Main Menu

Reverend Never and Me: God

Started by A.N. Other, April 11, 2008, 03:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.N. Other

Reverend Never: Do you believe in God?
Me: I'm not too sure if I do.
Never: Why's that?
Me: The idea that an intangible being created everything just seems to much like a copout. Instead of actually trying to find an answer, some people just seem content to just place all under the 'God' file.
Never: Well, you could just be making thing more complicated then things are. It could be just that simple.
Me: It could be, yes, yet science makes new discoveries every day. They're constantly figuring things out.
Never: Sure, they figured out that it's gravity that's keeping people from floating out into space, but they have yet to where or why gravity works.
Me: You're going to dredge up that old argument?
Never: Well, it's not only that. What about atoms? We know they make us, but what makes the things that make the atoms?
Me: Some scientists have noted that the electrons or whatever they are called come in and out of existence.
Never: First, so? Why do they come in and out of existence, and how does random electrons doing as they please form us and the universe? Second, why only some scientists?
Me: Well, some scientists are just as dogmatic as religious folk; sometimes even more so because they are supported by facts. They would hate to think that their law 'matter cannot be either made or destroyed' could be false.
Never: Before you answer my first half of my question, do you believe electrons come in and out of existence?
Me: Well, yeah. I mean, I can't be made of the same number of atoms I was made of when I was smaller. Or, take a tree. The idea that the same number of atoms that make up a seed make the tree. Where does all the extra atoms come from? If the 'matter cannot' law is true, wouldn't the universe be shrinking rather then expanding?
Never: So then you would agree with me that science can't explain everything?
Me: I never said it did. I just said I'd rather know an answer then assume one. I just said so in a rather roundabout way.
Never: So then why wouldn't the idea of a God satisfy your unknowns? If you don't want to assume an answer, then how do you explain things that you don't know?
Me: You mean like the way I explained why I didn't like the God Theory?
Never: Yes. You just can't explain everything away.
Me: I suppose it's how I view things. I see God as a logic puzzle of philosophy. Others view God as a fact. 'You cannot leave the observer out of the observation,' or however the quote goes.
Never: That raises another question. Is God a facet of spirituality or of science?
Me: Both. Spirituality is something humans feel and humans can be, just to cut the explanation a little short, experimented on.
Never: You mean, answers found to?
Me: Yeah.
Never: Spirituality is an emotion that people can feel. Emotions do exist, be they are chemicals of the brain or not. Using your train of logic, God exists.
Me: No, spirituality, the feeling that something greater, is real. If that thing actually exists is a different question. The being called 'God' is outside the emotion and isn't part of spirituality. If anything, God is more of a question of science. Still, it works for both. Of course, we could be asking the wrong questions.
Never: Huh?
Me: We keep asking if God exists. It's only part of the question. See, we humans and our universe live in finite space, and God, if the rumors are true, is a being of infinity. Our question should be, 'Does God exist in a finite environment?' The answer there would be no.
Never: How so?
Me: Infinity can't fit inside boundaries.
Never: But our universe doesn't have a wall surrounding it, does it?
Me: Depends on what scientist you ask.
Never: Of course, the Multiple Universes theory. But what then is in-between the universes?
Me: Well, this is where things get tricky. If you take a thing of finite space, say like a planet, that means there is less infinity then there was before because that infinity is being taken up. I mean, where does the infinity go when you put something in it? Can infinity be displaced? If so, where does it get displaced to?
Never: Well, I...uh...
Me: Infinity can't be displaced; it has nowhere to go. So, there is no such thing as 'infinity' and would mean that God is logically impossible. Unless you can believe in less infinity then before...
Never: Err, logically, then, perhaps. But, God can do whatever. All-powerful, isn't--
Me: All the terminology we put to God is human. God, if in existence, isn't human and not subject to human thought or words.
Never: So, what are you saying?
Me: God could exist, but if It does, probably not in the way humans think.
Never: So, you're agnostic about the whole thing?
Me: Didn't I mean when I said I wasn't too sure.
Never: I suppose so.
"Wow, for an asshole, everyone loves you, honey." -My wife

Cainad (dec.)

:mittens:

I once wrote something kinda like this. I ended up coming to the conclusion that the existence or nonexistence of God is a moot point, also using the concept of infinity.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on April 11, 2008, 03:43:23 AM

I once wrote something kinda like this. I ended up coming to the conclusion that the existence or nonexistence of God is a moot point, also using the concept of infinity.

Rubbish.  You'll be sneering out the other side of your mouth when Jehovah1 eats your soul.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Payne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 11, 2008, 03:48:53 AM

Rubbish.  You'll be sneering out the other side of your mouth when Jehovah1 eats your soul.

:news:

:lulz:

Cainad (dec.)

Yeah, but my soul is moot.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on April 11, 2008, 03:51:24 AM

Yeah, but my soul is moot.

YOUR SOUL IS HAGGIS, SINNER!

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Vene

Mmmm, tasty sinner soul.

And if there is a god, fuck her.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Vene on April 11, 2008, 04:04:54 AM
Mmmm, tasty sinner soul.

Hush your mouth.  Remember what happened last time.

Vene

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 11, 2008, 04:13:14 AM
Mmmm, tasty sinner soul.

She turned out to be a man?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Vene on April 11, 2008, 05:01:05 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 11, 2008, 04:13:14 AM
Mmmm, tasty sinner soul.

She turned out to be a man?

No, some hippie ran around Jerusalem for 3 years, and people haven't shut up about it for 20 centuries.

Vene

Requia ☣

*beats the OP over the head with an atrophysics textbook*

Learn the dogma before you tear it down.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Triple Zero

the arguments from both sides in the OP are so full of bullshit and completely missing the point that i don't even know where to begin.

and even if we ignore shit like "where do the extra atoms come from?" and "infinity can't fit inside boundaries", it's still mental masturbation that goes nowhere. either you come to the conclusion that god exists or that he doesn't or that you don't know or that it's irrelevant .. and really, you know that's not going to change anything about either party's worldview anyway. word-fencing with christians, brings you where, exactly?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.