News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I mean, he had a job before, but it was data entry and he could do it in the middle of the night from home. Now he's a bartender.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

minuspace

Cain

Bar-tending is a terrible job.

Well, for me it was.  But then, I don't like people much.  Data entry in the middle of the night is definitely more my speed.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 11, 2014, 08:57:13 PM

Well, for me it was.  But then, I don't like people much.  Data entry in the middle of the night is definitely more my speed.

He hates data entry, loves to work with people. And bartending here is a whole different game... bartenders make bank and it's incredibly hard to get a job doing it. It's not uncommon for bartenders to make six figures here.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Today I learned that Guam has 40% more spiders than the rest of the Pacific islands, and a lot of them are invasive Australian species that killed all the birds.

:eek:

This calls for the Nopetopus.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

They have a shit ton of brown tree snakes as well, don't they?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

ARGH I have online homework I need to do, and the website isn't fucking working.  :kingmeh:

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: trix on October 11, 2014, 03:44:47 AM

Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on October 10, 2014, 06:32:52 PM
been, taking it easy since yesterday, on the dvice nurse hotline to get some guidance on what this could be. It's been over a half hour tho and i cant schedule a weekend appointment until tomorrow. Fucking Kaiser. First they refer me to a cult and now this

I hope it works out!  Please share what possibilities they give you as to what it could be.
went to the after hours doc last night, she ruled out lung infection and heart problems so that's good. Says it is probably just a bit of rhinohirus that is still kicking around from when i was sick a few weeks ago. Gave me a prescription for cough syrup (the good shit with codeine in it) and told me to stay hydrated and rest. which is hard to do when you still have to watch after your nephew and drive out to long beach to take a 6 hour CPR course, so i'm just now getting around to self-care. :argh!:
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Suu

Quote from: Your Mom on October 11, 2014, 11:26:06 PM

Yes, and the spiders eat those too.  :kingmeh:

Apparently the spiders and snakes are such a huge problem, the government has air lifted and dropped poisonous dead mice to try to kill them off or something. That didn't work.

From what it's been described to me, it's what happens when you let Australia off of Australia on a tiny island full of American military families, Japanese tourists, and the occasional Micronesian native.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Quote from: Your Mom on October 11, 2014, 11:07:51 PM

He hates data entry, loves to work with people. And bartending here is a whole different game... bartenders make bank and it's incredibly hard to get a job doing it. It's not uncommon for bartenders to make six figures here.

Ah of course, tips.  Makes sense.

Here, I pulled down just above minimum wage, and had to do most of the ordering and maintenance and stupid shit the owners are supposed to do.  I was effectively the manager, which was certainly not reflected in my pay.

Cain

Quote from: The Suu on October 12, 2014, 12:14:52 AM

Uh, I'm not so sure about that, especially given they're about 3-6 feet long.  My understanding was that brown tree snakes ate all the birds which used to hunt spiders, leading to a population explosion, and the only animals which feed on the brown tree snakes are red-bellied black snakes and cane toads.  The former is...not terrible, as far as Australian snakes and invasive species go, but the latter...

Suu

Quote from: Cain on October 12, 2014, 09:37:54 AM

Uh, I'm not so sure about that, especially given they're about 3-6 feet long.  My understanding was that brown tree snakes ate all the birds which used to hunt spiders, leading to a population explosion, and the only animals which feed on the brown tree snakes are red-bellied black snakes and cane toads.  The former is...not terrible, as far as Australian snakes and invasive species go, but the latter...

Is there anything from Australia that is not trying to kill something else?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on October 12, 2014, 05:09:51 PM

Is there anything from Australia that is not trying to kill something else?

FTFY

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 12, 2014, 08:51:21 AM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 11, 2014, 11:07:51 PM

Ah of course, tips.  Makes sense.

Here, I pulled down just above minimum wage, and had to do most of the ordering and maintenance and stupid shit the owners are supposed to do.  I was effectively the manager, which was certainly not reflected in my pay.

Yeah, a good Saturday night here could mean $1000 for the bartender, and that's after tipping out the support staff. And then there's a minimum-wage paycheck at the end of the month.

minuspace

The bufo marinus was a bad choice, it's just too prolific.  Other large toads have more specific breeding profiles, though this also restricts their yearly net consumption.  They don't eat much during periods of non-reproduction.