News:

TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

While we're at it...

Started by LMNO, January 25, 2007, 01:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Yup.

QuoteThe Machine,Ñ¢ loves to polarize situations in their favour (us/them...good/evil etc) but
immediately reverts to obfuscation & smoke screens the moment someone notices.
People are a fundamental component of the Machine,Ñ¢. The degree to which they are
a component is variable, but essentially being alive and part of a society inducts one
into Machineship,Ñ¢.
Governments are collections of people, regardless of whatever means they were
assembled (democracy, military dictatorship etc etc). so as long as people are
involved, then there must be a potential for Machinist,Ñ¢ features to arise.
When have governments NOT done the things that you isolated as being too specific?
I think an underlying problem is that within the Machine,Ñ¢ are the desires for power
& control for their own sake and the attending problem of holding on to that power
for as long as possible. The points I listed maybe specific manifestations but their
motivation are, I believe, very much part of the greater apparatus that we think is 'the
Machine,Ñ¢'.
-Pope T. Mangrove xvii

Mangrove

well fack me ol' boots.

it's twoo! it's twoo!

ok...groovy.

:-)
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Triple Zero

> I have five boners for Douglas Hofstadter.

FINALLY!!!

someone on this forum who read the damn book!

IT WAS ABOUT FUCKING TIME
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Triple Zero

what?

oh.

oh, because when posting about it on the old BIP forum, i had kinda like the feeling i was talking about something nobody heard of before.

good! very good!

i think it's one of the better mindfucks i ever read, though i must say i'm having a hard time enjoying it just as much the second time i'm reading it.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Mangrove

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Cramulus

Quote from: Vexaph0d
Soon, even weird shit that shouldn't make any sense at all will only reinforce the Machine (TM), even if it isn't intended to sell Product.

I've been chewing on this quote all day and it occurred to me that there's an awful lot of absurdity that's creeping into the mainstream. YTMND, for example. Or viral internet things ("All your base..."). Or the Chuck Norris phenomenon. Or so many crazy tv commercials.

maybe
Ten years from now a man will walk down the street in a gorilla suit, rubbing his crotch or something, and it'll blend in with the background, fading into the whirring machine hum. People will write it off 'cause rather than being shocked by random incomprehensible shit, they're numb to it.

So what rebellion comes after that? How do you shock people that are bored of being shocked?

AFK

1)  I'm not sure I would consider the examples you give to be "absurdity"

2)  You don't have to wait ten years, IMO.  But I think it has more to do with a proclivity to be detached from your surroundings than being numb to absurdity.  It's similar to someone seeing someone broken down on the highway and not having the thought of stopping to offer help ever entering the mind. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

B_M_W

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on January 25, 2007, 09:04:54 PM
Quote from: Vexaph0d
Soon, even weird shit that shouldn't make any sense at all will only reinforce the Machine (TM), even if it isn't intended to sell Product.

I've been chewing on this quote all day and it occurred to me that there's an awful lot of absurdity that's creeping into the mainstream. YTMND, for example. Or viral internet things ("All your base..."). Or the Chuck Norris phenomenon. Or so many crazy tv commercials.

maybe
Ten years from now a man will walk down the street in a gorilla suit, rubbing his crotch or something, and it'll blend in with the background, fading into the whirring machine hum. People will write it off 'cause rather than being shocked by random incomprehensible shit, they're numb to it.

So what rebellion comes after that? How do you shock people that are bored of being shocked?

With as xtian and theocratic as the US is becoming, there will continue to be many things that shock people. Hell, they can't even deal with two men kissing.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Jenne

...or a woman's nipple slippage.

Thurnez Isa

we have abolished our topless laws in this city a few years back
so women have the same rights as men to go topless
sadly no one has taken advantage
:cry:
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

B_M_W

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on January 26, 2007, 01:54:44 AM
we have abolished our topless laws in this city a few years back
so women have the same rights as men to go topless
sadly no one has taken advantage
:cry:

You just wait till the Xtians get up in Canada.  :lulz:
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Thurnez Isa

ohhhhh we got em
the thing is i live in a pretty french town
and it used to be mostly French Roman Catholics, which were pretty laid back (other then those sadistic, crazy, teacher nuns  :cry:)
unfortunately in last about 10 years other freaky Christians like the Jehovah's, Borne Agains, Conservative Babtists, and other Fundamentalists have more of a presence
and the Roman Catholics are dwindling, churches are merging, ect.
Kind of unfortunate really
I used to like the days when i knew my local priest, could talk to him on the bus, and he WASN'T judgemental
but such is progress, or degress, or what have you

I don't miss the crazy french canadian teacher nuns though
my baby sisters is just 4 years yonger then me and they were more or less all gone by the time she reached mid-grade school
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Triple Zero

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on January 25, 2007, 09:04:54 PMI've been chewing on this quote all day and it occurred to me that there's an awful lot of absurdity that's creeping into the mainstream. YTMND, for example. Or viral internet things ("All your base..."). Or the Chuck Norris phenomenon. Or so many crazy tv commercials.

maybe

i think this implies that simply shocking people is not the way to go. it's not the shock that does the mindfuck that causes the thinking that opens the door.
like mooing in a public transport (sorry kaouusu, but i sorta agree with PVS on that -- though that doesn't mean it isn't fun!)

to RWHN: doesn't the fact that you don't think those examples are really absurd, sort of prove the Prof's argument? also, even though All Your Base is oldest hat as anything, if you don't think it's completely absurd to carry a mistranslated japanese text so far, then i think we're talking about a different definition of absurdism ;-)

speaking about absurdism. i could give a lot of examples of more subtle, not-quite-but-seemingly-non-sequitur absurdism that appears in Dutch and Belgian humouristic cartoons (to name a few, Kamagurka, Gummbah, Spekkie Big, Het Stomme Beertje ..).
they often take the shape of "intensely bad jokes", kind of like the link of unfinished jokes i passed in another (or this?) thread to LMNO.
I have organized "the International Day of the Bad Joke" event/party a few times at my students-association (edition 1, 2 1/2 and of course 33 1/3 .. because Bad Jokes aren't supposed to be funny). the main running feature of the event was "the interruption microphone". when somebody had a Bad Joke to share with the audience, they would get on the stage, the music would be stopped, and in utter silence the joke would be told, followed by utter silence (if there was any laughter instead of some painful groaning, obviously it was NOT a Bad Joke and the person would be honed away by the audience "NO PUNS!!!").

An example of a typical Bad Joke (which survives translation rather well):

At his office, an accountant opens the safe. He finds a naked woman inside. Says the accountant "WHERE IS THE MONEY??!"

as preparation for this event i took the task upon myself to let no possibility for a Bad Joke go untold. after practising this a few weeks before the event, I never got rid of the habit afterwards. I enjoy the groaning of utter despair way too much in a sadistic kind of way to not bother people with. (ok I admit, they usually turn out to be incredibly bad far-fetched puns)

LMNO

Triple Zero is now my new short-term personal savior.