Started by Eater of Clowns, August 11, 2016, 12:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pergamos

Quote from: SuuCal on September 02, 2016, 06:11:23 AM
Quote from: Pergamos on September 02, 2016, 05:29:26 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 01, 2016, 02:41:19 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 31, 2016, 11:42:32 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 31, 2016, 11:17:50 PM
Benadryl is kinda like being drunk only more sleepy and then the mustache twirling bad guy in your dream actually shoots you in the face like he says he's going to and it hurts even though you never feel anything in your dreams and you're a mess of confused and afraid and not sure if you want to hurry up and die or try to hold on even though it's pointless and when you finally wake up you're too fucked up to communicate what just happened to your spouse.

I have never felt an effect from Benadryl.  Knocks my wife right out, but I don't feel a thing when I take it.

In other news, it's raining.  Again.  And I have only one 500,000 gallon storage tank, so I guess I'll just dump another million gallons of water over the side.  Sort of like that scene in Masada.

Call me  Menahem ben Yehuda, freaks!

I am uncomfortable with how much rain you've been getting. Nothing good comes from watering The Desert.

It's monsoon season, it's supposed to do this.  It's how the Tohono O'Odham stayed alive, they developed crops with super short growing seasons that they could grow starting with the monsoons.

You're welcome for our morning humidity that isn't sticking around.

-San Diego, going on less rain than fucking Tucson.

This is what we see when we look east toward the desert:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/92/North_American_Monsoon_20080808_%28wide%29.jpg

Thanks.  I thik we'll keep it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on September 02, 2016, 05:29:26 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 01, 2016, 02:41:19 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 31, 2016, 11:42:32 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 31, 2016, 11:17:50 PM
Benadryl is kinda like being drunk only more sleepy and then the mustache twirling bad guy in your dream actually shoots you in the face like he says he's going to and it hurts even though you never feel anything in your dreams and you're a mess of confused and afraid and not sure if you want to hurry up and die or try to hold on even though it's pointless and when you finally wake up you're too fucked up to communicate what just happened to your spouse.

I have never felt an effect from Benadryl.  Knocks my wife right out, but I don't feel a thing when I take it.

In other news, it's raining.  Again.  And I have only one 500,000 gallon storage tank, so I guess I'll just dump another million gallons of water over the side.  Sort of like that scene in Masada.

Call me  Menahem ben Yehuda, freaks!

I am uncomfortable with how much rain you've been getting. Nothing good comes from watering The Desert.

It's monsoon season, it's supposed to do this.  It's how the Tohono O'Odham stayed alive, they developed crops with super short growing seasons that they could grow starting with the monsoons.

There is monsoon season and then there is this. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Barely survived angry (not at me) embryonic astrophysicists on Thursday night.  More later.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

minuspace

Is there some rule, somewhere, which states that broadcasting how one doesn't cotton well to confrontation automatically turns into a provocation?  They just don't get it:  You clearly don't want to know why some people don't like fighting.

Cain

I just remembered the other reason I don't normally complain at work: follow up meetings.

I have already had 2 meetings, and I'm due to have another 2.

Bruno

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 31, 2016, 10:17:49 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on August 31, 2016, 10:09:08 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 31, 2016, 05:20:10 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on August 31, 2016, 04:56:21 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 30, 2016, 08:24:47 PM
So, reinventing the wheel in our water system.  For once in my damn life, I'm not surrounded by know-it-all chemists that could have solved this on day one.  Instead, I am surrounded by know-it-all physicists who will solve it right into it's fucking grave.  So I ignore them, and dance to their indignant howling, while doing this weird shit called "gathering data and putting it in a readable form" while "reading Army manuals and municipal procedures on how to make potable water that doesn't rip out the pipes."

Odd, I had always thought you needed a low pH to get a low pH effect.  Not so, and I really wish my teachers hadn't lied to me the whole time I was in school.

Oh man, if I had a fiver for each time my "education" proved to be either totally incorrect or inaccurate I'd have about £30K minimum.
It turns out that most education seems to teach very fucking little beyond timekeeping and mandatory attendance.

Well, I got some math out of it.  And I learned how to roll a joint badly.

Serious question... How much trigonometry does an electrical engineer/technologist/technician really use?

Because I did about cot(assload-1) of it back in school, most of which I've forgotten since I haven't used my degree for anything other than as a source of mockery for certain supervisors at my previous job.

I use trig every day.  Not kidding.  I in fact am now using calc every day for our water treatment plant, but for that I cheat and use the computer, because I haven't used calc in 21 years.  I can still set the problems up, but fuck if I remember anything more than the chain rule.

But trig makes a technician's job easy.  Even more so if fabrication is involved.

I guess I need to add re-learning the maths to my to-do list.

I swear, the guys in my night classes don't believe in math, in much the same way one would not believe in Santa Claus or the Easter bunny.  The books seem to expect this, and try not to confuse them with such lofty concepts as square roots.

