despite living in DFW.  But if Fort Worth has the ECH Seal of Approval, or as close as somewhere in Texas can get to it, then I'm clearly missing out on something great.  I might have to brave the mid-cities to check it out.
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on July 06, 2014, 04:58:22 AM

Apparently Fort Worth has really great museums. Who knew?