News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

British election - it's on like Donkey Kong

Started by Cain, February 22, 2010, 03:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Rainy Day Pixie on April 18, 2010, 04:47:02 AM
I got my registration form in and my constituency is one that changes with each change of government, after I got Payne to check the history.

The parties running in Southampton Test are Tory, Labour, Liberal Democrats , UKIP and the Greens, I am having a time deciding between the Green party and Liberal Democrats.

I may just flip a coin. 

Was reading in the paper today that Lib-Dems are surprisingly high up in polls, so that might be the way to play it.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Payne

Quote from: Placid Dingo on April 19, 2010, 08:32:09 AM
Quote from: Rainy Day Pixie on April 18, 2010, 04:47:02 AM
I got my registration form in and my constituency is one that changes with each change of government, after I got Payne to check the history.

The parties running in Southampton Test are Tory, Labour, Liberal Democrats , UKIP and the Greens, I am having a time deciding between the Green party and Liberal Democrats.

I may just flip a coin. 

Was reading in the paper today that Lib-Dems are surprisingly high up in polls, so that might be the way to play it.

Though I do find sympathy for the other goal:

Getting this ^ supremely bearded eco-warrior his deposit back.

The Greens took 3.5% of the vote last time out, and I expect voter turnout to be lower and a much higher percentage than usual will vote for the small parties (UKIP and The Greens, in this constituency). 5% of the vote is not entirely unrealistic, and I think the guy could really use his 500 euro pounds back for to buy hookers and blow and have a good time.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Look at that face. I don't think he's a hookers and blow guy, more guitar amps and fairtrade organic beer.

Or a new trailer for his bicycle.

Payne

Quote from: Rainy Day Pixie on April 19, 2010, 11:48:57 AM
Look at that face. I don't think he's a hookers and blow guy, more guitar amps and fairtrade organic beer.

Or a new trailer for his bicycle.

Everyone is a hookers and blow guy.

Everyone. Even the Queen.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Also, I am amused by the idea of him looking uncomfortable in a suit come the count.

Cain

I'm tempted to vote Lib Dem, if only to see Michael Gove and Bob Ainsworth spazz out on TV all over again.  Watching the two main parties flap their hands and shriek is endlessly entertaining.

Pope Pixie Pickle

So are most of us voting for the lulz factor?

Does anyone have any faith in the electoral system in the UK?

Cain

The what now?  The electoral system where a party can get 36% of the vote and yet gain 55% of the seats?  That electoral system?

This is not the whiskey sexy democracy I signed up for.

Pope Pixie Pickle

yea, I thought as much.

Bring on proportional representation.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Rainy Day Pixie on April 20, 2010, 12:01:29 AM
yea, I thought as much.

Bring on proportional representation.

Careful what you wish for.  You could wind up with our house of reps, which serve as our nation's supply of wet/dry martini vacuums.
Molon Lube

Payne

I'mma be voting Lib Dem in the election, but not for the lulz. Not for their policies either, like. I just think they're the only viable non-Tory party and I hate Tories.

Here are my options:

Alex Johnstone (Conservative) born 1961, Kincardineshire. Educated at Mackie Academy. Former diary farmer. MSP for North East Scotland since 1999. Conservative chief whip in the Scottish Parliament 2001-2003, rural development spokesman from 2003. Contested Gordon 1999 Scottish Parliament elections, Angus 2003 Scottish Parliament elections, West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine 2005.

Sir Robert Smith(Liberal Democrat) 3rd Baronet (his grandfather was Conservative MP for the same seat prior to the Second World War). Born 1958. Educated at Merchant Taylor`s School and the University of Aberdeen. Married with three children. Managed the family estate in Aberdeenshire before his election in 1997. A former member of the SDP prior to the Liberal/SDP merger, he contested Aberdeen South for the SDP in 1987. He was Liberal Democrat Deputy Chief whip between 2001 and 2006. Lib Dem shadow deputy leader of the Commons since 2008. Backed Sir Menzies Campbell in the 2006 leadership race.

Yes, I'm voting for the local almost-but-not-quite Aristocrat.

Cain

SDP should put him on the left of the Lib Dems, at least.