RMS to peak? "1.4"

Phase to line? "1.73"
Formerly something else...

Suu

Trying to figure out ways to get it through my husband's brain that it's not viable for me to take the bus here like it was in RI. The East Coast infrastructure is far fucking superior to the West Coast when it comes to public transportation. His argument is, "So, you just plan for that extra hour or two. Big deal." Plus the 20 minutes in Southwestern heat to walk to the bus stop at the top of the hill.

YES BIG DEAL. I am NOT taking a bus for an hour and a half when I can drive there in 10 fucking minutes. He has a motorized bike, he made it in order to commute back and forth to work, but alas, it takes a whole hour instead of a half hour! *gasp* AND HE JUST LEGIT CAN'T HANDLE, but you know, I should take the bus to the light rail, which takes an hour,  when the nearest stop is 3 minutes away by car. The bike is also broken. He has the parts to fix it, and has for about a month, but he won't do it, because he's gotten so used to having the car. But you know, now I'm working, and I need it, and he's freaking out.

The only thing I can think of us take the car away and hide it while I'm in South Dakota, and let him fend for himself. I'm sure that bike would get fixed awfully fast.

He should have put the money into the other car, and shipped it here when he had the chance, but nooooooo...It's sitting in the long term lot at the base back east, while he continues to wreck my Subaru by not getting the brakes fixed, and not fixing the soft hose, and not getting oil changes, and then yells at me when I talk about budgeting money to fix it when "he can do it himself." HE WON'T EVEN FIX HIS OWN FUCKING BIKE.

This is getting out of hand, it's not fair to me to have to get up at 5am to take him to work so I can have my damn car.

I have GOT to find a way to get this through his head without resorting to something cruel or drastic, because that's not nice or how marriages work, but he has to experience the inconvenience himself in order to fix the problem. Fucking engineers.  :argh!:

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Hide the keys, say "Nope, plan for that extra half hour or so.  No big deal."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: SuuCal on September 06, 2016, 03:41:28 PM
Trying to figure out ways to get it through my husband's brain that it's not viable for me to take the bus here like it was in RI. The East Coast infrastructure is far fucking superior to the West Coast when it comes to public transportation. His argument is, "So, you just plan for that extra hour or two. Big deal." Plus the 20 minutes in Southwestern heat to walk to the bus stop at the top of the hill.

Southern California is not a representative sample of the West Coast.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Quote from: LMNO on September 06, 2016, 03:52:05 PM

This may be happening this weekend when I'm in South Dakota.

"Yes, I took your car key with me. Well I don't know, I hear there's a bus?"

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 06, 2016, 04:03:38 PM

True, but nothing is as superior as the Northeast Corridor. You know, the part of the country where people come from. The lack of anything other than freeways between San Diego and Los Angeles is fucking unnerving to me, considering the distance between New York and Boston is greater by 200 miles, and I could still commute effectively between the two as needed. I know about the streetcar controversy, but I think that by this point they would have had it worked out. Considering how vast parts of the country views spending money on any kind of infrastructure that may touch tax dollars, it's amazing half our goddamn interstates are functional at all.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Sorry, this whole thing is making me grumbly as hell, probably because 5am is involved to get him to work.

I'm off to a orientation tour at the new jerb. I find out what my actual assignment will be on Thursday.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: SuuCal on September 06, 2016, 04:16:13 PM
Quote from: LMNO on September 06, 2016, 03:52:05 PM

This may be happening this weekend when I'm in South Dakota.

"Yes, I took your car key with me. Well I don't know, I hear there's a bus?"

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 06, 2016, 04:03:38 PM

True, but nothing is as superior as the Northeast Corridor. You know, the part of the country where people come from. The lack of anything other than freeways between San Diego and Los Angeles is fucking unnerving to me, considering the distance between New York and Boston is greater by 200 miles, and I could still commute effectively between the two as needed. I know about the streetcar controversy, but I think that by this point they would have had it worked out. Considering how vast parts of the country views spending money on any kind of infrastructure that may touch tax dollars, it's amazing half our goddamn interstates are functional at all.

California is also not the entire West Coast. Southern California, in particular, is known globally for having a very, very bad transit infrastructure.

And not to point out the obvious, but random surface streets in sparsely populated areas aren't functional; they're pollution. The East Coast has a lot of surface streets connecting everywhere to everywhere else because it's crowded.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Of course, not only is the Pacific Northwest not part of the West Coast, but there's also the point that we don't need streets because we aren't people.
:lulz:

LMNO

Quote from: SuuCal on September 06, 2016, 04:28:20 PM
Sorry, this whole thing is making me grumbly as hell, probably because 5am is involved to get him to work.

I'm off to a orientation tour at the new jerb. I find out what my actual assignment will be on Thursday.

Much as it is amusing to watch, I feel obligated to point out she apologized for kvetching.