News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Angry Older Generation:

Started by Cainad (dec.), October 20, 2009, 11:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

The real world is disappearing underneath our feet and right before our eyes. In modern times the spectacle has replaced the real; the image, the perception of things is all that matters anymore. Nothing we do matters unless you buy the t-shirt and update your Facebook status and take some crappy pictures and text everyone to let them know you bought a t-shirt, updated Facebook and put up some crappy pictures on it.

Personal experiences is no longer enough, We rely on a constant stream of inane babble  to validate our existence. Communication has become so easy and so cheap that there is no longer any real information contained in what we say. For every one message that relates to a real physical happening, there are thousands more that amount to nothing beyond "I'm here. Are you there?"

As social animals it is natural for us to derive pleasure from interacting and communicating with each other. But we've made this communication so freely available--in fact you're usually considered something of a social pariah if you don't partake in this modern Soma--that we've become thoroughly dependent on it even as it becomes less and less satisfying. All this endless chatter is like a shower that never gets quite hot enough, so you twist and turn to get as much of yourself under the lukewarm communication as possible. The air chills your skin and you stay in longer and longer because you keep hoping that eventually the water will heat up and you'll finally feel satisfied and clean and be willing to step out into the chilly air. But there's no external power, no reality heating the water; it's just the heat of thousands of other tepid bodies, everyone showering with each other's runoff so it never gets above body temperature and we never get clean.

My generation has destroyed information. The world ends not in fire or in ice, it ends not with a bang or a whimper...

But with a Tweet.

The Good Reverend Roger

That's okay, you may have destroyed information, but we destroyed your economy, your arable land, your drinking water, and your faith in every institution we rely on to run things.

Sorry about that, kid.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: I love this.

But as an angry older person, I feel obliged to point out that kids today are WAY better than my generation was. My generation was a bunch of self-centered, antisocial assholes. Kids today care more, have better manners, and do more socially responsible things.

Probably as a backlash against what a bunch of narcissistic wastrel twats we were.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh. TGRR already said it, and better.

Yeah, sorry about that.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hey look, this is me NOT BEING IN MY STUDIO 40 minutes after I said I was going to go there. No wonder I don't make any money.

The Good Reverend Roger

My generation viewed bullying as a noble sport.

And we kicked the shit out of anything we didn't understand.  The previous generations were worse.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 20, 2009, 11:46:44 PM

And we kicked the shit out of anything we didn't understand.  The previous generations were worse.

Yeah. Kids today will have a hard time digging out of the hole we put them in, won't they? God, what assholes we are.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on October 20, 2009, 11:48:04 PM

Yeah. Kids today will have a hard time digging out of the hole we put them in, won't they? God, what assholes we are.

Yep.  And the "middle" between my generation and my father's generation is most at fault (people that are 50-55 right now).  The boomers get a bad rap.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 20, 2009, 11:44:19 PM
That's okay, you may have destroyed information, but we destroyed your economy, your arable land, your drinking water, and your faith in every institution we rely on to run things.

Sorry about that, kid.

How I reacted to this:

:x --> :horrormirth: --> :lulz:

Quote from: Nigel on October 20, 2009, 11:45:29 PM
:lulz: I love this.

But as an angry older person, I feel obliged to point out that kids today are WAY better than my generation was. My generation was a bunch of self-centered, antisocial assholes. Kids today care more, have better manners, and do more socially responsible things.

Probably as a backlash against what a bunch of narcissistic wastrel twats we were.

Aw, auntie Nigel has faith in us! :)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 20, 2009, 11:49:17 PM

Yep.  And the "middle" between my generation and my father's generation is most at fault (people that are 50-55 right now).  The boomers get a bad rap.

Yeah, it was totally the leading edge of Generation X that fucked us over the hardest, with the full encouragement of the Reagan generation.

The Good Reverend Roger

We've also been sure to have WAY too many kids, world-wide.  Now the planet is turning into desert.

You're welcome.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on October 20, 2009, 11:55:47 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 20, 2009, 11:49:17 PM

Yeah, it was totally the leading edge of Generation X that fucked us over the hardest, with the full encouragement of the Reagan generation.

Hunter S Thompson called them "A generation of swine...thick wallets, thin necks, and low foreheads".

Remington

Um, hello, older generation.

See, I've got a problem. I inherited the earth, sure, but I think it's broken. May I have another one?
Is it plugged in?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 20, 2009, 11:56:23 PM
We've also been sure to have WAY too many kids, world-wide.  Now the planet is turning into desert.

You're welcome.

:lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sir Remington III on October 20, 2009, 11:58:05 PM
Um, hello, older generation.

See, I've got a problem. I inherited the earth, sure, but I think it's broken. May I have another one?

There's Mars. Go to town.