News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Recruiting the unrecruited

Started by LMNO, January 07, 2008, 03:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on January 08, 2008, 03:57:04 PM
I wouldn't steal my wallet, cause there's never anything worth stealing in it. :cry:

I'd probably punch myself in the face.

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 08, 2008, 03:10:08 PM
MySpace Discordians, Pinealists, 23Fnord Spouting ChaoKids, etc etc etc all seem incredibly useful to me... the potential for mayhem increases with every actual body we can attract.

I concur on this. I don't want to "convert" people, as it were, but I would be interested in building more of a.... network, I guess.

That, I think, seems to be the current goal (based on discussion in O:MF thread about FSM)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jasper

The spreading of ideas is what we're trying to achieve.  This is best done by talking to and exchanging ideas with people who do a lot of that with other people.  Talk's cheap.  We just need to talk to the right people and see what they think, and whether or not our talks are successful, we'll have inserted the ideas into their subconsciousness, which will stay there forever adn slowly if not quickly spread throughout the collective perception. 

In short, let's just talk to as many talkers as possible.

What I wouldn't give to see Rog talk to Larry King.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

Last time I brought a Discordian I knew from IRL to this board, she got fed up with the self-contradictory "YUOR DOING IT WRONG N00B" shtick and later deleted her account. Now I'm dating her. Totally unrelated.

My current girlfriend was a Discordian and had an account on this forum long before I met her. At some point, she introduced one of HER IRL Discordian friends to this place. That girl had more or less the same reaction - after two weeks, not only did she vow to never come back to PD, but also said that she will never again seek out other Discordians. Kind of sad, but that's sometimes the climate here.

Quote from: Felix on January 08, 2008, 06:10:55 PM
What I wouldn't give to see Rog talk to Larry King.

QFT

but did anyone see the Hunter S. Durden interview on Larry King?

Cain

Alright then, how do we link up this with what was being discussed on the last page of this http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=14768.165

LMNO

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on January 09, 2008, 03:57:13 PM
My current girlfriend was a Discordian and had an account on this forum long before I met her.

What was her screename?

Cain

LMNO

Cain

It was about 9 months ago, I think.

LMNO

Oh.  I can't remember her.

By the way, does anyone else kind of giggle when a Discordian writes off an entire group of people ("she will never again seek out other Discordians") because of the actions of a small handful (the dozen or so asshats on this board)?

Cain

Yes.  But I also get annoyed, because we're not exactly swimming in manpower.

Cramulus

yeah I thought it was kind of extreme too, but the point stands. As Ratatosk is fond of pointing out, we make cole slaw out of cabbages. There's no training course for what we consider n00bs, just the standard "Get it right in 50 posts or god help you if you don't GTFO"

Cain

Yes, that is kind of a problem.  Though Roger's advice to the n00bs (pinned, Apple Talk) is pretty helpful.

How would you suggest making a change?

LMNO

I'm finding it hard to find the line between "be nicer to people" and "suffer fools gladly".

PS - I can't find Soy Letchin on the memberlist.

Cain

Because she deleted her account.

Go back far enough and you'll find guest posts made with that name.

I think a more pro-active approach could be a better thing.  I just want ideas on how to approach it.